Holiday Menus 2010

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Do you have your menu plans set or are you still planning? These are tentative plans.

Christmas Eve 2010

Baked Stuffed Clams
Fried Calamari
Panko herb crusted Fried Fish
White Clam Sauce
Broccoli with oil & garlic
Olive Sauce
Linguine (to be topped with sauce of choice)
Salad
Cheese Cake

Christmas Day 2010

Cream cheese, green olive & walnut poppers
Eye Round Roast
Yorkshire Pudding
Burgundy Gravy
Veggies (to be decided later)
Mashed potatoes
Salad
Lemon Meringue Pie

New Years Eve & New Years Day 2010

Meat & Cheese Platter:
Dry sausages (baby salami, pepperoni, sopressata)
Brie, Blue cheese & Gouda Cheese (regular and/or smoked)

Salsa
Olive Salad
Bean salad
Macaroni Salad
Potato Salad
Blue Cheese Dip
Onion Dip
Green salad
Cold Cuts
Bread/Rolls
Sandwich toppers (lettuce, tomato, onion etc) and condiments
Chips
TJ's Puff Pastry Appetizers

Last edited:

Phiddlechik

Tradition rules: Swedish meatballs (cream gravy), potatoes, easy veg for Christmas Eve. Who knows, maybe even lutefisk this year. Along with lots of lefse.
Christmas Day: rib roast (ya know, what people call "prime" rib, yes, I know it's probably not "prime" but "choice"), a potato casserole, cheesey peas (peas, cream, and that wonderfully meltable stuff in the yellow box. yep.)
and of course, a pickle makes it a meal.
Cheesecake for dessert, along with cookies, maybe some krumkakke.
oh yeah, lots of lefse!

We are having company between Christmas and New Year's, will be doing a turkey or ham for them, so may do whatever we don't do for them for New Year's. Or say to heck with it and do another seafood/shellfish thing for the Eve. Last year I did lobster and crab Newburg. We are invited to a wedding on New Year's Day.

Last edited:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I'm still baking cookies :lol:

The only thing that is set is the traditional New Year Day dinner:
Pork tenderloin
Mashed Potatoes
Greens (for prosperity)
Black-eyed peas (for luck)
corn on the cob (just because :lol:)
Cornbread

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Wow! That's a lot of food, Peeps! How many people do you have for dinner?

I always make prime rib. Real prime. I order it from the Chop Shop and Hank pays for it. He gave me $120 to buy the roast this year, and I'm sure it will take all of that. Christmas & Thanksgiving, he slips me money for the food. Since I cook for them all year long, I guess he feels it's his contribution. I used to try to refuse the money, but years ago I gave up. So now we have an arrangement - he pays for the holiday dinner, and I cook it. Actually, it's a nice arrangement because I get to splurge on prime for Christmas.

Other than Yorkshire pudding, I haven't decided what else there will be - I just know it will be too much food for 6 of us.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
People always say WOW thats a lot of food. BUT it's a little of each so not really that much. People tend to cook to much food and can't grasp smaller batches. LOL I grew up with BIG family holiday meals. My girls have missed out on the family memories but they can have the food memories I just cook smaller servings.

I rarely have leftovers. New years eve and day I cook/prepare the food for both days ahead and everyone helps themselves and hub takes sammie to work.

Lobstah & Filet Mignon :wub:

Contemplating one of two:

http://www.livelob.com/Store/Product.aspx?ID=LOBSTERLICIOUS_GRAM

http://ww.livelob.com/Store/Product.aspx?ID=FILET_FEAST_AND_MAINE_TAILS

Two Live Maine Lobsters (select size below)
Two 6 oz. Filet Mignon Steaks
One 20 oz. New England Clam Chowder
Two 4 oz. Maryland-style Premium Crab Cakes
One 20 oz. White Chocolate Raspberry Cheesecake
Colombian Supremo Coffee (1.5 oz. - Makes 10 cups)
Fresh Lemon & Clarified Butter

lobsterliciousgram600.jpg

filetfeastandmainetails.jpg

Two 6-7 oz. Maine Lobster Tails
Two 6 oz. Filet Mignon Steaks
One 20 oz. New England Clam Chowder
Two 4 oz. Maryland-Style Crab Cakes
One 20 oz. White Chocolate Raspberry Cheesecake
Colombian Supremo Coffee (1.5 oz. - Makes 10 cups)
-------

Amuse Bouche (maybe strawberries & mascarpone spoons) or appetizer TBD
Salad
Veggie - TBD (whatever looks fresh at the market - leaning toward oven-roasted baby artichokes -- if I can find them)
Champagne, of course ;-)

ETA: This year I want to experiment with edible gold. Hope I can find it at the local market.

Last edited:

SilverSage

Resident Crone
CalCook, you can get edible gold sheets at Michael's - in the candy making aisle.

I'm not sure where you can get the powder - I haven't seen it in years.

Ronjohn

I suddenly have no idea what the Christmas Eve menu will be. We got a call this morning that the stomach flu had landed at my brother's house, claiming both kids and my brother as victims. So far the only holdout is my sister in law.

So we may be going shopping for something to eat for dinner tomorrow for a quiet Christmas Eve with just wifey and I.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Christmas Eve:

Rib Eye Steak
Shrimp
Twice Baked Potatoes
Deviled Eggs
Broccoli
Salad
Rolls
Italian Cream Cake

Christmas:
Roasted Turkey Breast
Mashed potatoes with gravy
Sweet potato casserole
Mustard Greens
Corn on the cob
Cranberry Sauce
Rolls
Banana Pudding

Phiddlechik

Making lefse now...
will add a layered salad (lettuce, scallions, shredded carrots, red bell pepper, frozen peas, frosted with ranch/mayo, topped with bacon) to go with the meatballs and potatoes Christmas Eve.
didn't find any lutefisk, yet.

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
....The extent of my cooking this holiday..........

I have to do dishes !
OfficePartyTray.jpg

Last edited:

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
Thx !
I do a tray every year, and I'm getting the hang of it !

This was last year's effort ..
NewPlate024.jpg

Last edited:

Mr. Green Jeans

Christmas is just the three of us so keeping it somewhat simple:

Spiral sliced ham with a honey mustard glaze
Twice baked potatoes
Roasted winter vegetables
Caesar salad (with anchovies)
Cranberry mincemeat pie (mincemeat is reconstituting in brandy as we speak) with egg nog whipped topping

GotGarlic

After looking at Mama's menu, I'm thinking I should go a little fancier for Christmas Eve. Right now, the plan is stuffed bell peppers with leftover carnitas, but now I have a taste for rib-eye, twice-baked potatoes and salad. I've been wanting to make a cherry tart, so I think that will be dessert.

For tomorrow, I'm making stracotto (Italian pot roast with red wine and rosemary), polenta, egg noodles and salad. Individual tirasmisu in martini glasses for dessert.

The bell peppers can wait till Sunday :lol:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Glad I could be of help GG :lol: I bought the most beautiful Rib eyes at Sam's. The marbling was more like prime cut than choice.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Those are beautiful trays LT! That was a great idea to alternate the meat and cheese...I may have to "borrow" that idea!

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
....The extent of my cooking this holiday..........

I have to do dishes !
OfficePartyTray.jpg
That really does look awesome! Is that pepperoni cheese? YUMMY I can't find that to many places any more. I found it in Acme last year but I don't shop there often and now most of the Acmes are closing.

lilylove

Dinner tonight will be fajitas... I'm not sure about tomorrow. :) I'm going to do a nice ham dinner when we get back to the states.

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
That's a beautiful platter, LT! I love how you alternated the cheese, meats and crackers. Makes it much easier for people to take some.

Can't take all the credit........ three of us were assigned the cheese tray, and one of them was from the Art Department :applause:

Is that pepperoni cheese?

Yep; Pepperoni Cheddar, and BACON Cheddar !

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Can't take all the credit........ three of us were assigned the cheese tray, and one of them was from the Art Department :applause:

Yep; Pepperoni Cheddar, and BACON Cheddar !
BACON Cheddar? YUMMY HEAVEN!! I have never seen that!!

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
turkey breast,butterflied,stuffing with apples inside,rolled,wrapped in bacon...cooked on the smoker

sides
sweet taters
gravy
cranberry sauce

simple but effective..lol

while smoker is going i am doing the other breast(for later use) from the turkey..its brining in what i call kickin chickin..or it may end up on the plate as well...lol

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Tomorrow we're having:

Appetizers:
Brie logs wrapped in phyllo, sliced and topped with pepper sauce.
Ahi tuna coated in black & white sesame seeds, then seared and served with a maple wasabi sauce

Salad:
Baby greens with bacon, red onion, apples, candied walnuts, gorgonzola and balsamic

Dinner:
Prime Rib
Mashed Potatoes with roasted garlic
Brussels Sprouts with pancetta and balsamic glaze
Dinner rolls

Dessert:
Flourless chocolate almond cake topped with coconut cream and covered in dark chocolate ganache, served with amaretto whipped cream

For the wine, I have a Meritage.

lilylove

Well..plans have changed again. They do that a lot while we're here. Turns out that one of our favorite resturants is catering a party downstairs. We'll be eating that for Christmas dinner. A few of us are also bringing side dishes. I'll be making cheesy potatoes with ham. Food Friends fun!

buckytom

Grill Master
wow, nice job, lt!!! :applause:

gg, do you have a recipe for the italian pot roast? wine and rosemary and beef sounds good.

mr green jeans, that cranberry mincemeat sounds interesting. could you post a recipe as well?

peeps', mama's and ss's menus look like they're from a fancy restaurant. i wish i could go to all three. :smile:

i took thursday night off, so our holiday meals really started then.

i made a standing rib roast (my best effort yet), and dw made mashed spuds, biscuits, and steamed corn on the cob that was so good it could have been eaten raw. i'm happy i can finally make a rib roast as good as a restaurant. the center bones perfectly medium rare, dripping with blood/juice, and the outer edges medium to well, for those who like to destroy their meat.

the best part was when, with dw freaking out, i fed my boy the blood from the groove on the cutting board, as my mom did with me. he's hooked now as i was on that sanguivorous treat.

tonight, christmas eve, we did the pan-european fish thing. we started with beautifully sweet gulf shrimp with sinus clearing cocktail sauce; then moved on to fried flounder, potato salad, and steamed string beans; and finally cracked open a coupla steamed lobsters and had their delicious flesh with drawn butter and crescent rolls. the monsters were perfect, steamed exactly 12 minutes for two 2 1/4 pounders. i could go for 2 more... :pig: :pig:

my mom is saving some fiskeboller for me on sunday, i hope.

dessert was milk and chocolate chip cookies that dw and our boy made. then i had to eat some more that were left out for santa. :pig::pig::pig::pig:

christmas day will start with omelettes with prosciutto, diced fennel, and diced holland peppers for breakfast, with fresh polish rye and polish butter.

we usually skip lunch in lieu of an early dinner, which will start with farmers cheese and more polish rye, and a platter of pickled norwegian herring and pickled polish cukes - sort of deconstructed rollmopse.

next, a main course of baked ham, baked potatoes, cole slaw, and steamed string beans, and yet more polish rye and butter.

then we're heading in to the city to see the tree and have dessert. not sure where yet, probably ferrara's in little italy: http://www.ferraracafe.com/nyc/ . dw is a creature of habit. 10,000 restaurants, and we always end up there for dessert.

on new year's eve, we're going out to our favourite portugese restaurant in the ironbound district of newark, don pepe's: http://www.donpeperestaurant.com/
they have awesome garlic shrimp, and of course the best paella on this side of the atlantic. then we're off to the devils/thrashers game before i have to head into work at 11p. :evil:

no plans yet for new years day, but my guess is sleep, then chinese food, lol.

Last edited: