Homemade noodle recipe request

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I bet you all make some great home made noodles. Will you share your recipe here? Thanks in advance! :thumb:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Here are two pasta doughs I've tried the first is by Mario Batali which is real close to my grandmothers. The second is one I really liked a bit better by Warren (UnConundrum) from his site.

Basic Pasta Dough

3 1/2 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
4 extra-large eggs
1/2 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil

Directions
Mound 3 1/2 cups of the flour in the center of a large wooden cutting board. Make a well in the middle of the flour and add the eggs and olive oil. Using a fork, beat together the eggs and oil and begin to incorporate the flour, starting with the inner rim of the well. As you expand the well, keep pushing the flour up from the base of the mound to retain the well shape.

The dough will come together when half of the flour is incorporated. At this point, start kneading the dough with both hands, using the palms of your hands.
Once there is a cohesive mass, remove the dough from the board and scrape up and discard any leftover bits. Lightly reflour the board and continue kneading for 6 more minutes. The dough should be elastic and a little sticky.

Wrap the dough in plastic and allow to rest for 30 minutes at room temperature.
Roll or shape as desired.

Pasta Dough - Warren ( http://www.recipesonrails.com/ )

Ingredients:
0.21 lb. Flour, all-purpose
0.21 lb. flour, semolina
0.25 tsp. salt
1.0 tsp. Oil, Olive
2.0 each Egg

Instructions:
1. Place all ingredients into bowl of a food processor.

2. Process till everything comes together. Knead briefly, and place under a bowl to rest for 20 minutes.

3. Divide the dough in half, picking one half to work with. Place other half back under bowl while you work. Pass the dough through the various steps of a pasta machine, until you reach the desired thickness.

4. Once you've reached the desired thickness, you can use as desired. If making fettuccine, let the uncut dough sit on table a bit to dry out some. Make sure it doesn't stick to the table. Cut as desired.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
This is a recipe that was torn out of Cuisine at Home that my in-laws used forever to make turkey and noodles for Thanksgiving. I found the recipe in the bottom of the pasta machine box that they gave us and have been using it ever since.

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup cake flour
5 eggs
1 T extra-virgin olive oil​

Mix the dry ingredients in a large mixing bow. Beat together the wet ingredients in a separate bowl. Using your hands, mix the two together until you get a soft ball. Dust with a little flour if the ball is too sticky. Divide into quarters, wrap in plastic wrap, and let rest for at least 15 minutes.​

You can either roll it out by hand and cut it with a pizza cutter or use a pasta machine.

I think this pic was from a couple of Thanksgivings back, and I can't remember if I used turkey leg/thigh pieces or chicken pieces for this batch:​

P1010017.jpg

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
4 egg yolks
1 t salt
2 t baking powder
3 c flour
milk

Sift the dry ingredients together.
Add the eggs, then some milk until it starts to hold together.
Roll it out on a floured surface to the thickness you want the noodles to be.
Use a sharp knife or a pizza cutter to cut them.
Let them dry overnight covered with a towel.

That's how my Grams used to do it.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Oh. My. God. Cooksie!

That pot looks like Heaven on Earth!!

Did you use a pasta machine to get those uniform noodles/fettucini?

Lee

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Oh. My. God. Cooksie!

That pot looks like Heaven on Earth!!

Did you use a pasta machine to get those uniform noodles/fettucini?

Lee

Thanks!

I use a pasta machine. I don't think that I could get them thin enough just rolling them out by hand, but my in-laws did it all the time before they bought the pasta set.

Constance

This recipe is for chicken and noodles, but you can skip the chicken and just use canned broth or even water.

INGREDIENTS:
1 chicken, boiled, boned and cut up
4 qts broth from chicken
2 eggs
3 cups flour
1 tbl dried parsley, or 1/4 cup fresh chopped Italian parsley
few drops yellow food coloring
salt, pepper

DIRECTIONS:
Season chicken broth to taste with salt, pepper, parsley and a few drops yellow food color. If there isn't enough liquid to make 4 qts, add canned broth or water. *Break eggs in 2 cup measure, beat, and add enough cooled broth to fill cup. Mix well. Put 2 cups flour in large bowl, make a well in center, and add egg mixture. With a fork, work in flour till dough forms a a ball. Put on floured pastry cloth or board. Knead lightly, working in just enough flour so the dough can be rolled. Too much flour will make the noodles tough. Roll out as thin as possible. Using a pizza cutter dipped in flour, cut dough in 1-1/2" strips, then cut the other way to make squares, dropping into boiling broth as you go.* After all are in, cook over med heat at a gentle simmer till almost tender, about an hour. Add chicken and continue simmering until chicken is warm. Adjust seasoning.

*note* Cut into narrow strips if you desire. There is a hand-held tool for this that looks kind of like a disk that goes on a tractor, but I can't remember what it's called. I think it works better than the pasta machine.
*The food coloring is optional, but it makes the dish look much more appetizing. If you're averse to using food coloring, you might try adding a little turmeric.
*You may freeze uncooked noodles on cookie sheet between layers of waxed paper, then remove to a ziplock bag when frozen. Just drop frozen noodles into boiling broth when needed.
*For a more flavorful broth, cook chopped celery, onions, carrots and minced garlic along with chicken and let simmer till chicken is falling of the bone. Strain broth before using if you wish.
*If you want a creamier broth, add a little milk just before serving.

Last edited: