Springerle cookies

GotGarlic

Does anyone here make springerle cookies for Christmas? DH's mother made them every year when he was growing up and he mentions them from time to time. I was all ready to make them this year (got the MIL's recipe, although it didn't have a lot of detail about the process), and then I found this: The Springerle Baker

I don't bake much, so I don't have a stand mixer. Is it reasonable in this day and age to spend an hour or more mixing batter for cookies with a cheap hand mixer from Target? Who thought up this stuff, anyway? I think it was the Austrian emperor's royal kitchen. Who else would have the time to make these edible works of art?

Deelady

I've never heard of them....lets us know if you make them. I'm gonna check out that link now.

But I know I wouldnt do half the baking I do if it wasnt for my stand mixer!

Deelady

wow that is quite the process! and that was an EASY recipe...sheesh! They are beautiful though! Good luck!!!

Deelady

Heres one I have always wanted to try to make but for some reason have been intimidated....they are called Speculoos and are from Belgium I believe.
I actually first tried them on a flight a few years back and fell in love. There is a company called Lotus that makes them but the are a bit pricey! At least if you order online....but a Krogers near mejust started carrying them for much less :)

400_F_7159100_e1Q0VU7dPEOECMVTJ5r94FRh9uI52xAW.jpg

GotGarlic

Nooooo, I'm not making them. I told DH if he really wants them, we need to buy a stand mixer. So far, he's not biting. But who knows what might end up under that tree? :wink: