NetCookingTalk is now on FACEBOOK!

Please don't just become "Facebook Only". I'm not, nor will I ever be, a "Facebook" member. Nor "Twitter" or any other inane populist page.

Have more than enough fun & spend more than enough time on websites that aren't hellbent on sucking in my personal information. (And if you don't think Facebook does this, boy do you have a lot to learn!)

lilbopeep

🍀🍀🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Facebook doesn't have ANY of my personal info except my email. NO NAME or any other info.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Please don't just become "Facebook Only". I'm not, nor will I ever be, a "Facebook" member. Nor "Twitter" or any other inane populist page.

Have more than enough fun & spend more than enough time on websites that aren't hellbent on sucking in my personal information. (And if you don't think Facebook does this, boy do you have a lot to learn!)
Well said Breezy. I agree and know you are right about the personal information.
NCT is there in hopes of bringing more members here, but I have to admit I do not put much effort into it as I can't stand going over there. It gives me the heebee jeebees.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Facebook doesn't have ANY of my personal info except my email. NO NAME or any other info.
If you have not given your name then they probably don't have it ...at least not from you. but if you have any family contacts who are claimed as family or friends you knew from school or work it is not hard for then to decipher who you are. If you are in any one's contacts on their cell phone and they use their facebook account from the phone then they have your name number and maybe email if that is listed in your contact info. If it is the same one you used with a bogus facebook id they can then tie the two together to know who you are. So many ways for them to decipher the info, and dang if they don't have programs that do just that for them. I'm normally not a paranoid person but I will admit, facebook makes me paranoid.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
I NEVER put ANY of my info on FB. I use the email addy as my name. I really only go there to play the cafe world game. LOL I have NONE of my real life family (not many of them left and are not pc savvy) on my facebook account.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Of course they do! You had to give them that info in order to sign up.
negatory breezy. It's easy to sign up with a bogus name and generic email address that you only use for facebook. But if you want old friends to find you and accept your friend requests the vast majority use their real names and even include maiden names.

Well, I guess that's true for anything you sign up for, but it seems to defeat the purpose.

Regardless, Facebook, et al, ain't for me. I'm perfectly happy contacting my acquaintances & loved ones via the now age-old e-mail, as well as - gah - the telephone, & - double-gah - even "snail mail". Oh, the humanity!

Anyone who isn't privey to the above info is obviously someone I'm not interested in being in immediate contact with. If more people took that into consideration, there would be far fewer people whining about Facebook problems.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
My ONLY purpose for facebook is to play the games so NO purpose is defeated. They can ONLY get info that YOU give them. And like you said Breezy I can call any family or friends or write a letter and put a stamp on it.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
i only put stuff on there that i'd say/show to anyone. pix included. many old friends located me there.
&, as doc said,u can use bogus info. or not. & u can get to the library & use one of thier computer labs make bogus e-mail accounts. i own several for that purpose.
& i know that i'm not whining. i see no one here whining. i'm saying people can be nebby, & i like to keep pieces of my life seperate from others.
they can find your actual info. easily. remember the cell phone deal that released all people's #'s on people's phone's contact list to the public if u owned a certain brand of phone.....
i call people. i send Christmas cards. i send snail mail. regardless, i'm cautious.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks shermie! I am MIA on facebook more often than not but I try when I have the time.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Thanks shermie! I am MIA on facebook more often than not but I try when I have the time.

You welcome!

I'm Linus Baxter on Facebook.

You might mainly see me doing advocacy work there on other pages on the issues concerning the recent trial of George Zimmerman.

But I will also be visiting the forum there and maybe posting recipes there as well. :cooking:

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I know. Who would like to take it on as a project. I can fix you up and let you post as NCT. Please.
I don't know Doc.
Seems like those who were once active there are neither here nor there, or prefer to be here rather than there.
I think Facebook has gone it's own way, while those of us who stick to forums are doing just that.
I'm on both so I don't really want to try and activate something if it's not going to take off.

Reactions: Doc

LastManStanding

I know. Who would like to take it on as a project. I can fix you up and let you post as NCT. Please.
Let's each of us share something everyday. All we have to do is share it on personal facebooks and invite friends to like it. Let's do it. (I won't be on computer for 4 days from tomorrow, but I'll be on the mobile phone).

Last edited:

LastManStanding

I don't know Doc.
Seems like those who were once active there are neither here nor there, or prefer to be here rather than there.
I think Facebook has gone it's own way, while those of us who stick to forums are doing just that.
I'm on both so I don't really want to try and activate something if it's not going to take off.
Facebook is like that. Some people just create profiles and leave. Some others find different interests. Sometimes I browse the pages I've liked, and find that the pages don't even exist now. lol.
However, some others continue to post and invite friends until they get at least 5k likes, and then post some rubbish which people like to share. Facebook pages have different tricks to get their posts shared. I'll show a few examples later. :)

LastManStanding

Here are some posts aimed at getting facebook likes and shares :D

Lost and found (So you share it so the owner finds it- maybe a smartphone. But actually it's the facebook page admin's smartphone)

I share is 1 blessing - for a sick boy let's say. (You share to bless. But it's the facebook page admin's little brother who is healthy)

Share only if you agree (That you deserve a better salary)

If you love (Jesus) then share

Share only if you love (Mother Theresa)

People around you are opportunists

I did good but now they ignore me

This is (Ethiopia) and this is my country (To say that your politicians are bad)

Please share until (he) is found (Actually he's the facebook page admin's little brother)

This is what (the celebrity) did when she found a poor kid (direct the traffic to a blog post)

This is what happened to the mean guy (direct traffic to a blog post)

That (religious/racist/colour) group has reported my page so please share (so those who hate the said group share the post)

All these are a very few of the zillion tricks invented by facebook page admins to get likes and shares. But not every page falls down to that level. There are so many pages actually liked for their genuine content. :)

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Today Facebook logged me off, password is invalid, and won’t let me set a new one. I’m done for now.
John it's everyone mostly.
I'm on both messenger and Facebook right now.
Jeff isn't able to, and Jules got kicked off.

Screenshot_20240305-113430.png

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I heard Facebook was broken. There are funny memes about that too. Zukerberg fixing a wire. lol.
It should work now.
I know, I posted one.
On Sunday, I logged into messenger.
I got this alert/request to change my password because of META.
I refused to do it.
Nothing changed at all.
After about an hour of getting texts on my phone from friends freaking out, I told them to check it again.
It was a little slow this morning, but I had no problem logging into either FB or the messenger app.
I cleared my cache on both after all this fuss happened and suddenly I could see some things appearing again.

LastManStanding

I know, I posted one.
On Sunday, I logged into messenger.
I got this alert/request to change my password because of META.
I refused to do it.
Nothing changed at all.
After about an hour of getting texts on my phone from friends freaking out, I told them to check it again.
It was a little slow this morning, but I had no problem logging into either FB or the messenger app.
I cleared my cache on both after all this fuss happened and suddenly I could see some things appearing again.
That's the one I was talking about, yes now I remember.
Strange how people depend on a company that does nothing but selling our own data back to our own selves. lol.
One reason why I post and repost some stuff is my envy at them, "you make money from my data, I will at least waste your server space." :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: