Gigot de Sept Heures (Seven Hour Lamb)

FryBoy

Anthony Bourdain includes a recipe in his great Les Hales Cookbook for Gigot de Sept Heures -- a leg of lamb that's baked in a sealed Dutch oven for seven hours. It's described as so tender that you can eat it with a spoon, which leads to another French name for the dish, Gigot à la Cuiller (spoon).

I was telling someone about it and was too lazy to copy the recipe from the book, so I Googled it and found a wonderful blog, Je Mange la Ville (I Eat the City, apparently meaning Portland, Oregon). It describes making Gigot de Sept Heures, and includes Bourdain's recipe and some great photos. I was so impressed with it, I though I should share it with you guys. Here's the link to the recipe and photos: CLICK ME

lilylove

Lamb is so dang good!! I'm going to book mark this for sure! I do just happen to have a two legs of lamb in the freezer!!!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
That looks wonderful, Doug!

I have grown to like my lamb more rare, but I love the idea of "Just grout it and forget it!" (my words). As long as it's moist, I will love it, and how could it not be?

I had the "Les Halles" cookbook, but gave it to a good friend, who is also a foodie. We may make this together.

Lee

FryBoy

I like lamb on the rare side, too, but it really does transform into something else that's equally wonderful when it's cooked like this.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Ooooh, thanks FryBoy. I've been wanting to try making lamb for quite a while now and this looks like it would be perfect.