Green bean casseroles, Paula Deen's and Bon Appetit's

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
OH MY GOD, is this good!!!

I grew up with the old canned bean version, and I've always liked it pretty well, but THIS is SO much better! Fresh beans, fresh mushrooms, butter (natch), cheese ... oh yeah!

This was all that was left, and I remembered to take a picture of the leftovers before I put them in the fridge.

I will never make it any other way, now!

Lee

Paula Deen’s Green Bean Casserole

Servings

servings​

INGREDIENTS

• 3 cups chicken broth
  • 2 cups sliced fresh green beans
  • 1/3 cup butter
  • 1/2 cup diced onion
  • 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
  • 1 (10 1/4 -oz) can cream of mushroom soup
  • 1 (2 7/8 -oz) can French fried onion rings
  • Pinch of salt, pepper, and garlic powder
  • 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
DIRECTIONS

• Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease 1 1.5-quart baking dish with oil or butter.
  • In a saucepan, add the chicken broth and bring to a boil.
  • Add the green beans and cook for 10 minutes.
  • In a large skillet, add the butter. Once melted, add the onions and mushrooms and stir.
  • Drain the green beans and add them to the onions and mushrooms.
  • Stir in the mushroom soup, onion rings, and seasonings.
  • Pour the mixture into the greased baking dish.
  • Bake the casserole for 20 minutes. Top with grated cheese and bake for 10 more minutes, or until the cheese is melted. Enjoy!

Last edited:

homecook

Ooh that looks and sounds great, Lee! I'm going to try this for Turkey day...

I once made the traditional casserole with fresh beans........the only thing is I didn't par-cook them first. LOL What a disaster.....

Mr. Green Jeans

Lee, you'll note the first two responses are Ohioans as green bean casserole is the state dish. Your post ramps it up quite a bit!
~transplanted Buckeye so that makes it three in a row LOL!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
You guys have a state dish???!!!

Does every state have one? LOL! Cool!

Lee

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Well, I said that I would never make another green bean casserole besides Paula Deen's, but since my father hates any dish with melted cheese in or on it, I went searching for another recipe.

BINGO!!! The parm cheese adds flavor, not melty or gooey and Dad loved the dish.

Just getting around to posting this, but I did make it for Thanksgiving. It's delicious, and I WILL make this again!

Green Bean Casserole, Bon Appetit’s https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/bas-best-green-bean-casserole

Ingredients
8 servings

2 pounds green beans

Kosher salt
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 pound cremini mushrooms, sliced, divided
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
4 large sprigs thyme
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 ¼ cups whole milk
1 cup heavy cream
4 garlic cloves, finely grated
½ cup grated Parmesan
Freshly ground black pepper
¾ cup French’s fried onions

Preparation
Step 1

Preheat oven to 375°. Working in batches, cook green beans in a large pot of boiling salted water until bright green and halfway to tenderness, about 3 minutes per batch. Drain and let cool; trim stem ends. (Lee's note: I trimmed and cut the beans first, and cooked them all at once).

Step 2

Heat 1 Tbsp. oil in a large skillet over medium-high. Cook half of mushrooms, without stirring, until golden brown underneath, about 2 minutes. Toss and continue to cook, tossing occasionally, until browned on both sides, about 3 minutes more. Add 2 Tbsp. butter and 2 thyme sprigs to pan. Cook, tossing occasionally, until butter browns and mushrooms are dark brown and very tender, about 4 minutes longer. Season with salt and transfer to a plate. Repeat with 2 Tbsp. butter, salt, and remaining oil, mushrooms, and thyme. (I did cook the mushrooms this way in 2 batches).

Step 3

Melt remaining 2 Tbsp. butter in a large saucepan over medium-low. Whisk in flour and cook, whisking occasionally, until roux is golden brown and smells mildly nutty, about 4 minutes. Whisk in milk and cream. Increase heat and bring to a simmer, whisking often, and cook until béchamel sauce is thick and bubbling, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and whisk in garlic and Parmesan; season with salt and pepper. (This takes longer than opening a can of mushroom soup, but is worth it!)

Step 4

Arrange green beans and mushrooms in a 2-qt. baking dish. Pour sauce over (it may not look like enough, but it will get saucier as it bakes). Cover tightly with foil and bake until sauce is bubbling, 25–30 minutes. Uncover and continue to bake until casserole is lightly browned on top and around the edges, 15–20 minutes longer. Top with fried onions and continue to bake just until onions are slightly darker and fragrant, about 3 minutes. Let sit 10 minutes to set before serving.

Before the sauce and fried onions
Green bean casserole 1.JPG

Plated
Green bean casserole 2.JPG

Last edited: