What are you reading?

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Re-reading "Seawitch" by Alistair Maclean.

I have an ipad with the Kindle app. I read very few paper books now.

Jim
I'm hooked on the electronic books too. A friend gave me a paperback and I've started it but it sits in one spot, not easy to carry with me. I use the kindle app on my phone and read everything that way. I always have my phone with me so waiting in doc office or waiting on wife or a meeting I can read. So handy. Of late I've been reading a Joel Goldman series (Lou Mason). Before that Girl on A Train, and some Michael Prescott. All cheap kindle books. 3 bucks or less.

lilylove

Our library here at the condo has almost all the James Paterson book... I'm re-reading all the Alex Cross ones. :)

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Paterson wrote some page turners for sure. Love the Alex Cross series. :thumb: :clap:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I recently finished "The Story of Edgar Sawtelle" - a beautiful story about a family with a mute boy who raise and train dogs.

Very well-written.

Lee

lilylove

I'm in the middle of reading this on Kindle. I am enjoying it but... I keep finding other things to read at the same time.... so, it may take a while to finish.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Our library here at the condo has almost all the James Paterson book... I'm re-reading all the Alex Cross ones. :)

I'm a re-reader too :). I love to see what I missed or what I "put together wrong in my mind" the first time.

I finally got a Kindle cover, and for the life of me I couldn't figure out how it put the Kindle to sleep and woke it up. I put a book on top of it to see if it was the absense of light...no. I checked it out to see if the cover somehow pressed the button at the bottom...no. Had to Google, it's a darn magnet :blush:.

I finished the Bleeker novel and started reading some free short stories. Next up is either going to be another Bleeker novel or Hidden Fires by Sandra Brown.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
John Grisham has out a new-to-me book - Rogue Lawyer

"#1 NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER • NAMED ONE OF THE BEST BOOKS OF THE YEAR BY THE WASHINGTON POST AND NPR • Featuring one of John Grisham’s most colorful, outrageous, and vividly drawn characters yet, Rogue Lawyer showcases the master of the legal thriller at his very best."

That one is going on my list to read.

I'm just about finished with an old true crime book, Shattered by Kathryn Casey. It's about the murder investigation of David Temple (Katy, Tx highschool football coach) for killing his wife, Belinda Temple (teacher).

I've also read some fluff stuff. The Return of Rafe McKade, The Pride of Jared Mckade, and The Heart of Devin McKade, all by Nora Roberts. The fourth book in that series was a bust for me, couldn't even get through half. The others were very good for mystery/romance readers.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Cooksie, back in May you posted about a book, "Foreign Faction" about the JonBenet Ramsey case.

How was the book? Did the author come to any conclusions about her killer?

Lee

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Cooksie, back in May you posted about a book, "Foreign Faction" about the JonBenet Ramsey case.

How was the book? Did the author come to any conclusions about her killer?

Lee

It's a great book. Kolar has some information in his book that I don't think the public has ever been aware of. He sets out all the information for the reader and tells you to come to your own conclusion, probably for legal reasons. It's very evident what he thinks though. If you saw the recent CBS docu-series, it was mostly based on his book and his theory.

If you do read the book, just beware that the first part is a narrative where he is showing what he thinks is the absurdity of the small foreign faction intruder theory. He's writing tongue-in-cheek.

I just started the Rogue Lawyer last night...looks like it's going to be a good one.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I wasn't crazy about Grisham's Rogue Lawyer.

I've been reading some free Kindle books. The best two so far have been Mary Campisi's A Family Affair: Truth in Lies and T. Lynn Ocean's Choosing Charleston. The grandmother in Choosing Charleston is a hoot. Both are fictional fluff books :mrgreen:, a great escape from the worries of the real world.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Harlan Coban's "Hold on Tight". Re-reading it, since I didn't realize I'd already read it when I paid 50 cents for it at the library's "bargain cart".

Lee

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I'm reading one of Nora Roberts trilogies.

I really like her books too. I'm almost finished with the 4th book in her McKade Brothers series. For some reason when I first started reading the 4th book, I didn't really like it but went back to it and got into it. Her writing style is much like Sandra Brown's, who is another of my favorite authors.

I finally got smart and figured out how to do the library loans on my kindle...another whole world of free books to read :mrgreen:.

Johnny West

After all these years I finally got around to reading Catcher in the Rye. Maybe I'm to old now but found it tedious.

I just bought The Professor and will start it tonight. The guy sitting beside me on the plane was reading it and said it as good.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
After all these years I finally got around to reading Catcher in the Rye. Maybe I'm to old now but found it tedious.

Funny you should say that, John. I LOVED it when I read it in junior high. I recently re-read it and felt like giving old Holden a smack upside the head!

I'm reading two books now: "The Outermost House" written by a man who spent a year in a tiny house in the dunes of Cape Cod, and "I Loved Her in the Movies", by Robert Wagner, the actor, about all the actresses he's known and worked with.

Lee

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Funny you should say that, John. I LOVED it when I read it in junior high. I recently re-read it and felt like giving old Holden a smack upside the head!

I'm reading two books now: "The Outermost House" written by a man who spent a year in a tiny house in the dunes of Cape Cod, and "I Loved Her in the Movies", by Robert Wagner, the actor, about all the actresses he's known and worked with.

Lee

I'll be on the lookout for that one.
My friend Jane is trying to turn me on to James Patterson.
I prefer bios or history reading.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
My friend Jane is trying to turn me on to James Patterson.

I loved most of his early books, but have kinda lost touch with him in recent years.

Sass, if you only read one Patterson book, let it be "Beach Road" - one of the best books I've ever read! Not "Beach HOUSE" (also a Patterson book) - Beach ROAD.

Lee

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I loved most of his early books, but have kinda lost touch with him in recent years.

Sass, if you only read one Patterson book, let it be "Beach Road" - one of the best books I've ever read! Not "Beach HOUSE" (also a Patterson book) - Beach ROAD.

Lee

Noted and thanks :smile:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Just finished listening to "Girl on the Train".

It held my attention throughout, which is not something I can say about a lot of audiobooks that I listen to in the car. I liked it.

Lee

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I tried Girl on the Train but just couldn't get into it.

I just finished Country by Danielle Steele and loved it.

I finally figured out how to get library books on my kindle. Duh, it was so easy. Silly me, I thought if I got them on my tablet, which I was able to do earlier, that I could easily transfer them to my kindle...no go though. They have to be loaded directly to the kindle. My tablet is heavy, hard to hold up, has a short battery live, has to be manually turned off, and is just such a pain compared to the kindle. Spoiled, spoiled, spoiled :biggrin:

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I've been reading a lot lately. Some Danielle Steel - The Apartment, Blue, Magic, Family Ties, Betrayal. Blue was my favorite.

Nora Robert's Chasing Fire - Couldn't get into that. It's about fire jumpers who jump out of planes into the edges of wildfires and try to help extinguish/control.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
"The Deep" by Nick Cutter.

I picked it up because it was endorsed by my guy, Stephen King, and I can see why he liked it (very much in his style).

I like it, too, except for the parts where animals suffer - I hate that.

Lee

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'm reading a mystery series by 'Ed McBain'. When I started them I did not realize the first of these was written in 1955. And there is a series of 50+ of this 87th Precinct Mysteries.
These are cheap or free Kindle E books. I love being able to read on my puter or on my phone. No matter where I am I have my book with me. Often in places where there is no phone signal but I can still read my current book as long as I have already downloaded it to my phone. TMI I suppose but it workes for me.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I'm reading a mystery series by 'Ed McBain'. When I started them I did not realize the first of these was written in 1955. And there is a series of 50+ of this 87th Precinct Mysteries.
These are cheap or free Kindle E books. I love being able to read on my puter or on my phone. No matter where I am I have my book with me. Often in places where there is no phone signal but I can still read my current book as long as I have already downloaded it to my phone. TMI I suppose but it workes for me.

I have always loved McBain's 87th Precinct novels.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Finished The Associate - really good! Now I'm on Grisham's 2nd Jake Brigance (A Time to Kill) novel.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
The Hangman's daughter. Set in the 1650's Bavaria. by Oliver Potzsch ***** stars.