What are you reading?

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Finished The Associate - really good! Now I'm on Grisham's 2nd Jake Brigance (A Time to Kill) novel.

The Innocent Man - Grisham's first book based on a true story that he told through his Brigance character. It's the story of Ron Williamson who was falsely accused/convicted and put on death row in Oklahoma for almost 10 years. Willamson gets within a few days of lethal injection before he gets a stay of execution and is finally proven innocent. This one will make you doubt the good-old-boys justice system, which is common in the South, big time.

Sycamore Row was really good too.

The Hangman's daughter. Set in the 1650's Bavaria. by Oliver Potzsch ***** stars.

I'm going to have to try that one.

Come Sundown by Nora Roberts was really good...shades of Patterson's Kiss the Girls.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Where the Crawfish Sing....so very good, not finished yet but have a hard time putting it down, best for 2019 so far

Best book I read in 2018 - The Forgotten Girls by Alexa Steele, free on kindle

From Amazon: "In an elite suburb of New York City, girls are dying. That doesn’t happen in Greenvale, with its immaculate lawns, exclusive yacht clubs and multi-million dollar mansions. But behind its perfect façade, its trimmed hedges and luxury cars, a darkness lies. Girls, dependent on Adderall, outmaneuver each other to get into top colleges, while the mothers’ need to live vicariously only makes it worse."

I have to wonder if the author knew something about what was happening, and has hit the news now, with the celebrity parents (actress from Fuller House, for one) paying big bucks to get their kids into select schools and even paying to have their kids' test scores changed. Paying to have test scores changed is unbelievable :( :( :(.

I usually read the free kindle stuff but ended up buying the sequel to that book. The main character is a female special unit detective and is both tough as nails and still feminine. You have to love her male sidekick too.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I have heard of your book, Cooksie, "Where the Crawdads Sing", since it has received such good reviews. Your added endorsement of it makes me want to read it even more.

I'm reading "In the Woods" by Tana French. It's had mixed reviews by the readers on Goodreads website. I'm only about a quarter of the way in - I like the way she writes.

Lee

Cooksie

Site Supporter
You're right, Q-Sis. It is Crawdads instead of Crawfish.

I finished it this morning and just loved every minute of it. I hope you'll give it a try. It's pure genius how she weaves details of the insect and bird mating habits into the plot of the story.

One small thing I don't like about reading on kindle is that you only see the title/author once when you choose and load it to the kindle. With a book, you see both title/author every time you pick it up, so I tend to forget those details with kindle. If there is a way to get the title/author to show up on each page, I haven't figured it out.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
If you're bored and looking for a good read, I recommend Lots of Little Fires by Celeste Ng. It's a multi-family drama. I'd give it about about at 4+. After I read that, I read her first book All the Little Things I Never Told you but didn't like it as well.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Lots of reading going on in my house

This morning I finished The Secrets of the Little Stones by Melissa Payne. It's a mystery. I don't usually like clairvoyant/ghosty/spooky books, but this one really held my attention.

As usual, the author brings it all together at the end. She left me with one little niggling question, but I don't want to spoil the book for anyone else.

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
Lots of reading going on in my house

This morning I finished The Secrets of the Little Stones by Melissa Payne. It's a mystery. I don't usually like clairvoyant/ghosty/spooky books, but this one really held my attention.

As usual, the author brings it all together at the end. She left me with one little niggling question, but I don't want to spoil the book for anyone else.

My Mom was a librarian and she taught me to love to read. Since I retired I’m back to reading every day and lately almost all day :)

Just finished re-reading Tony and Anne Hillermans Navaho police series with Joe Leaphorn, all 23 of them. Recently Rex Stout and Isaac Asimov. Working on a thriller by David Archer today.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Summer of '69 - Elin Hilderbrand
Really good - high ratings on Amazon

I've got a Lindsay Boxer book going but don't even know the title of this one. I used to read those all the time but became tired of them.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Let's see ... I recently finished "Bertie", the biography of King Edward VII. I wanted to know more about him after watching the PBS series "Victoria", where Bertie was depicted as a problem child. A long, detailed, but largely readable book that satisfied my curiosity.

I ordered John Connolly's first two books of his Charlie Parker series and just finished the first one, "Every Dead Thing". He's a great writer, but this one had too many characters and multiple plots - hard to keep track. If the second one is the same, I won't be ordering any more of those.

Right now, I'm reading a page-turner that was raved about by my next door neighbor, ironically called "The Couple Next Door". Excellent! Like peeling the layers of an onion as secrets are revealed, and I hear that the ending is terrific.

Lee

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Just placed a hold on The Couple Next Door and am #2 on 5 copies

Looks like something I will really like

Thanks, Q-Sis :mrgreen:

You are more of an intellectual reader than me, so that King Edward book doesn't sound like something I would like.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
You are more of an intellectual reader than me....

Cooksie, I'm really not.

I typically read about murders, mayhem, suspense and horror, with an occasional scandalous biography (love gossip!) or a disaster ("Dark Tide - Boston's Molasses Flood" was a pip!)

I just received my next biography about Dorothy Parker ("What Fresh Hell is This?") - the brilliant and witty writer and member of the Algonquin Round Table in NYC. My grandmother was a great admirer of Dorothy, and I'm fascinated with her as well.

On your recommendation, I listened to the audiobook "Where the Crawdads Sing" in my car. It was a departure for me, but I really liked it!

Let me know how you liked "The Summer of '69". I love good books that are set in Massachusetts.

Lee

Last edited:

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
I love good books that are set in Massachusetts

Robert Parker’s Spencer and Jesse Stone series are some of my favorites.

I’ve read several books a week long as I remember. Library checkout and I haunt Amazon for free or 99 cent bargain kindles

I just subscribed to Kindle Prime. $9.99 a month for access to thousands of books and you can read all you want.

Jim

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Cooksie, I'm really not.

I typically read about murders, mayhem, suspense and horror, with an occasional scandalous biography (love gossip!) or a disaster ("Dark Tide - Boston's Molasses Flood" was a pip!)

I just received my next biography about Dorothy Parker ("What Fresh Hell is This?") - the brilliant and witty writer and member of the Algonquin Round Table in NYC. My grandmother was a great admirer of Dorothy, and I'm fascinated with her as well.

On your recommendation, I listened to the audiobook "Where the Crawdads Sing" in my car. It was a departure for me, but I really liked it!

Let me know how you liked "The Summer of '69". I love good books that are set in Massachusetts.

Lee

I've already finished it, and loved it. It was mostly set in Nantucket. After that I read The Identicals, which is set in both Nantucket and Martha's Vineyard. I liked Identicals but not as much as Summer of '69.

I don't really think either of those is your kind of book, may be wrong though :).

I’ve read several books a week long as I remember. Library checkout and I haunt Amazon for free or 99 cent bargain kindles

I just subscribed to Kindle Prime. $9.99 a month for access to thousands of books and you can read all you want.

Jim

When I bought my Kindle, it came with a trial period of Kindle prime. I read some really good books but didn't think it was worth $10 per month to keep it up.

I can usually find enough to read at my Northeast Tx combo of libraries.

Do you, by any chance, know how to join other libraries that aren't in your city/county? I have thought about asking my sister for her library number in Harris County and signing up through there too. She doesn't even use it. I've tried to tell her how to do it all, but she just mutes me :blush: .

If that's illegal or cheating or something, I don't want to know how.

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
Does anyone read Edward Hoch?

Great whodunits like Dr Sam Hawthorne a 1920’s country Doctor who solves mysteries by his powers of deduction and Nick Velvet a thief who only steals things with no value.

A lot of his work appeared in Ellery Queen’s Mystery Magazine.

Last edited:

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Just placed a hold on The Couple Next Door and am #2 on 5 copies

Looks like something I will really like

Thanks, Q-Sis :mrgreen:

You are more of an intellectual reader than me, so that King Edward book doesn't sound like something I would like.

This hold came through quickly, and I am loving this book. The burner phone has just entered the picture :brows:.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Loved The Couple Next Door...all the twists and turns

I just subscribed to Kindle Prime. $9.99 a month[/COLOR] for access to thousands of books and you can read all you want.

I've re-thought this. I am going to sign up for kindle prime. I thought about cancelling my Hallmark Movies Now, but said WTH, I'll just do both.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I was told I must read John Green's "Looking For Alaska".
I'm going to put an Amazon order in.
It even sounds like something I like!

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I was told I must read John Green's "Looking For Alaska".
I'm going to put an Amazon order in.
It even sounds like something I like!

I've read that and loved it too. Don't put it down until everyone enters the scene. You'll see what I mean once you get into the book.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Long Range by C.J. Box
It's a Joe Pickett novel set in Wyoming.

The book starts out like this:

Copied directly from an excerpt on Amazon:

"The sleek golden projectile exploded into the thin mountain air at eight thousand feet per second. It was long and heavy with a precise pointed tip and a boat-tail design tapering from the back shank, and it twisted at over three hundred and fifty thousand rotations per minute.

Designed by ballistic engineers and weighing one hundred and eighty grains, or slightly less than half an ounce, the bullet was entirely jacketed by a smooth gilding of ninety-five percent copper and five percent zinc, with a wall-thickness variation of near zero. The pointed red ballistic tip of the nose also served as a heat shield. The projectile was engineered to withstand the extreme aerodynamic heating effects produced by the speed of its trajectory.

Inside the jacketed round was a soft lead core. Upon impact and deep penetration, the ballistic tip would drive backward into the lead core and expand the projectile into a mushroom shape in order to create a large wound cavity."

My eyes glazed over, and I was thinking...Oops, this is not a book for me. I kept reading and am glad I did. Once the plot starts taking off, I was drawn in and am enjoying it now.

I still think it was written for a primarily male audience, especially a male audience interested in firearms and tracking predatory animals, not all of which are four legged.

Both male and female will probably like the mystery/murder stuff.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Girl in Trouble - Stacy Claflin
Mystery/Thriller about a kidnapping
Really good

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
John Grisham's "King of Torts". It's excellent, as are all of his books, IMO. I had to look up "tort".

tort

a wrongful act or an infringement of a right (other than under contract) leading to civil legal liability.
"public nuisance is a crime as well as a tort"

People also ask
What is an example of a tort?

Tort. ... For example, a car accident where one driver hurts another driver because he or she was not paying attention might be a tort. If a person is hurt by someone else, he or she can sue in court. Many torts are accidents, like car accidents or slippery floors that make people fall down and get hurt.

Negligence is a common tort.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Re-reading Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles. Haven't read her in years.

I haven't read any of those. One of my best friends was really into them. She planned a trip to New Orleans for us and our husbands. We did all the vampire/ghost tours. When it came to the cemetery part, I was a little skeptical. There were signs warning about muggings and purse snatchers. We did it anyway and survived.

Those were wildly popular books. Maybe I'll have to try them.

John Grisham's "King of Torts".

Read that, good one

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I read King of Torts too, and liked it. I enjoy all of John Grisham:s books.

Currently reading: The Innocent , A Will Robie Novel, David Baldacci

Much like Grisham, I enjoy all books by Baldacci

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
Re-reading Tom Clancey’s “Cardinal Of The Kremlin”

Just finished “And Grant You Peace” by Kate Flora.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Just finished Lisa Gardner/Look for Me

It's about troubled families and the "sometimes" horrors of foster care. I know all foster care parents aren't bad people. Parts of it are pretty hard to stomach. It's a mystery/detective/vigilante book.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I read King of Torts too, and liked it. I enjoy all of John Grisham:s books.

Currently reading: The Innocent , A Will Robie Novel, David Baldacci

Much like Grisham, I enjoy all books by Baldacci

I just put one of his books on my holds list...1 of 16 :sad:. He must be a very popular author. I'll probably really enjoy his book because I do love Grisham. Thanks