Kathy's Crockpot Clam Chowder

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
My friend, Kathy, made this for us the other night. Unbelievably great!

As a New Englander, I'm picky about my clam chowder, and this recipe is right up there with my two favorites: the famous Union Oyster House in Boston, and the many time Cape Cod chowder champion, Cap'n Parker's Pub.

Great job, Kath!

Lee

Kathy’s Crockpot Clam Chowder (SPECTACULAR!!!)

Ingredients

• 5 (6 1/2 oz.) cans chopped or minced clams with juice
  • ½ pound bacon, diced
  • 1 cup chopped onion
  • 8 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
  • 3 cups water
  • 3 1/2 teaspoons salt, or to taste
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 4 cups half and half cream
  • 3 to 4 tablespoons cornstarch
  • chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
  • Lee’s note: add a sprig of rosemary to pot and remove it before serving
Preparation

If necessary, chop or slice the clams into bite-sized pieces.

In a skillet, fry the diced bacon and onion until golden brown; drain. Drain and add the bacon and onion to the slow cooker with the minced or chopped clams.

Add the onion, potatoes, and the water, add 2 teaspoons of salt and the freshly ground black pepper.

Cover and cook on high 3 to 4 hours or until vegetables are tender.

During the last hour of cooking, combine 1 cup of milk or half-and-half with the cornstarch. Add the cornstarch mixture and the remaining milk or half-and-half to the slow cooker and stir to blend. Taste and adjust seasonings, adding more salt, as needed.

Top each serving with a sprinkling of chopped fresh parsley and serve with saltines, oyster crackers, or crusty French bread.

Serves 8 to 10

Tips and Variations

· Instead of all water, use chicken broth, clam juice, and/or a combination of all

• Add 1/2 cup of chopped celery to the skillet along with the onions.
  • Add a teaspoon of chopped fresh garlic when the onions and bacon are browned and cook for about 1 more minute.
  • Fry a few extra strips of bacon. Crumble the extra cooked bacon and refrigerate it to use as a garnish for the finished chowder.
  • Instead of chopped fresh parsley, use sliced green onion tops to garnish each serving.

Attachments

• Kathy's clam chowder.JPG
    Kathy's clam chowder.JPG
    95 KB · Views: 1,010

Johnny West

That sounds and looks wonderful. Do you folks on the East Coast drizzle cream sherry on the bowl at the table like they do on the West Coast?

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
That sounds and looks wonderful. Do you folks on the East Coast drizzle cream sherry on the bowl at the table like they do on the West Coast?

I've not heard of that, John.

I would try that on a small cup of chowder to see if I like it.

I take it that you do like it?

Lee

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Haven't made this in ages, but thought it was a good dinner for a summer night.

Used 4 cans of CHOPPED (not minced) clams and 5 potatoes. Fried out a pound of diced salt pork (yum!)

Better the second day.

Lee

Attachments

• clam chowder.JPG
    clam chowder.JPG
    133.2 KB · Views: 963