Eggplant Involtini - Cook's Illustrated (Photos added)

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Forum members, can you see the recipe in this link?

http://www.cooksillustrated.com/recipes/7973-eggplant-involtini

Lee

Eggplant Involtini (Cook's Illustrated)

GATHER YOUR INGREDIENTS
2 large eggplants (1 1/2 pounds each), peeled
6 tablespoons vegetable oil
Kosher salt and pepper
2 garlic cloves, minced
¼ teaspoon dried oregano
Pinch red pepper flakes
1 (28-ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes, drained with juice reserved, chopped coarse
1 slice hearty white sandwich bread, torn into 1-inch pieces
8 ounces (1 cup) whole-milk ricotta cheese
1 ½ ounces grated Pecorino Romano cheese (3/4 cup)
¼ cup plus 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
1 tablespoon lemon juice

BEFORE YOU BEGIN
Select shorter, wider eggplants for this recipe. Part-skim ricotta may be used, but do not use fat-free ricotta. Serve the eggplant with crusty bread and a salad.

INSTRUCTIONS
Slice each eggplant lengthwise into 1/2-inch-thick planks (you should have 12 planks). Trim rounded surface from each end piece so it lies flat.

Adjust 1 oven rack to lower-middle position and second rack 8 inches from broiler element. Heat oven to 375 degrees. Line 2 rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper and spray generously with vegetable oil spray. Arrange eggplant slices in single layer on prepared sheets. Brush 1 side of eggplant slices with 2 1/2 tablespoons oil and sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Flip eggplant slices and brush with 2 1/2 tablespoons oil and sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Bake until tender and lightly browned, 30 to 35 minutes, switching and rotating sheets halfway through baking. Let cool for 5 minutes. Using thin spatula, flip each slice over. Heat broiler.

While eggplant cooks, heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in 12-inch broiler-safe skillet over medium-low heat until just shimmering. Add garlic, oregano, pepper flakes, and 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in tomatoes and their juice. Increase heat to high and bring to simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until thickened, about 15 minutes. Cover and set aside.

Pulse bread in food processor until finely ground, 10 to 15 pulses. Combine bread crumbs, ricotta, 1/2 cup Pecorino, 1/4 cup basil, lemon juice, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in medium bowl.

With widest ends of eggplant slices facing you, evenly distribute ricotta mixture on bottom third of each slice. Gently roll up each eggplant slice and place seam side down in tomato sauce.

Bring sauce to simmer over medium heat. Simmer for 5 minutes. Transfer skillet to oven and broil until eggplant is well browned and cheese is heated through, 5 to 10 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup Pecorino and let stand for 5 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon basil and serve.

Last edited:

chilefarmer

Re: Eggplant Involtini - Cook's Illustrated

Lee I see it. took two clicks but it came up. Looks good though. CF

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Okay, well, I hope people can see the link in the first post without having to subscribe (thanks, Chowder, for replying to my question!)

Here are my photos of the dish above. The staff at CI were going for an easier way to make Eggplant Involtini (I learned that "rollatini" is not a real word), and one that would make the flavor of the eggplant the star.

This recipe accomplished both goals! The sauce was wonderful and the flavor of the eggplant really POPPED!

Lee

Baked slices (made 2 trays like this)
Eggplant involtini 1- baked slices.JPG

Ricotta filling on slices
Eggplant involtini 2 - cheese filling on.JPG

Rolls, simmering in sauce
Eggplant involtini 3 - simmering in sauce.JPG

Broiled rolls

Eggplant involtini 4 - broiled.JPG

Topped with pecorino romano

Eggplant involtini 5 - topped with pecorino romano.JPG

Plated with bow ties

Eggplant involtini 6 - plated with bow ties.JPG

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
I believe I have died and gone to eggplant heaven.:wub: I love eggplant almost every way it can be made. I saved this one to try out real soon. Thanks, Lee.

K

Kimchee

I dislike most eggplant, but my wife likes it. Been thinking of trying that recipe just for her. Now that I know it's a winner winner eggplant dinner, I think I will.
Thanks!

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Nice job, Q-Sis! That plated photo with the cheese oozing out looks just perfect :thumb:.

I'm thinking "rollatini" is just the Americanized (read bastardized if you want :mrgreen:) name for the Italian dish. I've seen it used on Italian menus here in the US.