Porcupine Meatballs

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Porcupine Meatballs
This is a recipe that my mom made when I was small. Fussy kids usually are willing to eat them.

Ingredients:
1 cup instant rice
1-1/2 lb. ground beef
salt and pepper, to taste
1/2 cup chopped celery (optional)
2 Tablespoons chopped green pepper (optional)
2 Tablespoons chopped onion
2 cups tomato puree

Directions:
Add rice, salt, pepper and onion to meat. Mix well. Shape into balls, pressing them firmly into place. Place in baking dish. In frying pan, saute celery and green pepper if using. Add tomato puree. Pour over meatballs. Cover with tin foil and bake at 350 degrees. Remove cover last half hour of baking to brown the meat and cook down the sauce.

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
I will have to try that on my boys. The version of porcupine balls, I've come across before had long grain rice on the outside. These were then steamed to cook the meatballs & the rice.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
I will have to try that on my boys. The version of porcupine balls, I've come across before had long grain rice on the outside. These were then steamed to cook the meatballs & the rice.
Miniman,

The steamed meatballs don't sound very tasty, and I would think they don't have much eye appeal either. Have you made them that way before? How did you like them?

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
It was years ago now, and the recipe book went in our fire a couple of years ago. I thought they were good. I was very sceptical but decided to try them. It worked. The steam cooked the rice and the meat was cooked just right.