What are you reading?

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
A couple of years ago, luvs started a thread on this subject, but a lot of the members who replied in that thread are no longer around to discuss their answers.

So, let's start a new one!

I just finished the second book in a series by Chelsea Cain about a beautiful woman who is a serial killer and the cop who is obsessed with her.

Now reading Lisa Jackson's "You Don't Want to Know", which is about a woman whose little boy evidently disappeared from her house, and she believes she's either going crazy or her family wants her to believe that she is.

In the car, I'm listening to Stephen King's "11/22/63 about what might have happened if a man went back in time and killed Oswald, to prevent Kennedy's assassination. Twenty-five CD's (Steve tends to go on. And on). This is taking me awhile to get through, since I only work a mile from home.

What are you reading?

Lee

Last edited:

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
This is taking me awhile to get through, since I only work a mile from home.

What are you reading?

Lee

You either need to get another job or retire....

Dave Barry "Insane City"

I have truly missed this man's humor ever since he quit writing his newspaper column.

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
The Winner, David Baldacci. It's not a new one, I'm re-reading it.

Harlan Coban is on my list and I'll have to check on Chelsea Cain.

Buzz, is that a new Dave Barry?

Jim

K

Kimchee

Working my way through Micheal Connelly's cop mystery
series featuring Hieronymus Bosch.

belaine

Bottle Washer
Super Site Supporter
Both Connelly and Baldacci are my favorites! Read them all. See the movie Lincoln Lawyer one of Connelly books made it to big screen a few years ago.

Another good author of mysteries I follow is John Sandford.

chocolate moose

Super Site Supporter
I'm also waiting for that new Dave Barry.

I read Josh Wolf's It takes Balls or somethinglike that. It was funny, about being a single dad.

I also ready Jodi Picoult's new Holocaust book, The Storyteller. Liked it!

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I stopped by the thrift store yesterday and picked up one of John Grisham's books that I somehow missed, The Appeal. I usually read all of his books. I hope I don't get a couple of chapters into it and discover that I've already read it. I've been known to do that :dizzy:.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Recently finished Dennis LeHane's "Any Given Day", mainly about a family of Boston Irish cops set in the early 1900's, when Babe Ruth was playing in our town.

My father thought it was "eh", but I loved it.

Now reading the third in a series of Chelsea Cain's "The Beauty Killer" books.

Lee

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I'm hoping to finish up "Unintended Consequences" by John Ross. Not my usual type of reading as I prefer scifi, westerns etc but it is interesting to say the least but mostly political.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Not a book, but I've been reading up on the latest JonBenet Ramsey news.

"BOULDER, Colo. (AP) - A grand jury found enough evidence to indict the parents of JonBenet Ramsey for child abuse and accessory to first-degree murder in the 6-year-old's death, newly unsealed documents revealed Friday, nearly a decade after DNA evidence cleared the couple.

But the 1999 documents shed no light on who was responsible for the child beauty queen's death, and 14 years later, authorities are no closer to finding her killer.

The documents confirmed reports earlier this year that grand jurors had indeed recommended an indictment in the case, contrary to the long-held perception that the secret panel ended their work without deciding to charge anyone.

At the time, then-District Attorney Alex Hunter didn't mention an indictment, saying only that there wasn't enough evidence to warrant charges against the Ramseys, who had long maintained their innocence." http://www.dailymail.com/News/NationandWorld/201310260100

This just doesn't seem right to me. If the grand jury recommends an indictment, it seems that the DA should have to act on the recommendation. He should have to either convince the gj that there is not enough evidence and get them to change their ruling or step down and get another DA appointed who has the ... to do what the gj recommends.

Who is he just to decide by himself, against the wishes of the gj, what should be done :huh:. The whole things stinks to high heaven. Probably legal, but I still don't like it.

My thoughts have been all over the place on this case. At first I thought the killer was the son with the mom/dad covering for him. I'm pretty convinced now though that it was Mom, but lots of people are still leaning towards Dad being the guilty one.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
But, Cooksie, weren't the Benet family members cleared by DNA evidence?

Fascinating case, still!

Lee

lilbopeep

🍀🍀🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I was off work so I read the new Stephen King book "Doctor Sleep". The sequel to "The Shining" VERY good read. Thick book, I read it in 2 days, I just didn't want to put it down. I have missed a few King books. I want to read 11/22/63, as soon as I can get it I will.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Somehow, I missed a few of John Grisham's books. I have to read them!

The Confession, The LItigator

The Litigator is good, CM. I think you'll like it. I've re-read The Street Lawyer several times and am still entertained by it.

But, Cooksie, weren't the Benet family members cleared by DNA evidence?

Fascinating case, still!

Lee

Yes, but the crime scene was so badly botched (the dad moved the body, took tape off of her, put a blanket over her, etc) that the DNA evidence is kind of questionable.

I wish I was smart enough to understand "touch DNA" and all that other stuff, but I'm not :mrgreen: .

Ian M.

Just finisihed reading Dan Brown's latest - The Inferno. Excellent read and keeps you on the edge of your chair. Brown has a style that intrigues - you believe you have everything pretty well nailed down and know "who done it" only to find out later that nothing is as it seemed to be and the bad guys are actually good and the good guys are qute evil! The man is a master storyteller. DW and I are now into reading the entire 29 book series of "Cat Who" books by Lillian Jackson Braun. Fun reading - has anyone else ever read any or all of them? There is a companion cookbook of all the foods mentioned in the series - some of these recipes are wonderful and yummy, too. There is even a recipe for "Kabibbles" - a cat treat that our cats just love! Better than Pounce!

Ian :)

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I've enjoyed Dan Brown's and John Grisham's books but have not read their latest. Will have to get those soon.
Currently I'm readying and old one, Lee Child's 2nd Jack Reacher novel. Fun read that moves at a fast pace. Funny to read books where they don't yet have cell phones to help things along. :yum:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I have just finish Ender Games first 5 books (movie is only the first). I also own the next series of 5 book that are the next series based on it. I currently have a number of other scifi and mysteries loaded on my kindle to read.

Sent by Tapatalk HD on a Kindle HDX.

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
Just started "Sleeper Spy" by William Safire. It's a used bookstore bargain, $1.19. Published in 1995.

Jim

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I have just finish Ender Games first 5 books (movie is only the first). I also own the next series of 5 book that are the next series based on it. I currently have a number of other scifi and mysteries loaded on my kindle to read.

Sent by Tapatalk HD on a Kindle HDX.
Is this like, and was it written after the Hunger Games? I've read and enjoyed the Hunger Games books, have yet to see any of the movies. The movies are usually a let down after reading the books (at least to me). I do kind of enjoy picking the movies a part though (but no one with me wants to hear that stuff :yum: ).

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Is this like, and was it written after the Hunger Games? I've read and enjoyed the Hunger Games books, have yet to see any of the movies. The movies are usually a let down after reading the books (at least to me). I do kind of enjoy picking the movies a part though (but no one with me wants to hear that stuff :yum: ).

I'm not sure if it was before or after the Hunger Games. I agree though that movies never come close to the actual books though I also understand why. Much of what you read in a book can't really be done in a screen adaptation in a reasonable amount of time. A good example is the God Father. Early in the movie a rather large guy walks into a bar is then stabbed in the hand and garroted to death. He was covered over two chapters in the book covering who and what he was to the God Father. It would of been somewhat a long section of the movie.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'm not sure if it was before or after the Hunger Games. I agree though that movies never come close to the actual books though I also understand why. Much of what you read in a book can't really be done in a screen adaptation in a reasonable amount of time. A good example is the God Father. Early in the movie a rather large guy walks into a bar is then stabbed in the hand and garroted to death. He was covered over two chapters in the book covering who and what he was to the God Father. It would of been somewhat a long section of the movie.
Exactly Joe. I remember those chapters in the Godfather book. :thumb: You do understand more of the whys and wherefores of the movie if you've read the book.

Luna2013

I've just finished reading The Woman Upstairs by Claire Messud. It was well written and interesting even if I didn't end up liking the main character at all! :)

Ian M.

Am right in the middle of a book entitled "All Of My Patients Are Under The Bed" about a vet in New York City whose practice was limited only to cats. Hilariously funny and oh, so true as to where you find cats when they need to visit the vet!
Back at the time of WWII, when this gentleman practiced, he actually made house calls on his patients! Unbelievable!

Ian

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Started The Best of Me last night, and it's pretty good so far.

Excerpt from Nicholas Sparks:

"In the spring of 1984, high school students Amanda Collier and Dawson Cole fell deeply, irrevocably in love. Though they were from opposite sides of the tracks, their love for one another seemed to defy the realities of life in the small town of Oriental, North Carolina. But as the summer of their senior year came to a close, unforeseen events would tear the young couple apart, setting them on radically divergent paths.

Now, twenty-five years later, Amanda and Dawson are summoned back to Oriental for the funeral of Tuck Hostetler, the mentor who once gave shelter to their high school romance. Neither has lived the life they imagined . . . and neither can forget the passionate first love that forever changed their lives.

As Amanda and Dawson carry out the instructions Tuck left behind for them, they realize that everything they thought they knew—about Tuck, about themselves, and about the dreams they held dear—was not as it seemed. Forced to confront painful memories, the two former lovers will discover undeniable truths about the choices they have made. And in the course of a single, searing weekend, they will ask of the living, and the dead: Can love truly rewrite the past?"

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I am really enjoying John Steinbeck's "Cannery Row", which was recommended to me by a friend. I have only read one other Steinbeck book, "Grapes of Wrath", and that was in high school.

Such a great author - wonderful, lyrical descriptions of characters and environment, and a wry sense of humor! Reminds me of my beloveds - Ray Bradbury and Stephen King.

It's a refreshing change from the pop murder mystery stuff I love and almost always read.

Will read "Of Mice and Men" next.

Lee

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I just got a Kindle Paperwhite and a 30 day free trial to Kindle Unlimited on Amazon. Yesterday I started When I'm Gone by Emily Bleeker, and it's one of the best books I've read in a while.

The Kindle deal also had a freebie attached, any book under $30 for free. I got a paperback version of Foreign Faction byJames Kolar. It's about the JonBenet Ramsey case. I'm saving it for reading after my free 30 day trial runs out with Unlimited.

From what I've read about the book (just internet talk, so :whistling:) Kolar's theory (not explicitly stated in the book because of libel laws, I guess) is that Burke, the young brother, killed JonBenet. I've already read so many other books on the subject, and it seems like everyone runs in a different direction...Patsy did it, Intruder did it, John did it..., so I'm going to read his take on the whole thing.

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
Re-reading "Seawitch" by Alistair Maclean.

I have an ipad with the Kindle app. I read very few paper books now.

Jim