Molasses Ginger Cookies w/pics

Guts

Doug
I measured my AP five times today using the scoop and level method then weighted them coming up with 160± grams if you are going to use weight top measure use 320 grams of flour. I just finished a batch and it works as I have made this Many times before. If you are going to use cups use the scoop and level method, that too will work. I was using GM AP now I am using Hotel and Restaurant AP flour, they both weigh out the same.
Kim

FryBoy

Probably the difference. I have to spoon the flour or pour it into the cup because my flour canister is too narrow to accommodate the cup. Scooping tends to compact the flour a bit more. This is one reason I wish all baking recipes were written in weights, at least for the major ingredients. 320 grams is always 320 grams, but one cup of flour ain't necessarily the same as another.

Guts

Correct that is why I put my recipes in grams, now are you going to make some? My dough is chilling right now and will make some this afternoon.
Kim
BTW I came from seeing your post at LT Melindas site

FryBoy

I may give it a go this afternoon. I have work to do, so that would be a good way of avoiding it!

Melinda's site is remarkably DEAD. Don't really understand it -- her radio show on KNX is pretty popular. You get it down there?

BTW, I was born and raised in San Diego, as was my father. Sister lives in Harbison Canyon.

Guts

I may give it a go this afternoon. I have work to do, so that would be a good way of avoiding it!

Melinda's site is remarkably DEAD. Don't really understand it -- her radio show on KNX is pretty popular. You get it down there?

BTW, I was born and raised in San Diego, as was my father. Sister lives in Harbison Canyon.

"Melinda's site is remarkably DEAD" ya it comes and goes picks up on the weekend. I know some of them travel too, I have been their from almost the beginning. I been listening to her since the early 80's. so yes in can get KNX here.

I live at second street and I 8 in EL Cajon, and grew up in La Mesa.
FryBoy for some reason I was thinking FlyBoy excuse me. post # 29

I'm making something Really Good right now...

FryBoy

[FONT=&quot]Molasses Ginger Cookies[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]12 Tbs Butter (salted)... [added no salt to recipe] 169.5 g[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 cup sugar 200 g
1/4 cup molasses 80 g
1 egg
2 tsp baking soda 12.8 g
2 cups flour 320 g
1/2 tsp ground cloves 1.8 g
1/2 tsp ground ginger 1.8 g
1 tsp ground cinnamon 3.4 g[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Yield [35] 3" inch cookies.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy; add egg to butter mixture; blend well.[/FONT]

Add flour with spices, salt and baking soda, and add to first mixture; mix. Chill for at least one hour...or until batter is chilled enough for easy handling. Lay on cookie sheet. Form batter into balls about the size of walnuts (I used a food baller.) Place balls leaving 3 inches between the cookies...they will spread during baking.
Bake in preheated oven (350°) cookies start to darken, about 12 minutes. ±

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When do you add the molasses, Guts?

Guts

With the butter and sugar, cream then add egg.
===========================================
thanks i will make a change to my file copy.

FryBoy

OK, done! Came out good. I pretty much followed your recipe to a T, but I added a bit of salt as I used unsalted butter, I cut back a bit on the cloves as thought they might be a bit stronger than I like, and I baked on parchment paper as I always do. A copy of my version of the recipe in PDF format is attached (scroll to end of post, below photos).

My scoop is apparently a bit larger than yours as I ended up with 28 3½-inch cookies. The also look a bit darker than yours, perhaps because I used Grandma's Original Unsulphured Molasses, which is quite dark, or maybe I just baked them a bit more, although the were done in 10 to 11 minutes in my two ovens, which are pretty well calibrated. Not a problem as my wife likes her cookies on the brown side, and they're D E L I C I O U S ! Thanks for turning me on to these treats!

BTW, my wife had foot surgery last Friday and is stuck upstairs -- I didn't tell her I was making the cookies for her (if you believe THAT...). She called down and said, "What is that wonderful SMELL?" :clap:

Attachments

• Molasses Ginger Cookies.pdf
    84.2 KB · Views: 288
  • Molasses Ginger Cookies #1.jpg
    Molasses Ginger Cookies #1.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 106
  • Molasses Ginger Cookies #2.jpg
    Molasses Ginger Cookies #2.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 144
  • Molasses Ginger Cookies #3.jpg
    Molasses Ginger Cookies #3.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 120
  • Molasses Ginger Cookies #4.jpg
    Molasses Ginger Cookies #4.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 111

Guts

Looking Good i got the first round in the oven.. They don't last long lol. I use a # 40 disher I will post mine too. my yeald has been 35 to 37 today 36/ the size was a little smaller too cookies were 2¾± the only thing that was different, I used a new flour AP Hotel and restaurant flour instead of GM AP.
Doug I wish your wife a speedy recovery, your cookies should do the trick.

Attachments

• c2.jpg
    c2.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 115
  • c1.jpg
    c1.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 121
  • c3.jpg
    c3.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:

FryBoy

Thanks for the good wishes. She's doing much better this time than when she had the other foot done in October. Biggest problem is boredom!

Check the Gingerbread Cookies recipe on the back label of the Grandma's jar -- quite similar, but uses less butter and (surprise surprise) more molasses.

Guts

The dishers have a # on the piece that moves in the dish/cup of the disher squeeze it half way in the middle there should be a #... the handles are different colors that also tell what size they are... My oven is old and was never right, I use the infrared thermometer w/laser to shoot the stone when making pies(pizza) like tonight pie, got go it's ready to make.

infrared thermometer w/laser

http://www.toolfetch.com/thermometers-mas52224-a-sp.shtml

FryBoy

Thanks for the link. Amazon has it for $42.44, no tax, free shipping, so I ordered one. Should be useful for a variety of cooking and grilling tasks.

As for the cookies, I served them to the Crip tonight with some Bryer's French Vanilla Ice cream. She suggested that they might be good with a bit of crystalized ginger for some added texture, and I think that's a great idea. (TJ's has it for a reasonable price.)

However, after finishing her dessert, Sue proclaimed these to be the best cookies she has even eaten. I said she says that about every cookie she eats (she's as skinny as a rail but a true pig at heart). She said, no, these really ARE the best cookies she's ever had.

:pig: :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig:

p.s. -- Now that I've figured out how to make the cookies myself, I'm no longer interested in dating you. I though you should know....