Avocado Oil Benefits

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I have been looking into this and found some info. Posted below is info found on several sites (link backs posted under articles)

Avocado Oil Benefits
The wholesome oil extracted from this Mexican fruit is saturated with health benefits. Let's take a look at the benefits of avocado oil, that make this tropical fruit a treasure trove of health and wellness.

clip_image001.jpg

The oil that is extracted from the avocado fruit is edible and contains various nutrients. This makes it stand at par with olive oil with relation to its health benefits, cosmetic utility, lubricating properties, and medicinal value. Due to its high vitamin E and monounsaturated fat content, the advantages extend to culinary activities as well. Since avocado grows all-year round, many olive oil manufacturing and processing plants concentrate on avocado oil when it's not olive oil season.

Health Benefits
We can easily gauge its various health benefits by taking a look at the following table depicting nutrition facts of pureed avocado serving measuring approximately 1 cup.

Nutrient
Content Per Serving
Betaine
1.6 mg
Calcium
29.9 mg
Carbohydrates
19.9 g
Choline
32.7 mg
Copper
0.4 mg
Fats
35.4 g
Iron
1.4 mg
Magnesium
66.7 mg
Manganese
0.3 mg
Phosphorus
124 mg
Potassium
1166 mg
Proteins
4.4 g
Selenium
0.9 mcg
Vitamin A
338 IU
Vitamin B1
0.2 mg
Vitamin B2
0.3 mg
Vitamin B3
4.4 mg
Vitamin B5
3.4 mg
Vitamin B6
0.7 mg
Vitamin B9
205 mcg
Vitamin E
4.5 mg

Judging by the above information on nutrition and calories in avocado and based upon various scientific studies and research, it has been inferred that the mono unsaturated fat and Vitamin E content of avocado oil make it an excellent, heart friendly, edible oil. It helps reduce LDL levels and the potassium content is a great regulator of blood pressure. Vitamin E keeps the blood vessels healthy by eradicating free radicals from the biological system. The high protein levels combined with various amino acid content makes this oil excellent for tissue regeneration and cell renewal. It's like an edible anti-aging product that works from within!

Avocado oil is also rich in omega-3 essential fatty acids which are well-known anti-carcinogens, and research has proved their efficacy in arresting the growth of cancer cells, specifically those causing breast and colon cancer. It acts as a catalyst and enhances the body's rate of producing collagen. This results in taut, wrinkle free skin that occurs naturally and not due to using external anti-aging products!

For the Skin
As discussed under health benefits, the primary benefits of this oil for skin is its role as a catalyst, encouraging the body to produce higher levels of collagen. This results in wrinkle-free, youthfully elastic skin that comes from within. As a natural lubricant and moisturizer, when externally applied to skin, gives a soothing, moisturizing effect to dry skin. The omega 3 fatty acid content makes skin glow when avocado oil is used for massage purposes. The soothing effect comes handy when treating skin irritations like eczema and diaper rash. During harsh winters, adding a few drops of oil of avocado, whether alone or in combination with other essential oils, in bath water helps skin retain essential moisture during the cold climate. Avocado face mask recipes are extremely beneficial for treating dry, scaly skin on the face during cruel winters.

For the Hair
The Vitamin E and protein content play the chief beneficiaries as they nourish and hydrate hair to make it shinier and softer. Besides these, iron, Vitamin A, magnesium, copper, and folic acid strengthen hair roots and reduce hair fall. The soothing effect provides relief from itchiness and irritation owing to dandruff when massaged into the scalp. A warm avocado oil massage is also a great relaxer for hair and scalp. It also proves to be an excellent hair conditioner if heated and massaged into scalp and on hair at least thirty minutes before shampooing. You can whip up a variety of avocado hair masks using this oil (or avocado purée) along with honey, almond milk, lemon juice, egg yolk, mashed banana, yogurt and coconut milk to rejuvenate dry, frizzy hair!

The nutritional value of avocado makes this fruit an excellent source of nutrition for the heart, body tissues, blood vessels, hair, and skin. The above mentioned benefits hold sufficient testimony to this statement. Undoubtedly, these benefits and wholesome nutrients make avocados the best fruit available.

Inserted from <http://www.buzzle.com/articles/avocado-oil-benefits.html>

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

AVOCADO Overview Information
Avocado is a tree. The fruit, a popular food, is a good source of potassium and vitamin D. The fruit, leaves, and seeds are used to make medicine.

Avocado fruit is used to lower cholesterol levels, to increase sexual desire, and to stimulate menstrual flow. Some of the oils in avocado (chemists call these oils the “unsaponifiable fractions”) are used to treat osteoarthritis. The seeds, leaves, and bark are used for dysentery and diarrhea.

Avocado oil is applied directly to the skin to soothe and heal skin and to treat thickening (sclerosis) of the skin, gum infections (pyorrhea), and arthritis. Avocado oil is used in combination with vitamin B12 for a skin condition called psoriasis. The fruit pulp is used topically to promote hair growth and speed wound healing. The seeds, leaves, and bark are used to relieve toothache.

How does it work?

Avocado contains a lot of fiber, and this may explain its ability to lower cholesterol. Avocado also contains chemicals that might repair cartilage in joints damaged by osteoarthritis.

AVOCADO Uses & Effectiveness What is this?

Possibly Effective for:

Treating osteoarthritis. Taking certain (unsaponifiable fractions) avocado and soybean oils by mouth seems to significantly improve pain and reduce overall disability. These oils seem to be more effective for hip than knee osteoarthritis.
Reducing total cholesterol and "bad" cholesterol (LDL cholesterol).
Increasing "good" cholesterol (HDL cholesterol).

Insufficient Evidence for:

A skin condition called psoriasis. Developing research shows that after 12 weeks of treatment, a specific cream containing avocado oil and vitamin B12 (Regividerm, Regeneratio Pharma AG, Wuppertal, Germany) reduces symptoms of psoriasis as well as a conventional medication called calcipotriol ointment (Psorcutan). The avocado combination cream also causes significantly less irritation than calcipotriol.
Healing wounds.
Sclerosis.
Promoting hair growth.
Stimulating menstrual flow.
Diarrhea.
Toothache.
Other conditions.
More evidence is needed to rate the effectiveness of avocado for these uses.
AVOCADO Side Effects & Safety

Avocado is safe for most people when the fruit is eaten in food amounts. Avocado also seems to be safe when taken by mouth as a medicine for up to six months or applied to the skin for up to three months. It generally has few side effects, although one person who used a specific avocado oil plus vitamin B12 cream for psoriasis reported mild itching.

Keep in mind that avocado has a lot of calories because of its fat content.

Special Precautions & Warnings:
Pregnancy and breast-feeding: Not enough is known about the use of avocado as medicine during pregnancy and breast-feeding. Stay on the safe side and stick to food amounts.

Latex allergy: People who are sensitive to latex can have an allergic reaction to avocado.

AVOCADO Interactions

Moderate Interaction Be cautious with this combination

Warfarin (Coumadin) interacts with AVOCADO

Warfarin (Coumadin) is used to slow blood clotting. Avocado has been reported to decrease the effectiveness of warfarin (Coumadin). Decreasing the effectiveness of warfarin (Coumadin) might increase the risk of clotting. It is unclear why this interaction might occur. Be sure to have your blood checked regularly. The dose of your warfarin (Coumadin) might need to be changed.

AVOCADO Dosing

The following doses have been studied in scientific research:

BY MOUTH:
For lowering cholesterol: The dose of avocado used varies, depending on the amount of other fats and calories in the diet.
For osteoarthritis: 300 mg daily of an specific extract made from the oils that are tightly bound to fibers in avocado and soybeans. These oils are called "unsaponifiables." The extract used for osteoarthritis is made up of one-third avocado and two-thirds soy bean unsaponifiables.

Pasted from <http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-890-AVOCADO.aspx?activeIngredientId=890&activeIngredientName=AVOCADO>

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Can be purchased from Amazon.

100% pure, expeller-pressed Avocado Oil; This listing includes three 16.9oz cans.
Handcrafted from premium fresh avocados; Distinctive, flavorful and all-natural
While delicious for cooking, avocado oil, like olive oil and hazelnut oil, contains oleic acid, a monounsaturated fat that may help to lower cholesterol. In one study of people with moderately high cholesterol levels, individuals who ate a diet high in avocados showed clear health improvements. After a few days on the diet that included avocados, they had significant decreases in total cholesterol and LDL cholesterol, along with an increase in health promoting HDL cholesterol.
Suitable for medium-high heat: Perfect for stir-frying, frying, sautéing, baking, dipping, blending into a dressing/sauce, or drizzling on a finished dish. Smoke point 520ºF.
Unopened: 24-month shelf life Opened: best used within 6 months

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter
I've found, since I've been diagnosed with high cholesterol, that grape seed oil helps me a lot! I've never seen Avacado oil where I live but using grape seed oil instead of olive or vegetable oil has lowered my cholesterol 80 points! :)

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
i have a bottle. ought begin using it, if it'll make me healthier. it's got omegas in there, too, methinx. too tired to look- meh.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I've found, since I've been diagnosed with high cholesterol, that grape seed oil helps me a lot! I've never seen Avacado oil where I live but using grape seed oil instead of olive or vegetable oil has lowered my cholesterol 80 points! :)

I also use grape seed oil for frying and flax seed oil for cold salads.