Chicken stock from fried chicken?

K

Kimchee

I like to buy Krogers fried or roasted chicken when it is discounted, pull the meat from the bones, harvest some other parts for my dogs, and use the meat in dishes during the week.

Today, after pulling the meat, I decided to try making stock from the fried chicken bones and some of the skin......

All I have to say is............ YUM!
Great depth of flavor, nice undertones of "fried chicken" flavor.
Should be fun to experiment with!

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Sounds wonderful. It will make fantastic gravy for chicken and taters the next time you have fried chicken.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Kimchee, you didn't EAT THE SKIN of fried or roasted chicken????

Ay yi yi!!! :pat:

Lee

K

Kimchee

Used some of it in a chicken stir fry tonight, was excellent.

Lee... once the chicken is a couple of days old, that Crunch of the skin is gone, so
I tend to strip it off and use it for dog food. Less calories that way, too.
But if it's fresh and hot, yum! (Funny how some pieces seem to lose skin that first night, too.)

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Lee... once the chicken is a couple of days old, that Crunch of the skin is gone, so
I tend to strip it off and use it for dog food. Less calories that way, too.
But if it's fresh and hot, yum! (Funny how some pieces seem to lose skin that first night, too.)

Fried chicken skin as DOG FOOD????!!

Oh man, you are killing me, Kimchee!!

(do we have an emoticon that is plunging a knife into her heart???)

Lee

Embryodad

I G.A.G on Chicken Skin that is not crunchy and crispy.
I am not a chicken eater...unless it is made dry / crisp / and just about burned.

I had taken breaded fried chicken from like KFC, and washed off the skin and breading, and made chicken soup for Mommy when she was sick with a cold.
Ha Ha Ha ...Boiled fried and steamed chicken.

Shoot the chicken / beat the chicken / kill the chicken / boil the chicken / fry the chicken / roast the chicken /.....stick the chicken.....hahaha ("on the dish!")

Let me see if I can find my what I call, "Creamatory Chicken" ....The way I like chicken... BRB

Embryodad

Here it is:

"Jimmy's Crematory Chicken"

You get done eatin this, and your mouth / tongue / and teeth are black..."Like Sucking on a lump of Coal"

95656d9d.jpg

K

Kimchee

Hey, if you like the skin after a few days, when it has lost that delicious crisp dry crunch, and is now just limp, damp, globby fatty and not crunchy..... by all means ENJOY!

But to me, it is nasty.

Embryodad

When Dad would eat chicken that was just boiled in the soup...he would take the drumstick...and as the skin would be shaking and sliding off of the flesh....he would stick the whole drumstick in his mouth, and just pull out the bone..then bite the soft joint and crunch that .

Worse yet, is DW..she will get the chickens FEET, and boil them, add a cream sauce, and just sit there and suck all that yellow scaley reptilian flesh off the bones and suck the tarsals down to the tips of the claws.

S T R A N G E ! ! ! ! ......... No Kisses after that.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Hey, if you like the skin after a few days, when it has lost that delicious crisp dry crunch, and is now just limp, damp, globby fatty and not crunchy..... by all means ENJOY!

But to me, it is nasty.

I can understand recycling chicken skin and bones, Kimchee.
When I buy a rotisserie chicken for example, the first thing I do is go for the best skin on the bird, like the top breast meat skin, then the wings.. those are my favourite bits.:wink:
All the rest can be used for other things, like as you mentioned, a broth (I've done this myself for cooking noodles or making a gravy for mashed potatoes).
Other than that it's used for slicing the breast meat to have with dinner, or making chicken salad.
Gretchen- the wonder weenie.. gets a LOT of what's leftover from a rotisserie bird, and by golly she knows it!:yum:
She likes the tail/butt part and whatever I can stand there and pick off for her while she's begging underfoot in the kitchen.
I have never tried saving the skins and bones from fried chicken for anything.
You're very innovative!

Last edited:

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
When Dad would eat chicken that was just boiled in the soup...he would take the drumstick...and as the skin would be shaking and sliding off of the flesh....he would stick the whole drumstick in his mouth, and just pull out the bone..then bite the soft joint and crunch that .

Worse yet, is DW..she will get the chickens FEET, and boil them, add a cream sauce, and just sit there and suck all that yellow scaley reptilian flesh off the bones and suck the tarsals down to the tips of the claws.

S T R A N G E ! ! ! ! ......... No Kisses after that.

LOL!!!!

My Granddad on my Dad's side was a Welshman.
Strictly meat and potatoes at almost every meal.
Chicken a lot, let me tell you.
His preferred Sunday dinner was a boiled chicken.
Place chicken in pot.
Boil.
Remove.
Eat.
The end.:yum:

Embryodad

LOL!!!!

My Granddad on my Dad's side was a Welshman.
Strictly meat and potatoes at almost every meal.
Chicken a lot, let me tell you.
His preferred Sunday dinner was a boiled chicken.
Place chicken in pot.
Boil.
Remove.
Eat.
The end.:yum:

O My Goodness...That is so funny!..
I had a quite elderly friend that lived next door to me when we lived in another town. He was a widower, and he said,"I'm Learnin to cook, and I don't need no woman, and boy Oh Boy...I really know how to cook a turkey.
"Ya See, I put the whole thing in a big pot of boiling water, and I boil it for 1 hour!" "Then I take it out, and stick it in the oven at 500º for a hour!"
"Boy that bird comes out so nice an juicy, and tender as ole heck!"
Well...He brought a plate over for DW and me to try.
The meat was fleshy and pink. The bones and the joints were purple with some blood inside the marrow. It stunk like wet feathers on a bunch of pullet, and it was raw.

It was juicy all right. My wife told him that for a 16 lb. bird, that it would need to bake at least 3 more hours at 350º.
He said ,"No I choke when the breast is too dry!"
I choked just looking at the bloody mess!!!

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Jimmy, I have an Aunt who is a Christian Scientist (not that it has anything to do with chicken per se) but.. well, you'd have to know her.
Ok, it does have to do with chicken.
Despite her rotund form and age, she's always been amazingly healthy!
Her favourite chicken in the whole world is KFC extra crispy.
She would often voice her displeasure over how once eating the crispy skin off, that the rest wasn't just like it, and would say.. 'this is why I am so fat you see' LOL :biggrin:

I cannot stand pink -next to the bone- chicken or turkey.
Our local firemen/EMTs have fundraisers a lot during the summer months offering bbq chicken dinners.
Can't tell you how many times I stopped and purchased them, only to bring them home and find pink ick! in that chicken.

Embryodad

Jimmy, I have an Aunt who is a Christian Scientist (not that it has anything to do with chicken per se) but.. well, you'd have to know her.
She would often voice her displeasure over how once eating the crispy skin off, that the rest wasn't just like it, and would say.. 'this is why I am so fat you see' LOL :biggrin:

Our local firemen/EMTs have fundraisers a lot during the summer months offering bbq chicken dinners.
Can't tell you how many times I stopped and purchased them, only to bring them home and find pink ick! in that chicken.
OMG that is funny. She must be a character!!

When Tina buys at KFC...she eats it the extra crispy like it is in the bucket.
If she buys me the what they call Popcorn Pieces...they are somewhat crispy. but she puts them on a rack in the toaster oven for me, and you should see all the fat that drips off. After a 1/2 hour at 350º...then I will eat them. Sometimes they are so hard that I have to be careful I don't break a tooth, but that ia the way I will only eat chicken.
Member that Christmas Story with Chevy Chase where the sister cooked the turkey, and when they went to poke it, it poofed. Then they were crunching and munching on the darn thing...and the sound of crackle and crunch as Chevy Chase nibbled on the hard crust?? Well that's the way Jimmy Likes His Chicken. Hard, like eating pretzels.

Carolina Cooking

I think I just lost my appetite :puke1:

ya me too. I heard she eats pigs feet too. :yum:
Hey what ever blows up
your skirt.

I have been to a lobster dinner & hostess sucked the heads of the lobster.:eek:

I can eat steamed oysters not raw. No way can I eat a mussel . not fond of clams either they are like chewing erasers.
I do love calimari, If I had known what it was (bait) it wouldn't have crossed my lips.
Then moving on to Suishi. It took some time before I could eat it, liked it, then got deathly sick. NO MORE Raw fish fo rme.

No raw chicken for me either. I love KFC . Haven't had any in years tho. Hardies makes good fried chicken too. AS does Churchs , love their Fried okra too.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter

I'm with you and Jimmy!! I like a dry chicken no blood/pink. For some reason when chicken/turkey is juicy and rubbery it makes me think it's raw. I soak my chicken when possible in salt water to draw out the blood.

Embryodad

ya me too. I heard she eats pigs feet too. :yum:
Hey what ever blows up
your skirt.

I have been to a lobster dinner & hostess sucked the heads of the lobster.:eek:

I can eat steamed oysters not raw. No way can I eat a mussel . not fond of clams either they are like chewing erasers.
I do love calimari, If I had known what it was (bait) it wouldn't have crossed my lips.
Then moving on to Suishi. It took some time before I could eat it, liked it, then got deathly sick. NO MORE Raw fish fo rme.

No raw chicken for me either. I love KFC . Haven't had any in years tho. Hardies makes good fried chicken too. AS does Churchs , love their Fried okra too.

Yes! She eats Pigs Feet too. I run away when that happens.
No Toe Jell for Mee!!! LOL..
My dad and mom would make it in big crocks..and add the feet / ears / tails / and Dads favorite....Snoots. Yuuuuck!
Brother and I would run away when that happened. L O L

I love calimari ...I do eat clams only if steamed. No slimers for this guy! Uh uh !... Muscles I do like cooked in sauce and wine.
Other than that..No Way Jose'.