What's Cooking Sunday 4/30 thru Saturday 5/6 2017

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
Need to open up some room in the freezer, so tonight will be an Odd Couple...

Pork Loin Medallions and Tiger Prawns

Dogboa

We are making part of a couple dishes to have during the week to save time. Tonight will be Nicoise Salad. I froze a couple pieces of fresh tuna last time we bought some. I'll grill that for the salad.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Meatloaf, mashies, gravy,French style green beans and corn for the green bean haters.
lol
(who could hate green beans?)

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
Sunday night's Nicoise salad
vIsNsZNHZd1hEW56NSzBh983rLuE-hLc3IA7E0ZFmTQpX92IB

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Many say they taste more like lobster than shrimp. Unless we are making "BBQ" shrimp, which require head on shrimp, they are our go too.

http://eatalabamaseafood.com/fish/royal-red-shrimp/

Those shrimp are what they use in a boil, correct?
Years ago, I went to Rhode Island and had a blast at a boil with an old Navy friend whose Father served with mine.

Our dinner;
The chops were excellent and baked up very fork tender.

I like Uncle Ben's squeezy pack nuke rice packets.

The salad was delicious, but I can't wait for the farmer's markets to open to do it fresh(er).

Very easy fast dinner. It was appreciated.

Dogboa

Those shrimp are what they use in a boil, correct?
Years ago, I went to Rhode Island and had a blast at a boil with an old Navy friend whose Father served with mine.

Our dinner;
The chops were excellent and baked up very fork tender.

I like Uncle Ben's squeezy pack nuke rice packets.

The salad was delicious, but I can't wait for the farmer's markets to open to do it fresh(er).

Very easy fast dinner. It was appreciated.

I think all kinds of shrimp are used in a boil. I went to one just before our daughter's wedding. It was in Gretna, LA put on by the SIL's family. One of his uncles caught them earlier that day in one of the Bayous. I think they were white shrimp. I'm not much of a fan of boiled shrimp, as I much prefer them steamed using Old Bay. Same for blue crabs.

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
Last night we brought one of the Lasagna's we built a couple of weeks ago....

We used smaller pans this time; It was just the right size for dinner and two lunches today.... we were eating lasagna two days in a row with the bigger pans.

Tonight I'm planning Sausage Sandwiches w/ Peppers and Onions, Yellow Rice or Pan-roasted Baby Reds.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Monday night:

Rubbed with my dry rub mix.
I did 60 minutes in the smoker at 190°F with a combo of apple, hickory and mesquite wood ships.
To internal temp of 170°F.
Then basted with Sweet Baby Ray's Bold and Smokey BBQ Sauce.
Under broiler till nice bark develops.
Served with B&M baked beans with my dry rub added and a side salad greens (mixed baby spring greens and baby spinach) and tomato dressed simple with fresh lemon juice, salt, pepper and fresh grated parmesan and romano cheese.

indoor_smoker_smoked_baby_back_ribs_050217_P1100088.jpg

salad_050217_P1100087.jpg

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I forgot to add these were baby back ribs done in the indoor smoker.

Monday night:

Rubbed with my dry rub mix.
I did 60 minutes in the smoker at 190°F with a combo of apple, hickory and mesquite wood ships.
To internal temp of 170°F.
Then basted with Sweet Baby Ray's Bold and Smokey BBQ Sauce.
Under broiler till nice bark develops.
Served with B&M baked beans with my dry rub added and a side salad greens (mixed baby spring greens and baby spinach) and tomato dressed simple with fresh lemon juice, salt, pepper and fresh grated parmesan and romano cheese.

indoor_smoker_smoked_baby_back_ribs_050217_P1100088.jpg

salad_050217_P1100087.jpg

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
We had fly heads for dinner Tuesday night.

01CgYPtf6A5Okd5N3Gn_YljoM5xumh8eVouuShdKR-opX92IB

It's a Taiwanese dish. Ground pork, budded garlic chives, more garlic, mirin, white soy sauce, sesame oil, dried fermented black beans (the fly heads). I didn't much care for the dish, way too much soy for me, but Dogboa thought it was okay. It looked like an interesting flavorful dish to try, and I guess it was, just not to my taste. Regardless, we won't be making this again, but if you don't try new things, you'll never find new favorites.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Some comments on several posts above:

John, have you ever tried barley in place of potatoes in lamb stew? MUCH better, IMO.

Peep, those ribs look absolutely wonderful, and Sass, so does the Arby's!

Medtran, your Fly Heads dish sounds great to me. Was the flavor of the beans off-putting at all?

Lee

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I agree with medtran about trying new things.

Yesterday I had a guy here cleaning carpet, so I had a fa-la-la moment in the kitchen. I finally tried the Tom Yum Paste that I ordered from Amazon. That stuff is H-O-T!

I mixed it up like the directions, the paste and 4 cups water. From there I went down the road less traveled. I added some dried shiitakes, some lily buds, some fresh mr's, garlic, and ginger, and some soy sauce. I put some spinach in the bottom of the bowl, added some softened chow mein noodles, and some soup mixture.

It was still a little hot for me. The soup mixture with the Tom Yum Paste tastes a lot like hot and sour soup but a little more sour.

I may skip the noodles and add an egg next time. It was a concoction, but it was good :).

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
Some comments on several posts above:

Medtran, your Fly Heads dish sounds great to me. Was the flavor of the beans off-putting at all?

Lee

It wasn't the beans at all, it was all the soy sauce. It called for white soy sauce, AKA golden tamari, but it was 3/4 cup for 1-1/4 pound of g. pork, plus 1 cup of mirin, and then the liquid was reduced by half to glaze the meat. I thought it was an awful lot but went ahead since this was the first time making it and it was a Bon Appetit recipe. All I could taste was soy sauce. White soy is much, much lighter than regular soy sauce, it's kind of a med light golden brown and clear.

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
Wednesday night's dinner was another new recipe. Dogboa and I flipped positions on this one, but it will still be another won't make again since he didn't like it. The recipe describes it as a highly-interpretive mu-shu pork. It uses hot Italian sausage.
K8g_iHTE7J5txRyqQ38Go9WilgkJSQ80meZZMEB__OApX92IB

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
No cooking today, but I am thinking Arby's.
I've heard they are fantastic, so I'll give it a try.

I'll give my review.

and Sass, so does the Arby's!

Lee

The smoke flavour was almost overpowering to me.
The fat running through the pork belly strips wasn't the best experience, but the meatier bits were good.

The addition of mayo when it already had a thick layer of bbq sauce and melted cheese was over the top.
Out of 10, I'd give it a 5.

Will I get one again? Never. lol

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
Well, Sass;
We have come to believe that the local Arby's franchise is a front for money-laundering, as it's been there for forty years, but you rarely see anyone eating there.... the food has always been underwhelming...

Last night - Meat Balls in Gravy over Pa. Dutch Egg Noodles

Last edited:

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
Tonight, Thursday, or Thor's day for purists, we had chicken, bacon, fennel, onion ragu. At least we both liked this one. Kind of reminded me a tiny bit of chicken a la King. We've decided not to have so many new recipes in 1 week again.

LG7WLgu9BodVrgIQzZOOeukcLVtoRt1XEcS9vAApJPgpX92IB