COVID-19

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
our county went from 12 cases to 37 in one day.
whatever they think they're doing with this stay home / isolation / distancing / etc thing is not working. the malls are empty, we don't have a subway, etc etc - a bit on the rural side, actually.

with thousands of cases available, why can't the FDA get cracking on the medicine trials? I'd bet they could find 10,000 volunteers virtually overnight to test the candidate drugs. especially the malaria drug combo that has been used safely for decades - the sooner they get an effective treatment the better this will end - they could have results on 10,000 infected people in a week.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I used the formula from the CDC website to make some disinfectant with bleach...4 tsp bleach per quart of water. I made mine a little stronger. I'll use that on pkgs and use what I've got left of Odoban for inside.

My neighborhood is doing a teddy bear search to try and occupy the young kids who are out of school. I think some of the parents of the young kids are getting a little bit overwhelmed :ohmy:.

I was told by a nurse you need only 1 tsp. bleach per gallon of water.

I used a 1/4 tsp. to 1 quart water and it smells of bleach. I put it in a spray bottle and spray it on everything and wipe down.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Chowder, that's an alarming jump for one day. Like you, I hope someone starts figuring out all this shit and brings it to a halt.

Peeps, I would check out the nurse's recommendation. That doesn't seem like enough bleach per gallon to me. I think the CDC's recommendation is 1/3 c bleach per gallon. If you're unable to get bleach locally, I just ordered some bleach yesterday from Sam's online, three 121 oz jugs for about $14. If I actually get them, I will be overjoyed.

I also have some kleenex ordered from Sam's. If that actually gets here, I will do the happy dance and sing out loud.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
the old time / fashion dilution for bleach is rather weak - the CDC upped the recommended concentration _a lot_ for corona ( 1 cup per gallon )

the big box stores / hardware / paint stores all have gallons and gallons of denatured alcohol on the shelf. use 10% water to 90% denatured alcohol by volume. it actually works better with a slight water content - and it is actually more effective against the corona virus family than isopropyl people want for hand sanitizers.
it can be absorbed through the skin, and the stuff they use to denature it is mildly toxic - so best use is on surfaces.
of course, working in the shop, I rather routinely wiped down wood to see how the grain is, whether there's sanding marks I missed, and wash my hands with it to clean off various finishes.... so it quite apparently takes a lot of skin exposure to be harmful.

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
Chowder, that's an alarming jump for one day. Like you, I hope someone starts figuring out all this shit and brings it to a halt.

Peeps, I would check out the nurse's recommendation. That doesn't seem like enough bleach per gallon to me. I think the CDC's recommendation is 1/3 c bleach per gallon. If you're unable to get bleach locally, I just ordered some bleach yesterday from Sam's online, three 121 oz jugs for about $14. If I actually get them, I will be overjoyed.

I also have some kleenex ordered from Sam's. If that actually gets here, I will do the happy dance and sing out loud.

It is going to get exponentially worse before it gets better.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
While we are sitting as friends and talking, let me ask:

I feel this will change life in America. People are using meeting tools to socialize. Good meeting tools where people can talk as effectively as if they are together.

Businesses are holding conferences and meetings in a similar manner.

I am feeling that this will boost online shopping to grow faster. Any opinions.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I agree 1000% Andy. Business with meetings and work at home will expand and education using school from home tools. I think all this will expand exponentially. Most times we change slowly but this will be an accelerated change since we all had to change NOW. There will be a lot of good to come out of this, but a lot of bad with all the sickness and death. Everything always has a silver lining.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
This is kind of how we (At least me) were told things were headed long ago.

On the other hand. It will isolate people. It could magnify some of the ills of social media.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
I suspect when treatments are available for the corona virus life will very rapidly return to "as before" - and a vaccine will put it on the pages of dusty history book. we will, however, have an even more massive national debt.

the business scene - meetings/conferences/etc was hugely changed by the internet and email. I worked for several multinationals - various groups that needed 'cooperation' between counties would have meetings twice a year. the ability to instantly send emails with photo/pdf's, video conferencing, etc essentially eliminated most of the physical travel.

it's curious tho - a international I worked at starting in 1980 had an internal email system. if you had a computer hooked up to the mainframe - and not a lot of employees did .... you could send an email to a person and/or to their default printer. some people never looked at their email, so if you didn't have it printed out (which then got delivered by the mail room....remember those?) it could be days - or never -until they saw it. it was a technology way ahead of humans at the time.

same with expositions - if one wanted to see what was new in "your" industry one went to various fairs/expositions. now everything is on the web with video demos far superior to cut sheets and small models.
I used to attend the Hannover Messe - you needed four days!
https://www.hannovermesse.de/en/for-visitors/hall-plan/
some trade shows survived but have been drastically scaled down - others simply don't exist anymore.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Chowder Man - I have an older Attourney customer who still won't read mail on his screen. It has to be printed.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
the old time / fashion dilution for bleach is rather weak - the CDC upped the recommended concentration _a lot_ for corona ( 1 cup per gallon )

the big box stores / hardware / paint stores all have gallons and gallons of denatured alcohol on the shelf. use 10% water to 90% denatured alcohol by volume. it actually works better with a slight water content - and it is actually more effective against the corona virus family than isopropyl people want for hand sanitizers.
it can be absorbed through the skin, and the stuff they use to denature it is mildly toxic - so best use is on surfaces.
of course, working in the shop, I rather routinely wiped down wood to see how the grain is, whether there's sanding marks I missed, and wash my hands with it to clean off various finishes.... so it quite apparently takes a lot of skin exposure to be harmful.

Where did you get that highlighted info? I just want to make sure that the disinfectant I made actually disinfects. Thanks

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
one of the big problems with 'the internet' is simply nothing is ever 'forgotten.'
there are recommendations from last century to yesterday posted. one needs to heed the dates, especially when things change.

I saw a cdc doc, but can't find it anymore.

here's a recap:
https://www.canr.msu.edu/news/covid-19-disinfecting-with-bleach

it's 48 teaspoons per 8 fluid ounce cup - why these people don't do math and a table . . . .

Cooksie - watch their words/verbage. for some odd reason there's this _yuge_ emphasis on ____confirmed____ cases. in the next sentence(s) it's explained the shortage of test kits, must be confirmed by CDC, yadda yadda do absolutely nothing to clarify the situation.

same with the OMG we're all gonna' die "fatality" rate. that takes _two_ numbers.
the number of deaths attributed to the virus.
the number of infected people.

the number of infected people is - badda-bing-badda-boom - _unknown_ due to the lack of testing. but CNN would never let actual facts get in the way of "you're going to die next week because Trump did/did not (fill the the blank). . . ."

Last edited:

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
I am really not happy with the folks on both sides blaming eachother. Its here, let's concentrate on that.

On the other hand, I'm really impressed with the industries rolling up their sleves and making stuff we need.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Thanks Chowder, now I've got to go read my bleach bottle. I've never paid any attention to any of the expiration dates or amts of concentration. One of these days I'm going to get all sciencey like you :mrgreen:, probably be a while though.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
From one of Doc's other forums.

Default Cleaning to remove Covid 19, source: Johns Hopkins University
Cleaning to remove Covid 19,
source: Johns Hopkins University

* The virus is not a living organism, but a protein molecule (DNA) covered by a protective layer of lipid (fat), which, when absorbed by the cells of the ocular, nasal or buccal mucosa, changes their genetic code. (mutation) and convert them into aggressor and multiplier cells.

* Since the virus is not a living organism but a protein molecule, it is not killed, but decays on its own. The disintegration time depends on the temperature, humidity and type of material where it lies.

* The virus is very fragile; the only thing that protects it is a thin outer layer of fat. That is why any soap or detergent is the best remedy, because the foam CUTS the FAT (that is why you have to rub so much: for 20 seconds or more, to make a lot of foam).

By dissolving the fat layer, the protein molecule disperses and breaks down on its own.

* HEAT melts fat; this is why it is so good to use water above 77 degrees Fahrenheit for washing hands, clothes and everything. In addition, hot water makes more foam and that makes it even more useful.

* Alcohol or any mixture with alcohol over 65% DISSOLVES ANY FAT, especially the external lipid layer of the virus.

* Any mix with 1 part bleach and 5 parts water directly dissolves the protein, breaks it down from the inside.

* Oxygenated water helps long after soap, alcohol and chlorine, because peroxide dissolves the virus protein, but you have to use it pure and it hurts your skin.

* NO BACTERICIDE OR ANTIBIOTIC SERVES. The virus is not a living organism like bacteria; antibodies cannot kill what is not alive.

* NEVER shake used or unused clothing, sheets or cloth. While it is glued to a porous surface, it is very inert and disintegrates only
-between 3 hours (fabric and porous),
-4 hours (copper and wood)
-24 hours (cardboard),
- 42 hours (metal) and
-72 hours (plastic).

But if you shake it or use a feather duster, the virus molecules float in the air for up to 3 hours, and can lodge in your nose.

* The virus molecules remain very stable in external cold, or artificial as air conditioners in houses and cars.

They also need moisture to stay stable, and especially darkness. Therefore, dehumidified, dry, warm and bright environments will degrade it faster.

* UV LIGHT on any object that may contain it breaks down the virus protein. For example, to disinfect and reuse a mask is perfect. Be careful, it also breaks down collagen (which is protein) in the skin.

* The virus CANNOT go through healthy skin.

* Vinegar is NOT useful because it does not break down the protective layer of fat.

* NO SPIRITS, NOR VODKA, serve. The strongest vodka is 40% alcohol, and you need 65%.

* LISTERINE IF IT SERVES! It is 65% alcohol.

* The more confined the space, the more concentration of the virus there can be. The more open or naturally ventilated, the less.

* You have to wash your hands before and after touching mucosa, food, locks, knobs, switches, remote control, cell phone, watches, computers, desks, TV, etc. And when using the bathroom.

* You have to Moisturize dry hands from so much washing them, because the molecules can hide in the micro cracks. The thicker the moisturizer, the better.

* Also keep your NAILS SHORT so that the virus does not hide there.

-JOHNS HOPKINS HOSPITAL

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
Well, C-man..... I watch CNN all the time.... And they are constantly sayin' "We won't know until we've tested more..."
:biggrin::biggrin:"Still, a man hears what he wants to hear, and disregards the rest..." Simon & Garfunkel

BTW - We are NOT apolitical Forum.......

Last edited:

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
So far, we've no confirmed cases in Henry county, Ohio.
Stay safe everyone and don't panic.
;)

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I just heard a report on the radio via the Ohio News Network that the number of Americans cooking and baking has doubled in recent weeks.
Goes without saying..
No surprise there.
:smile:

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Some info is old, some is new.
Stats change daily, the media would like us to believe what they WANT us to believe.
Trust your state and local authorities above all else.
No panic here.
The virus will do what viruses do.
Run it's course and be a part of the history books.
Be well all.

FB_IMG_1585650019553.jpg

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Sass, I think the reason people are more concerned about this new virus than the flu is because our doctors know how to treat the flu but aren't sure how to treat corona.

From what I heard yesterday, there is some kind of combo of med's that the drs in France have used with success. The dr said that those med's haven't been approved for use in the US, but there are some clinical trials planned.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Damn, coronavirus aside, those death statistics in the first 3 months of this year are staggering, Sass!

Lee

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Yes, cooksie.. the cocktail of anti-malaria, ebola and HIV drugs.
Early on and even now Vitamin C in mega doses intravenously is also being used.
Yesterday our governor announced a new test with faster turnaround that was developed at OSU Wexner medical center.
:respect:

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
....not to belabor the point, but the "We're all going to die" hype is now shared by the Administration...

If this is even 50% accurate, PLEASE follow the guidelines and STAY AT HOME ! NCT would hate to lose any of us, let alone HALF of us !!

Trump projects up to 240,000 coronavirus deaths in U.S., even with mitigation efforts

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I agree, LT. People are not following the rules around here. I went out for grocery pickup this morning. I passed by Sam's and people were in a very long line to get in. The people closest to the entrance were all crowded up, like they just had to be the first ones in :sad:. The more sane people were strung out, some 6' away from others but not all. There was even a policeman there. This is crazy.

Harris county has surpassed Dallas county in confirmed cases in Texas. I have lots of family down there.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I dread the thought of going out but heading out in a few to pick up a click it order I did at walmart. First time ever doing one of these but I prefer not going in the store if possible. We'll see if this works.

The stores click it pick up times are full up. You have to get on first thing in the morning and pick a time which is always for the next day. They only schedule one day out so you have to wait until the morning and hope you can get an opening the next day. Times they are a changing. Be safe out there.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
in an effort to make you smile in these troubled times i give you the following ....

Attachments

• toons127.jpg
    toons127.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 212