Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
Lobster Tails on the Grill

4 lobster tails
2 tablespoons of lemon juice
1/2 cup butter
2 teaspoons of lemon zest

Melt the butter;
Mix together the melted butter, lemon peel and juice.

Snip through center of hard top shell with kitchen scissors.
With sharp knife cut through the meat, but not through under shell. Spread open.
Grill with the meat side up at start. Finish cooking with shell side up.
While grilling, brush frequently with butter mixture.
Lobster is done when firm and opaque.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
sound really tasty...

and a good tip for grilling lobster on the grill is to soak a couple of wood skewers, and just before you grill the tails, pierce with a skewer lenghwise, that way the lobster tail wont curl

FryBoy

Lucky, you don't say whether the tails are already cooked or raw. I've done only cooked tails on the grill, just finishing them.

chowhound

sound really tasty...

and a good tip for grilling lobster on the grill is to soak a couple of wood skewers, and just before you grill the tails, pierce with a skewer lenghwise, that way the lobster tail wont curl

I've seen that done with metal skewers and whole tails, but I do not think you will have the curling problem following Trim's method of cutting them in half and cooking opened up. As a matter of fact, I've used this method under the broiler lots of times.

dansdiamond

Food Sound Eng.
Gold Site Supporter
With all these great tips- I have to try. We all love Lobster here, never dared do it on the grill. Thanks

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
Lucky, you don't say whether the tails are already cooked or raw. I've done only cooked tails on the grill, just finishing them.

FB;
I'm talking raw tails.......... aren't you grossly over-cooking when you "grill" lobster that's already cooked ? :shock:

buckytom

Grill Master
cbs's saturday morning show just had a chef describing a par-boiled grilling technique.

the lobsters (i guess you could do it with whole monsters or just tails) were boiled for just a few minutes, killing them off. but before they were cooked through, they were split, buttered, and grilled over a very hot grill for just a minute or two more, open side down for smoke and marks, then up just to receive the remaining herbed butter.

the trick, of course, is not overcooking them. i think i'm gonna try it this week.

the saturday morning show also did a lobster, clams, mussels, mini spuds, and chorizo in garlic clam broth, of which i got to taste a bowl or two. delicioso!!!!

chowhound

Isn't a restaurant technique boiling them, then taking the meat out of the shell, laying the meat on the open shell and broiling for just a bit to give it a nice tinged color? At least some of the restaurants around here did it that way. Same difference (IMO) laying on the grill to finish off. I'd rather take them start to finish on the grill though. The only disadvantage I see is not being able to baste the meat as it's cooking like you can under a broiler.

FryBoy

FB;
I'm talking raw tails.......... aren't you grossly over-cooking when you "grill" lobster that's already cooked ? :shock:
No. The cooked tails are cold and don't overcook, but they take on a grilled appearance and flavor. I think boiling first might give you more even cooking. As Chowhound suggests, that's the way restaurants do it around here, and it's the way we did it back when we caught our own.