If you're young...

phreak

I don't get it...Are you saying anyone too young to have been to woodstock is probably a dumbass?

buckytom

Grill Master
lol, no. i wasn't making a point about a specific generation. the older you get, the dumber young people seem. the woodstock generation was a bunch of dumb asses to the wwii generation, and so on.

since you ask for a reason for my thread, i guess ill go with this:

i work with a couple of very intelligent 20 somethings, but they have more interest in how they smell, how they look in their clothes, and how to have an original hair style than in important matters of the day. the woodstock generation did the look and the hair, and still managed to change the course of our history.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I dunno, BT. Woodstock was not for everybody. Maybe you, if you'd been old enough, but not for me.

I was 15 and had NO interest in going, though a couple of my "looser" girlfriends went.

I was always conservative, never anywhere close to a hippie, and certainly not a revolutionary. I couldn't stand listening to Bob Dylan, Neil Young, Janis Joplin, and others who had terrible voices (I am big on vocals, and don't agree with "it's not HOW they sang, it's WHAT they sang"). I avoid Jimi Hendrix at all costs.

I never subscribed to the "if it feels good, do it" or "if you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with" that was so prevalent in the 70's.

And the physical conditions of the concert .... uck.

Woodstock would have been torture for me.

Did the generation change the course of history? Sure, but every generation does.

I should have been in my 20's in the 40's or even 50's. I was born too late.

Lee

buckytom

Grill Master
different strokes, qsis, of course. that's what freedom nutures.

the pbs specials i'd mentioned that were on today weren't just about woodstock, but a historical perspective of the late 60's.

yes, every generation has an effect, but not all actually change things radically for the better. the sexual revolution, civil rights, women's rights, and gay rights all were born of that generation. everything is still screwed up, but at least most people who are willing to work have a fair shot at pursuing happiness. our unalienable right.

at least it's a start. that's why it's so important for young people to know how we got here, and to take us where we're going.

:soapbox:

and lol about being born too late. i think i should have been born in the early 1800's.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
i think i should have been born in the early 1800's.

Maybe you were, one time around, Tom.

There are one or two people I know who I am convinced have been here before. They are young people with "old souls".

I know of very small children who inexplicably know things that they couldn't know in their brief lives.

You, or whatever it is that makes you YOU, (soul, essence, "intelligent energy", etc.) may have been here in the 1800's, BT.

Lee

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
I was born just at the right time. Video games, digital music, the internet, and now Twitter! :thumb:

Lefty

Yank
I was 7 during Woodstock so I couldn't go, but I will say I was influnced by the music of the time. I was what you would call a very young hippie.

homecook

I was 15 and it was a great time especially the music........I was a hippie/love child. lol The bf and I were trying to think of ways that we could go without getting caught. Dumb kids!!

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
I "could" have been there having been in a college rock band during the British invasion and loving all the music of the generation. However, by August, '69 I was too busy learning my own version of saving the world....

Attachments

• A6bombload.jpg
    A6bombload.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 104

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I was married with 3 small kids so never even thought about it then or now. :sorry:

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
I was almost 19 when the long haired hippie wierdo freaks went to Woodstock. Never was into that music of the day, and I was working full time and going to engineering school at night. I watched the hippes of the day burning up their brain tissue with every sort of controlled substances, and could not understand why they were doing it. I guess I was old before my time. Three months after Woodstock I was in the USAF and proud to be supporting my country.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I was right at 12 months away from being born when Woodstock went down. By that gauge, I suppose I’m young (certainly don’t feel young these days! :lol:). And whether that moniker holds true or not, I find many, many, MANY people around me to be utterly brain dead – no matter their age. :yum:

125osnp.jpg

buckytom

Grill Master
lol, peep.

it's far better to oscillate a tit a lot, than to tittilate an ocelot.

buzz, my brother was on the ground below your sorties, so i have the utmost respect for those who served. stopping the war was one incredible thing, but what many did to returning servicemen was a crime, imo. lots to think about.

that's why it's so important for those still wet behind the ears to learn about the whole dealio. freedom isn't free, so it's imperitive to both guard and execute it wisely.

forward he cried from the rear, and the front rank died.
the generals sat, and the lines on the map moved from side to side.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
lol, peep.

it's far better to oscillate a tit a lot, than to tittilate an ocelot.

buzz, my brother was on the ground below your sorties, so i have the utmost respect for those who served. stopping the war was one incredible thing, but what many did to returning servicemen was a crime, imo. lots to think about.

that's why it's so important for those still wet behind the ears to learn about the whole dealio. freedom isn't free, so it's imperitive to both guard and execute it wisely.

forward he cried from the rear, and the front rank died.
the generals sat, and the lines on the map moved from side to side.
it was disgusting!!