ISO TNT recipe for Cuban black beans and rice

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
One of the things that I crave when I get to S. Fla is the different kinds of hispanic food. It is truly a wonderful melting pot. I had my first homemade tamale somewhere between Christmas and New Years when a sweet friend brought some over.

I love black beans and rice. Does anyone have a really good tried and true Cuban recipe?
Thanks, Pie Susan

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
cuban food is influenced by Spanish, French, African, Arabic, Chinese, and Portuguese cultures.

the most important ingredient involved in cuban cooking is the sofrito(onion, green pepper, garlic, oregano, and ground pepper quick-fried in olive oil.)The sofrito is what gives the food its flavor.

now that being said, i have a great black bean soup that is probably what you are looking for..

it ends up like red beans and rice in texture..think bean gravy..lol

3/4 lb. black beans
1 1/2 qt. cold water
2 oz. salt pork (optional)
3/4 lb. hamhock or bone of smoke ham
1 lg. onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
2 green peppers, chopped
1/2 c. bacon drippings or olive oil
1 bay leaf
1 tbsp. salt
1/8 tsp. oregano
1/4 c. vinegar
Wash beans. Soak overnight. Add salt pork, ham hock and simmer over low heat. Saute onions, garlic, green pepper in bacon drippings until tender. Add to beans. Season with bay leaves, salt and oregano. Simmer until beans are tender and thick, approximately 3 hours. Add vinegar just before serving. Serve over rice with finely chopped onion on top.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Actually, in S. Fla, the Cuban black beans and rice come separately and then, you may pour the black beans over the rice and eat them together. It is definitely not soup. My friend calls them Moros y Cristianos.

But thanks for the soup recipe, nonetheless.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
its not really a soup

the dish is prepared and comes out like the consistency of red bean & rice...then served over rice

these are not my pictures but this is basically what mine comes out like.. for different textures sometimes i take my immersion blender and blend, sometime i just let it cook down

109246.jpg

how-to-make-black-bean-soup.jpg

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
Actually, in S. Fla, the Cuban black beans and rice come separately and then, you may pour the black beans over the rice and eat them together. It is definitely not soup. My friend calls them Moros y Cristianos.

But thanks for the soup recipe, nonetheless.

when i make both these and red beans & rice, i dont cook my rice in the same pot, the beans break down and form a "gravy", so even though its called a soup, its not really..lol

moros or moors refers to the black beans
cristianos refers to white rice

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platillo_Moros_y_Cristianos