Thin-and-Crispy Sausage and Mushroom Pizza

Deadly Sushi

Formerly The Giant Mojito
cookbook_cover.jpg

1 whole-wheat flour, 96% fat-free tortilla (8" diameter)
1/3 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
1/4 cup sauce from Superior Spaghetti and Meatballs (page 190) or jarred low-fat, low-sodium marinara sauce
1/2 cup (1 ounce) finely shredded, low-fat mozzarella cheese
1 recipe sausage from Individual Sausage-Rigatoni Bake (page 186)
Red-pepper flakes (optional)

Preheat the oven to 400°F.

Place the tortilla on a small nonstick baking sheet. Bake for 4 or 5 minutes per side, or until crisp. If air bubbles form, poke them with a fork, then use a spatula or oven mitt to press out the air. Meanwhile, mist a small nonstick skillet with olive oil spray. Set over medium heat. Add the mushrooms. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes, or until tender. Set aside.

Top the tortilla evenly in layers with the sauce, cheese, reserved mushrooms, and sausage. Season with red-pepper flakes, if desired.

Bake for 2 to 4 minutes, or until cheese is completely melted. Slice into 4 wedges. Serve immediately.

Makes 1 serving
Per serving: 321 calories, 30 g protein, 33 g carbohydrates, 9 g fat (2 g saturated), 65 mg cholesterol, 5 g fiber, 626 mg sodium

It is critical that you do not attempt to make a pizza "crust" from a low-carb tortilla. It will smoke and burn, without becoming crisp.

RNE228

Got the stuff, gonna try it tonite. This is similar to the one Big_Al posted. I also got some shallots; I'll slice them sliver thin and sprinkle on top. Also, I got the dark brown mushrooms; tend to have more flavor.

I think this would be good with lean Canadian Bacon, Shallots, and garden fresh basil leaf.

RNE228

Made this last night. It was pretty good.I see why everything is pre-cooked; the pizza is not cooked long enough, like a regular one.

I used a lean Italian suasage, and added shallots.

Everyone really like it(me, wife, and son).

I think this would be a fun one to do up for company, and have more ingredients prepped. Then let everyone "build" their own.