'Forbidden rice" or the Purple rice, anyone have any ideas ?

My friend from brazil sent me a few samples of rice that she uses there. One of which was the Purple rice, which she labelled as ' rich rice' since apparantly it is expensive , and only the wealthier people use it .

Knowing this, I dont want to waste something by just boiling it in a pot with water and eating it like regualr rice. Just curious if anyone has tasted or cooked with this rice. And if there are any suggestions as for what to do so I could enjoy it to the fullest extent, if i can even achieve this level with rice :smile:

High Cheese

Saucier
I have heard of it, but can't help you. Please post what you did with it though.

IIRC: It's called Forbidden because only Emporers and such were allowed to consume it. Hence: Forbidden to eat it.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I've eaten prepared by someone else years ago. I couldn't tell you how it was prepared different than other rice I've had. It was alright if I remember correctly at least I remember eating it. I prefer brown long grain rice or yellow rice (saffron added).

Calicolady

I've never heard of it. Is it really purple, purple?
Is it long grain or short?
Maybe MexicoKaren can help you out.
Let us know when you do anything with it.

PanchoHambre

Larry never used purple... sounds cool though. I do buy red rice sometimes.. I bet you could make a really cool looking dish with it though