Spicy Szechuan Eggrolls

High Cheese

Saucier
I woke up wanting something spicy like a taco, but I'm bored of tacos, so I came up with these eggrolls. Plus, I really wanted to dig into that bag of Szechuan peppercorns I bought a while back. :mrgreen:

Like most of these types of recipes, the quantities aren't important and the ingredients can be changed to infinity. lol

Here's my Spicy Szechuan Eggrolls

2 boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into thin strips (the smaller the better for rolling)
2T Szechuan peppercorns
1T coarse salt
prepared Spicy Szechuan sauce or Hoisin would work too
low sodium Soy sauce
Finely shredded cabbage
Finely juliened carrot
juliened chiles, your choice, I used Habanero and long green pepper
Chopped green onion
2T minced garlic
1T minced ginger
eggroll wrappers
peanut oil

IMG_7683-1.jpg

The flavorful part of the Szechuan peppercorn is the red husk. To get the flavor without the papery texture you can lightly toast the pepper in a pan, add coarse salt and blend in a spice blender or I use a coffe grinder. You can use a mortise/pestle just pick out some of the larger pieces.

IMG_7684.jpg

Marinate the chicken with the Szechuan peppercorn/salt mixture, 2-3T soy, 1T Szechuan sauce, garlic, ginger and about 3T chopped green onion. 20 minutes or so.

IMG_7685.jpg

Saute the chicken mixture in a hot skillet with 1-2t peanut oil. About 3/4 way through add about 2T water to deglaze the pan into a sauce and coat the chicken. Finish cooking and set aside to cool a bit in a bowl.

Assemble the eggrolls. I need more practice at that. lol You might want to make sure you have really small pieces, maybe even dice the chicken after it's cooked. Mine wasn't too bad, but with the smaller cut filling it would have looked a little prettier.

IMG_7686.jpg

Heat some peanut oil in a skillet over med to high heat, just enough oil for about 1/4" depth to pan fry instead of deep fry. Just cook the roll until nicely browned on all sides and place on a papertowel to dry.

I reduced some soy sauce and added some more green onion for garnish.

:tiphat:

IMG_7688.jpg

High Cheese

Saucier
If you haven't tried Szechuan peppercorns before you're in for a surprise. They are a tad spicy like black pepper but with a floral/citrus accent. The heat stays on the tip of your tongue like a tingly, buzzing sensation. Nothing like a jalapeno or anything along those lines.

Thanks for this!! I'll definitely have to try them since I have a large jar of Szechuan Peppercorns begging for use. So far they've only made their way into a pot of Hot & Sour Soup.

I particularly like the fact that you pan-fry these instead of deep-frying, since I never deep-fry anything anymore. Way too much wasted oil & way too much temp control required - for me at least!

High Cheese

Saucier
I particularly like the fact that you pan-fry these instead of deep-frying, since I never deep-fry anything anymore. Way too much wasted oil & way too much temp control required - for me at least!

Yeah, we don't deep fry either. Plus, the chicken is fully cooked so you are really only cooking the wrapper.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Wooooooooooow! So luscious-looking, HC!! What a great job!

I agree with the posters above, who don't deep-fry. It's a pain. I just pan-fry stuff in oil 1/4 to 1/2 deep.

I still save the oil, but keep fish-fry oil separate from other-fry oil.

Lee