Almond Nutmeg Sable Cookies

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
I made these cookies this morning to take to Art Walk, and thought some of you might be thinking about Christmas cookies, so I would share it with you. These are a French butter cookie that is crisp, but not dry, and is not too sweet. They are a "grown-up" type cookie, and they look very pretty on a cookie tray. The recipe makes alot of cookies, and you can just keep the dough in your frig, then roll them out and put them together when you have time or inclination. I think they would probably freeze well, too. We love them, and I hope you enjoy them, too!

[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]ALMOND NUTMEG SABLE COOKIES[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]Prepare your baking sheets by lining with parchment paper or lightly greasing.[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]Mix the following dry ingredients with a whisk:[/FONT]

4[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif] cups all-purpose flour[/FONT]
1[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif] cup toasted slivered almonds, chopped finely[/FONT]
1[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif] tsp baking powder[/FONT]
½ [FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]tsp grated nutmeg[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]Wet ingredients:[/FONT]
1 and 1/3[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif] cup butter[/FONT]
1[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif] cup granulated sugar[/FONT]
2[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif] eggs[/FONT]
2[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif] tsp vanilla extract[/FONT]
1[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif] tsp almond extract[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]Cream the butter and sugar, add the eggs and extracts. Mix in the dry ingredients, pat into four disks, and refrigerate for 30 minutes minimum.[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]To finish:[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]1 egg white[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]1 tsp water[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]1 cup toasted slivered almonds[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]granulated sugar [/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]Prepare an egg wash by lightly beating an egg white with a tsp of water. Roll out the dough on a floured board to ¼ inch thickness. Cut with a fluted round 2 inch cookie cutter. Brush the cookies on the cookie sheets with egg wash, sprinkle a few toasted almonds on top (press them lightly into the cookie), brush again and sprinkle with sugar.[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]Bake at 350F for about 13 minutes until lightly browned. Let sit on cookie sheet for about 2 minutes and then cool on rack.[/FONT]

Attachments

• DSCF0834.jpg
    DSCF0834.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 2,787