Black Trumpet mushrooms

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I just finished an excellent book (if you are interested in that kind of thing) called "The Mushroom Hunters". It follows several commercial mushroom pickers, getting a glimpse of their lives and how wild mushrooms appear on your plates in the finest restaurants.

Anyway, I learned a lot about many mushrooms, but I was particularly intrigued with the chapter on Black Trumpets, which look much like the orange/yellow chanterelles .... only black!

And, lo and behold, while in a Hannaford's supermarket, I spied a one-ounce bag of dried Black Trumpets!

I re-hydrated a couple by soaking them in warm water for 30 minutes and tried them. Loved 'em (I'm a fan of wild mushrooms anyway).

The author loves them sautéed in butter and plunked on top of steak, but I didn't have any steak laying around.

So, for breakfast the next morning, I re-hydrated a handful of Black Trumpets, drained them and dried them off, sautéed them in butter with half a minced shallot and used them inside an omelet with 1/4 cup of shredded cheese.

Wonderful!

I WILL definitely try them on a steak!

Lee

Attachments

• Black trumpets, 1 bag.JPG
    Black trumpets, 1 bag.JPG
    106.4 KB · Views: 169
  • Black trumpets 2, hydrated.JPG
    Black trumpets 2, hydrated.JPG
    105.8 KB · Views: 180
  • Black trumpets 3, omelet 1.JPG
    Black trumpets 3, omelet 1.JPG
    125.2 KB · Views: 165
  • Black trumpets 4, omelet 2.JPG
    Black trumpets 4, omelet 2.JPG
    107.5 KB · Views: 173

Saliha

Wow looks great. I am passionate mushroom hunter and this time of the year is my the best hunting season.

Black trumpet mushrooms are one of my favourites.

chilefarmer

I love mushrooms, We have many that grow here. I never pick them because I don't know one from another. I have looked for someone to teach me but no luck so far. CF

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I made a diet version of this today - with Eggbeaters, WW shredded Mexican blend cheese, and just the rehydrated mushrooms (no sautéing in butter).

STILL good! I highly recommend these - excellent mushroom flavor!

Lee