More Peanut Butter Cookies w/ Variation

FryBoy

I made my mom's peanut butter cookies again this afternoon. They're simply the best I've ever had, and very easy to make. But this time I tried a couple of minor variations and made one small mistake, and the result was a slightly different (but still great) texture. I think I know why.

First, here's the recipe with some expanded directions for the inexperienced baker (like my daughter). It's also attached in a printable PDF version:

Mom’s Peanut Butter Cookies
Annie Collins, 1911 – 1970

Mix:

½ cup shortening (Crisco)
¾ cup white sugar
½ cup brown sugar
¾ cup peanut butter
1 egg

Beat shortening, peanut butter, and sugars in mixer until creamy, about 3 to 5 minutes; add egg and beat until well incorporated,

Sift Together:

1 cup sifted flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
¾ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt

Add about ½ the flour mixture to the creamed butter and sugar mixture; mix on low speed until just incorporated; add remaining flour and mix until it is just incorporated.

Roll dough into balls the size of a small walnut (about ¾ ounce each); flatten with a fork dipped in flour (make crisscross marks on each cookie with the tines of the fork).

Bake 8 to 12 minutes at 375 degrees.

Makes about 3 dozen cookies.

This time I made two small variations, just for the heck of it:

1. I added ¼ teaspoon of vanilla extract to the butter and sugar mixture before adding the egg.

2. I sprinkled a pinch of granulated sugar on each cookie before popping them in the oven.

And I made one mistake (and I wasn't even drinking) (yet): I forgot to sift the flour before measuring it, which in theory resulted in slightly more flour.

As I said, the cookies came out a little different this time. They are a little puffier than usual, and they have deep cracks across the surface, like some thick sugar cookies. Here are three photos, first the previous batch, then two of today's batch:

534908171_M2CcB-X3.jpg

This is the previous batch.

570124214_THxjH-X2.jpg

Today's Batch

570124291_kU9eA-X2.jpg

Today's Batch, Closeup.

The cracks don't show all that well in the photos, but they're there, trust me, and today's cookies have a different in texture. Maybe it's just batch variation, or maybe it's today's warm, dry weather. I think it's the little bit of extra flour.

What do you think?

Thanks.

Attachments

• Peanut Butter Cookies.pdf
    26.6 KB · Views: 275