Random Picture Thread - Part Deux

Cooksie

Site Supporter
An elderly couple is feeding some Manateese arrived in their backyard with sweet potatoes
I've never seen one out of the water like that. We rented a large house boat in the Florida Keys quite a while back. I remember the guy telling us that we had to go extra, extra slow until we got out of the canal and into the open water because the manatees in the canals were very slow. If you accidentally ran over one, the prop on the boat could cut their backs. I remember the manatees being huge dark shadows in the water.

They're sure ugly but still interesting looking.

LastManStanding

PicsArt_03-25-01.46.55.jpg

LastManStanding

I never knew they were so large. I saw these at Whole Foods today.

View attachment 48967
There are larger ones too!
But the trickiest part is the cutting and cleaning. There's a lot of sticky gum in and under the skin. It sticks to the knife at the slightest cut, and you will struggle to proceed with cutting. So the important thing to remember is to dip the knife in water before cutting. You must either split it to smaller pieces and pull out the fruit, or remove the skin first, remove the gum, and then take the individual"petals."
The seed is tasty when oven fried or fried on charcoal, or we add them in the curry too
Ripe jak is my favourite, and I'm sure it's one of the tastiest fruits ever. Jak fruit is either slightly firm and fleshy when ripe, known as "waraka" in my language, or much softer " waela" the two conditions on which we basically categorize jakfruit.
And the other thing is, its wood is one of the most expensive. The wood is yellow in colour and has a really rich look, and is tough and long lasting.

Johnny West

There are larger ones too!
But the trickiest part is the cutting and cleaning. There's a lot of sticky gum in and under the skin. It sticks to the knife at the slightest cut, and you will struggle to proceed with cutting. So the important thing to remember is to dip the knife in water before cutting. You must either split it to smaller pieces and pull out the fruit, or remove the skin first, remove the gum, and then take the individual"petals."
The seed is tasty when oven fried or fried on charcoal, or we add them in the curry too
Ripe jak is my favourite, and I'm sure it's one of the tastiest fruits ever. Jak fruit is either slightly firm and fleshy when ripe, known as "waraka" in my language, or much softer " waela" the two conditions on which we basically categorize jakfruit.
And the other thing is, its wood is one of the most expensive. The wood is yellow in colour and has a really rich look, and is tough and long lasting.
Thanks for sharing that. My wife buys canned jackfruit for vegetarian tacos.