Chicken, peppers, sausage...

Phiddlechik

Whole chicken, red and green peppers, onion, celery, tomato sauce (just a small can), garlic and other assorted spices (lots of choices), rice, spicy sausages...
is that a cacciatori, gumbo w/out okra (is there such a thing?), jambalaya...?

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Whole chicken, red and green peppers, onion, celery, tomato sauce (just a small can), garlic and other assorted spices (lots of choices), rice, spicy sausages...
is that a cacciatori, gumbo w/out okra (is there such a thing?), jambalaya...?
My mom and aunts would brown chic pieces then throw ALL (except sub potatoes usually but not always for the rice) your ingredients along with the chic in a roasting pan along wine red wine and a splash of vinegar, basil, oregano. Cover and bake till chic and veggies get tender than uncover till finished (let juices reduce a bit). If no potatoes served over rice. Mom used brown rice.

Leni

Got to throw some okra in there. It sounds very good. What time's dinner? I'll be there.

Phiddlechik

Here's what I did: cut up the chicken, back and neck in pot simmering, may throw in a bit of onion, celery, carrot...
Took the skin off, except for the wings... left it on them. Cut the breasts in two (so 4 pieces of breast meat), cut the leg/thighs apart. Seasoned with: smoked paprika, pepper, seasoning for grilling marked "chicken," (ha), garlic powder. Browned the pieces, put into a casserole (actually, a fabulous piece from France that my brother gave me). Sauteed diced red and green pepper, onion, celery in that pan, then tossed in sliced beef hot links. Put over the chicken, topped with the can of tomato sauce. Ladled in a bit of the stock that I had started right away.
Pics later... I'm taking some for my blog.
no okra... don't have any. and not sure I want to have any! haha!

Phiddlechik

Here it is...

Attachments

• IMG_3473.jpg
    IMG_3473.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_3478.jpg
    IMG_3478.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 159

Phiddlechik

It was good! Thanks! I think I would prefer crushed tomatoes, but didn't have that on hand. We are school teachers... and right now we are at the end of last year's check, and this year's isn't until next week, so kind of limited right now!

SilverSage

Resident Crone
After my mom died, my dad taught school for a couple years - catholic school - 6th grade. I remember what it was like in August! Lots of kraft dinner & spaghetti. Bread, pasta & potatoes made a pound of hamburger or a single can of tuna stretch to feed a family of 5 kids.

Your dinner certainly doesn't look like an August meal!

Phiddlechik

got the peppers on sale... I always try to keep onion, celery, carrots (not in this dish), garlic, and a can of tomato sauce on hand. I cut the chicken myself, it was a .99/lb fryer. It's really amazing what one can make with the basics and spices! I also love using a rice cooker. Got one for my son in college last year, he never used it. So, I took it back! It does a great job with brown rice! I settled for store brand long grain, but LOVE Lundberg's. But, that will have to wait another month! As a substitute teacher, I get paid a month AFTER I work, so won't see a decent paycheck until end of October!

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Phiddlechik, that looks absolutley amazing!! I'd love to have a big plate of that right now! Wonderful!!! :clap:

I'm going to try this soon myself! Thank you! :thumb:

Last edited:

Phiddlechik

Thanks! Denby stoneware that we got as our wedding "china" 30 years ago this spring. Of course, discontinued years ago. A shelf fell in a rental place we had 23 years ago and I broke lots of the bowls and cups. grrrr..... The bowls were $26 a piece in 1981!

abi_csi

That looks really amazing - making me hungry! Never though about what a great combo chicken and sausages could be.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks for bumping this up, abi - I missed it the first time around!

I will be making that in the near future, phiddle - looks delicious!

Lee