Buckytom's Mango Salsa

buckytom

Grill Master
Buckytom's Mango Salsa
i made this the other night, and it was delicious and simple, and it goes with a ton of dishes - especially grilled meats. i think i must have gleaned a few ideas from watching ming tsai, and maybe bobby flay to come up with the idea and ingredients.

ingredients:

1 ripe mango
1 stalk of celery
2 cloves of garlic
4 scallions
1 large jalapeno
1 large roma or plum tomato
2 red radishes
evoo
balsamic vinegar
s&p

cut mango into roughly 1/4" cubes.

slice celery into thirds lengthwise, then across for a small dice. mince garlic.

cut scallions into small hockey pucks, using both white and firm green parts.

remove core, seeds, and pith from a halved jalapeno. cut into thin juliienne strips, then across for a fine dice.

core tomato and cut into small dice.

cut radishes into small dice, as you would an onion.

add all ingredients to a bowl, drizzle with a few tbsps of evoo, a few splashes of balsamic vinegar, and s&p to taste. mix well and refrigerate.

serve as a side or over top of grilled or broiled meats.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I'm not much on cooked fruits on my meat (just my particular preference), but this marinated fruit/vegetable combo sounds like a great topper. It's good to see some more of the guys posting some recipes. :mrgreen:

urmaniac46

cut scallions into small hockey pucks, using both white and firm green parts.

Are you sure they are not gonna fly off the cutting board and break your teeth?

The recipe sounds very good seriously... mangos are still pretty much of a novelty amongst Roman shoppers, at the market I have seen several bemused folks gawking at the fruit and ponder aloud "but what the hell do we do with these?" We have bragged about our advanced knowledge with them a few times, now this can be added to our answers:mrgreen:

buckytom

Grill Master
a friend just searched this here and made this:wave:, so i'm bumping it.

a tip; buy jamaican mangoes when possible, especially if the have a faintly "pine-y" smell. that is like sweet pine sap. those are the best, imo.

and radishes should almost taste like you bit into a peppercorn.

High Cheese

Saucier
Everytime I hear "mango salsa" I can't help but think of

geico_caveman.jpg

buckytom

Grill Master
lol, that's where it all started. well, sort of.

i had roast quail with mango salsa in a restaurant a long time ago. back when salsas frescas became a big thing with the hispanic rise in pop culture. later, when i saw that commercial, i decided to try to make my own version. that's when i fell in love with mangoes. something about their earthy sweetness.