Pork Chile Verde (Spicy Mexican Pork Stew)

GotGarlic

Pork Chile Verde (Spicy Mexican Pork Stew)

4 pounds bone-in pork butt or shoulder, trimmed of fat and cut into 2-inch cubes
2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
Flour for dredging
1/4 cup vegetable oil
3 yellow onions
2 green bell peppers, cut into 1-inch cubes
2 Anaheim or poblano chiles, cut into 1-inch cubes
2-3 jalapenos, seeds removed, and finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
1 1/2 pounds tomatillos, roasted, peeled and chopped (or 2 cups prepared salsa verde)
1 tbsp. dried oregano
2 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. ground coriander
2 bay leaves
1 bunch cilantro leaves, cleaned and chopped
4 cups pork broth (see step 1)
Sour cream and Monterey Jack cheese, for serving

Place the bone and trimmings in a medium saucepan and cover with 5 cups water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer for two hours.

In a large bowl, season pork meat with salt and pepper and sprinkle with flour. Toss to coat. In a 5.5-quart or larger Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat and brown pork cubes on all sides, in batches. Remove to a medium bowl and set aside.

Discard all but 2 tbsp. fat and add the onions and bell peppers to the pot. Saute over medium heat, stirring occasionally, till softened, about 5 minutes. Add the Anaheim or poblano chiles and jalapenos and sauté for 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook another minute.

Add tomatillos or salsa verde, oregano, cumin, coriander and bay leaves to the pot. Add pork and combine thoroughly. Add pork broth, bring to a boil, and reduce to a simmer. Cook for 2-3 hours uncovered until the pork is fork-tender.

Stir in chopped cilantro. Adjust seasoning to taste. Serve over rice or use chile verde to fill enchiladas or tacos. Garnish with sour cream and Monterey Jack cheese.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I made half this recipe last night with leftover pork loin roast. It was great, but not at all spicy.

Next time, I'll add more jalapenos.

This was the first time I've worked with tomatillos - DELICIOUS!

Served over white rice.

Lee

BTW, I'll post the recipe crediting the original chefs.

Pork Chile Verde
c.1997, M.S. Milliken & S. Feniger, all rights reserved

4 pounds pork butt or shoulder, trimmed of fat and cut into 2-inch cubes
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Flour for dredging
1/4 cup vegetable oil
3 yellow onions
2 green bell peppers, cut into 1-inch cubes
2 Anaheim or Poblano chiles, cut into 1-inch cubes
2-3 jalapenos, seeds removed, and finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
1 1/2 pounds tomatillos, roasted, peeled and chopped
1 tablespoon dried oregano
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 tablespoons coriander seeds, crushed and soaked in a scant amount of water
2 bay leaves
1 bunch cilantro leaves, cleaned and chopped
4 cups chicken stock

Season the pork meat generously with salt and pepper, lightly flour. Heat oil in a heavy-bottomed skillet over medium high heat and brown pork chunks well in small batches, on all sides. Lift pork out of pan and place in a wide soup pot. Discard fat and place the onions and peppers in the same skillet and sweat over moderate heat, stirring occasionally until limp, about 5 minutes. Add all of the chiles and cook an additional 3-4 minutes, then add the garlic and cook 1-2 minutes more.

Add the Sauteed vegetables, chopped tomatillos, dried herbs and cilantro to the meat, cover with the chicken stock and bring up to a boil and reduce to a slight simmer. Cook for 2-3 hours uncovered or until the pork is fork tender.

Adjust the seasoning to taste with salt and pepper. Serve with red rice for a delightful contrast.
Pork Chile Verde.JPG

Last edited:

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Looks great, I'll bet that would be good in a flour tortilla too. It looks thick enough.

I bought my first tomatillos not too long ago, and I love them too. To me they taste kind of like a tangy green tomato.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I bought my first tomatillos not too long ago, and I love them too. To me they taste kind of like a tangy green tomato.

Yes, a bit sour, but an undertone of sweet in there, too. Really good!

Lee

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
This recipe was delicious made with leftover roasted pork shoulder, but I think I'll omit the potatoes next time and serve it over rice.

Lee

chili.jpg