Molasses Ginger Cookies w/pics

Guts

[FONT=&quot]Molasses Ginger Cookies[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]12 Tbs Butter (salted)... [added no salt to recipe] 169.5 g[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 cup sugar 200 g
1/4 cup molasses 80 g
1 egg
2 tsp baking soda 12.8 g
2 cups flour 320 g
1/2 tsp ground cloves 1.8 g
1/2 tsp ground ginger 1.8 g
1 tsp ground cinnamon 3.4 g[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Yield [35] 3" inch cookies.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy; add egg to butter mixture; blend well.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
Add flour with spices, salt and baking soda, and add to first mixture; mix. Chill for at least one hour...or until batter is chilled enough for easy handling. Lay on cookie sheet. Form batter into balls about the size of walnuts (I used a food baller.) Place balls leaving 3 inches between the cookies...they will spread during baking.[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
Bake in preheated oven (350°) cookies start to darken, about 12 minutes. ±

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 182
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 180
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 181
  • ice cream cookie.jpg
    ice cream cookie.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 189

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Incredible! You are rolling hard for sure. Very talented and great work!!!! I want these!! :clap:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
What's the filling, Guts?

Those look wonderful!

Lee

Guts

What's the filling, Guts? Double vanilla ice cream

Looks great! Is that a soft or crispy cookie? Soft no dental work needed

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Those are perfectly beautiful ginger cookies, Guts. Congratulations. Very similar to what I make, but I always roll them in sugar before I bake them. But I like the way you have such nice uniform shapes, because you shave the bottom flat, huh? Nice work. BTW, they are also good with a lemon buttercream filling.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Those are perfectly beautiful ginger cookies, Guts. Congratulations. Very similar to what I make, but I always roll them in sugar before I bake them. But I like the way you have such nice uniform shapes, because you shave the bottom flat, huh? Nice work. BTW, they are also good with a lemon buttercream filling.

:ohmy:

Guts

-----------------------------------------------------------------
MexicoKaren
actually they are the same size because I use a #40 portion Disher or sometimes called Baller. this makes them the same size. First pic you can see it, I think that is what you meant by shaving the bottom flat.making some today sweet tooth kicking in big time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Wow, those look great Guts!!!! Nicely done! The pics really help a lot. :thumb: Good job. Reps to you!!!! :D

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Where is the "edit" button? I would like to edit post #12
Guts,
I noticed the typeo and fixed it for you (I think). If that is not what you wanted changed do like Keltin suggested and report the post and in the message box type what you want changed / fixed ....etc.

FryBoy

Guts, I was about to make these cookies but stopped when I became confused about your recipe, specifically the measurements you give in grams.

You indicate that 2 cups of flour is 320 grams. However, when I looked that up here and here, I found that a cup of all-purpose flour is only 125 grams. That's consistent with my measurements -- I measured our 2 cups of flour and then weighed it and came up with 260 grams, which made me think there may be a typo in the posted recipe.

Which is it -- 2 cups of flour, or 320 grams? Or am I missing something here?

Thanks.

Guts

FryBoy I make like the recipe in grams, but you could add 3 TBS more flour. or go with the 250 number. I don't think it will make much difference. go with what you got. there will be good ether way you go.

FryBoy

FryBoy I make like the recipe in grams, but you could add 3 TBS more flour. or go with the 250 number. I don't think it will make much difference. go with what you got. there will be good ether way you go.
Thanks. I'll try using the weights you list -- that's generally better in baking, anyway.

Guts

FlyBoy If you have never done it this way I think you are going to like it. less clean up Q&E

FryBoy

Do you actually weigh those tiny amounts of spices -- or do you cheat and use a measuring spoon? ;-) If you weigh them, you must have a very accurate scale.

Guts

Do you actually weigh those tiny amounts of spices -- or do you cheat and use a measuring spoon? ;-) If you weigh them, you must have a very accurate scale.
=======================================================

Yes and I do. but measuring spoons are fine. here are the scales I use, the kd8000 measures in grams close enough. I also have measuring spoons in dash/pinch and so on.

http://www.myweigh.com/scales/pocket-and-mini-scales/400z-performance-scale

http://www.myweigh.com/scales/medium-scales/kd8000

FryBoy

=======================================================

Yes and I do. but measuring spoons are fine. here are the scales I use, the kd8000 measures in grams close enough. I also have measuring spoons in dash/pinch and so on.

http://www.myweigh.com/scales/pocket-and-mini-scales/400z-performance-scale

http://www.myweigh.com/scales/medium-scales/kd8000
Those are nice. My old Slater digital scale measures in metric to 5KG or English to 11 pounds. However, the indicator doesn't display 10ths of a gram. Moreover, it has a deviation of 2 to 5 grams. It shows English measurements in 1/8th of an ounce increments but with a deviation of 1/8 to 1/4 ounce. Not as precise as your scale, but I think it's probably close enough for the kitchen 99.99999% of the time.

Guts

FryBoy So did you make some? I'm down to my last three cookies. I'm going to make some in the morning. I plan on increasing the flour to 250 grams to see what happens.

Guts

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
FlyBoy I was totally of of base thith this. I'm very sorry. I'm making some dought this morning and I have weighted one cup of flour five times and I have concluded one cup to be 160 Grams± so that 320 grams of flour is correct. Where the site came up with 125 grams for one cup of flour I have no idea. I realize that some flours differ in weight different but 160 - 125 = 35 times two cups = 70 grams now that is a big difference. just fallow my recipe be weight or measure it with cups and spoons and every thing will work.
Good luck and I post a pic later.
Kim

FryBoy

I get about 130 grams per cup of all-purpose flour (currently using Safeway's house brand).

The weight of a cup of flour depends on several things, including how you measure (sift into cup, scoop from container, or spoon it in), humidity (flour will absorb moisture in damp climates or dry out over time), etc. Different types and brands of flour will vary in weight, too. And since the amount of flour will affect the texture, appearance, and taste of the baked good, accurate measurements -- and recipes -- are important.

Anyway, now you have me totally confused about your recipe, which I have yet to make. You initial said 2 cups or 320 grams of flour. When I asked about that, I thought you said you go by the weight (320 grams), but now you seem to indicate you actually use the volume measure (2 cups).

All I want is for my cookies to come out like the ones in your photos, so please let me know exactly what it is that you do to make them.

Thanks!