I have a question about steel cut oatmeal cookies...

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
I have a recipe for steel cut oatmeal cookies from a food blog. Many of the reviews say that the oatmeal doesn't get fully cooked, and the cookies are too crunchy. I was wondering if I toasted the oats beforehand if it would help soften them up during the baking.

I'd really like to not have 2 dozen edible bricks! Any thoughts on this? TIA!

FryBoy

I recall making cookies with steel-cut oats once -- back in the loony health food craze of the 70s. Once. Never again. No how, no way. Of course, if your kids like to pay hockey....

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
Yeah, that's what I'm trying to avoid. I think the problem is that the oats don't get cooked enough in a 10 minute bake.

I'm hoping that toasting the oats beforehand will not only help them soften up, but add a nice toasty flavor too.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
No, toasting the oatmeal will make it more crunchy--not softer. It is often why oatmeal cookies are made with Quaker Oats shorter cooking time oatmeal--it is finer. I use the 5 minute variety for oatmeal cookies.

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
Thanks Susan! I was hoping to do something more with this oatmeal other than making porridge. Maybe I'll soak the oats a bit before I mix them in.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Hey if you try it I would be interested in how it turns out for you and what you did. Steel cut oats are all we have in the house these days.
Actually that is not true, I forgot the wife also bought a bag of Scottish Oats. I have no idea what the difference is, LOL.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
As Vera said, and overnight soak would be in order. This is commonly done with the coarse grains that go into whole grain bread recipes. Without the long soak, you'd probably break a tooth on some of the grains. :lol: I make my oatmeal cookies with rolled oats, and never have a problem. As a matter of fact, I have to make them for an outing this coming weekend.