Bulgogi... sweet spicy Korean ribeye

K

Kimchee

This is possibly one of my favorite ways to eat steak, aside from just grilled.
The meat is marinated in soy, sugar, peppers, pear and a bunch of other good stuff, then grilled.

This picture shows my Bulgogi Wraps, with some fried rice and tangy dipping sauce on top. Roll it up in the lettuce leaf and enjoy!

My avatar is a picture of bulgogi egg rolls and dipping sauce.

Attachments

• BulgogiWrap2.jpg
    BulgogiWrap2.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 497

chowhound

That looks good.
Is the meat grilled whole then cut into pieces? It doesn't look grilled. It kinda looks like fajita meat cooked on a skillet.
Do you have a more clear/detailed recipe of the marinade and sauce?

Deelady

My all time favorite dish growing up!!! My best friend was Korean and everytime I went to her house her grandmothwer (who didn't speak a lick of english) always made sure to have a big bowl of Bulgogi waiting for me! (although for some reason their family called it Kalbi even though it didn't have bones....)
Another thing I remember thinking back about it it seems she used like a chuck roast cut of meat because you could shred it apart easily with your fork, yet recipes I see for it never use that cut of meat......but it got me thinking to experiment with a chuck roast and try to make it in the crock pot or dutch oven. Ever hear of anyone making it this way? I just know she made it with large chunks or meat that fell apart.
Ahhhh memories! :D
I love how you serve yours in the lettuce wrap!:thumb:

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Great stuff, especially wrapped in the lettuce!! I am with everyone else, would love the recipe and instructions for this!

K

Kimchee

Gotta walk the dogs before it gets TOO dark, but will be back later with recipe!

K

Kimchee

"Chuckwagon Cookie's Bulgogi"....
So named, because my best friend is also a foodie, and every now and then we get together to drink many beers and cook. Any recipes we make
are always Chuckwagon Cookie's XXXXXX!

We both did some research on bulgogi recipes, did a little marinade taste testing, and this is the recipe we decided was a really good combination of many.
Truly authentic recipes use an Asian pear, because it is a natural meat tenderizer. We tried it with and without and didn't see much of a difference, so we went without.

Traditionally, ribeye steak is used, but you can use any equivalent cut.. ribeye is pretty fatty...

1 ½-2 LB Ribeye, sliced very thinly. (best to do when slightly frozen)
3 TBSP Sesame Oil
½ Cup Soy Sauce
1 bunch Green Onions, chopped
2 TBSP Honey
1 TBSP Brown Sugar
2 TBSP Garlic, Chopped
1 Tsp Fresh Ginger, Minced
2 TBSP Sake (friend uses Maker's Mark whisky, also good)
½ tsp Black Pepper
½ TBSP Red Pepper Flakes (more for fiery bulgogi!)
1 TBSP Toasted Sesame Seeds

Mix all of the above quite well. You need to get that honey incorporated! Add your steak, and mix it into the marinade.
Marinate for at least 30 minutes... we recommend 4 hours to overnight.
Remove from marinade and drain slightly.
Grill on very hot fire. If not available, you can stir fry in small batches.
(It will make a mess of your grill, but so what!)

Traditional serving method.... place some fried rice on lettuce leaf. Add
Bulgogi meat. If desired, add dipping sauce, roll up and enjoy!

DIPPING SAUCE
* 3 tablespoons salad oil
* 2 clove garlic, minced
* 2 teaspoons toasted sesame seeds
* 2 teaspoons scallion, minced
* 1 teaspoon Tabasco (more or less as desired)
( I prefer Frank's Red Hot Sauce)
* salt and pepper to taste

Note: My picture above has stirfried bulgogi, not grilled. Ran out of gas, and the aforementioned beers meant no driving to get more!

Deelady.. I am willing to bet that doing it in a crockpot with a roast would be just fine. I might shred the meat, mix back into the juices,
then put it in a flat dish and under the broiler for a while, to crisp it up some.... kinda like Carnitas!

buckytom

Grill Master
i just stumbled across this. thanks kimchee, copied and saved.

we just went out for korean bbq last week, and dw and the boy are hankering for more.

now i need to know how to make saewoo gui for a korean bbq surf and turf to go with the beef. also, where to find perilla leaves, and how the heck they shave their scallions into such fine strips.