Norco Stove Top Smoker - Brisket

joec

Gold Site Supporter
As promise here is my first real attempt with the Norco Stove top smoker. I found for some reason it works for about 10 minutes on both of my induction then gives me an error.. So I did it in the oven which also works fine. I set the oven for 205 deg and went with it for 30 min. then removed it and transferred it to an Al-Clad saute pan with some onion quartered with a meat thermometer pulling it at 140 deg. I let it sit covered with tin foil for about 1 hour before cutting it.

Now I took the onion in the saute pan added some butter and a can of mushrooms with thyme, tarragon, shallots and red wine, sauteed it for about 5 minutes. I then put it into a blender adding it to my pan drippings, a brown gravy mix from Thrive, some beef demi glaze and brought to a boil. I then strained it and will serve it over mashed potatoes with a side of Brussels sprouts for dinner in about 30 minuets.

Pictures of the meat only at this time. Flavor of meat was tasty with the hickory/apple blend of chips as well as 24 hours of marinade and 12 hours of rub before cooking. Recipes below and I like my brisket medium:

Beef Marinate

4 large garlic cloves, minced
4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 1/2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
1 teaspoon dried basil, crumbled
1 teaspoon dried thyme, crumbled
1/2 teaspoon dried hot red pepper flakes
2/3 cup olive oil

Rub for Any Meet

Ingredients:
4 Teaspoons Hungarian Paprika (prefer hot or Spanish paprika)
1 Teaspoon Salt
2 Teaspoons Onion Powder
1 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
2 Teaspoons Black Pepper
1 Teaspoon White Pepper
1 Teaspoon Mustard Powder
1 1/2 Teaspoons Granulated Brown Sugar

Brisket_1.JPG

Brisket_2.JPG

Brisket_3.JPG

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Wow, Joe! I've never seen brisket cooked other than VERY well-done!

Was it tender?

You may be a trend-setter here!

Lee

Shermie

Site Supporter
As promise here is my first real attempt with the Norco Stove top smoker. I found for some reason it works for about 10 minutes on both of my induction then gives me an error.. So I did it in the oven which also works fine. I set the oven for 205 deg and went with it for 30 min. then removed it and transferred it to an Al-Clad saute pan with some onion quartered with a meat thermometer pulling it at 140 deg. I let it sit covered with tin foil for about 1 hour before cutting it.

Now I took the onion in the saute pan added some butter and a can of mushrooms with thyme, tarragon, shallots and red wine, sauteed it for about 5 minutes. I then put it into a blender adding it to my pan drippings, a brown gravy mix from Thrive, some beef demi glaze and brought to a boil. I then strained it and will serve it over mashed potatoes with a side of Brussels sprouts for dinner in about 30 minuets.

Pictures of the meat only at this time. Flavor of meat was tasty with the hickory/apple blend of chips as well as 24 hours of marinade and 12 hours of rub before cooking. Recipes below and I like my brisket medium:

Beef Marinate

4 large garlic cloves, minced
4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 1/2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
1 teaspoon dried basil, crumbled
1 teaspoon dried thyme, crumbled
1/2 teaspoon dried hot red pepper flakes
2/3 cup olive oil

Rub for Any Meet

Ingredients:
4 Teaspoons Hungarian Paprika (prefer hot or Spanish paprika)
1 Teaspoon Salt
2 Teaspoons Onion Powder
1 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
2 Teaspoons Black Pepper
1 Teaspoon White Pepper
1 Teaspoon Mustard Powder
1 1/2 Teaspoons Granulated Brown Sugar

View attachment 19023

View attachment 19024

View attachment 19025

Were you able to get the smokey flavor and taste?

The whole idea behind using the stovetop smoker is to smoke the meat as it cooks. I'm going to try it in the smoker in the next couple of weeks. :weber:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Wow, Joe! I've never seen brisket cooked other than VERY well-done!

Was it tender?

You may be a trend-setter here!

Lee

I finished in the oven at 205 deg so it was really tender, however not as tender as it is when I bake it. I really attribute this to the fact it was just the point piece which tends to be a bit less tender than the rest of it. I could be completely wrong on that but I usually like it about 160 deg internal when I make one in the oven and they are fork tender. I also might not have carved it against the grain and been off a bit. The piece I have left over, I will slice down to day on my meat slicer real thin for sandwiches.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Were you able to get the smokey flavor and taste?

The whole idea behind using the stovetop smoker is to smoke the meat as it cooks. I'm going to try it in the smoker in the next couple of weeks. :weber:

Sure was Shermie, I could taste both the hickory and apple. The smoke on works about the first hour of cooking in a large smoker. With the small chips you will get 30 - 40 min max with 2 table spoons of the chips. It also won't come to full temperature in that time on top of the stove I've found. Smoke is a waste also after the internal temperature gets to about 210 as it just won't take any more based on what I've read on the subject. This is due to the way meat cooks as to how much it will take.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Lookin' good, Joe. Your marinade looks interesting. I'll try it for sure.

This marinade and rub work really well together Buzz. It is just 2 of about 100 various recipes I have for Rubs, Marinades and topping for meats.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
It looks like it's carved correctly to me :clap:.

I've read that the meat quits taking on smoke earlier than 210, but I don't remember the number exactly, maybe around 150.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
It looks like it's carved correctly to me :clap:.

I've read that the meat quits taking on smoke earlier than 210, but I don't remember the number exactly, maybe around 150.

It was sliced correctly Cooksie.

Just did some research and it seems to be a surface temperature 140 deg F at the point it won't accept more. But it is not the IT, the temperature would apply to the meat's surface. The 140°F temperature seems to be a unique temperature for meat. It is also the temperature that marks the high end of the danger zone, and also the temperature that the meat begins to shrink and starts to loose moisture rapidly. So the 140°F may have some basis to it.

Last edited: