Smokey Mt. Knife Works?

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
From something I've ordered I ended up getting a Smokey Mountain Knife Works Catalog.
Looks like some nice stuff in there.
I've never ordered from them.
Any thoughts on them overall. Are the prices great, good, or just okay?
How about quality of the products they sell?

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I've never heard of them but who knows. What kind of knives do they make? What kind of steel do they use, what kind of heat treating etc. All of that is what makes one knife better than another. Do they have a site?

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I had not heard of them either .... but I don't get out much. :D

Their catalog says:
The Worlds Largest Knife ShowPlace.

Taylor Brands, LLC and SMKW

They are having a contest and giving away a nice looking Dodge Truck.
There website is:
www.smokymountainknifeworks.com

joec

Gold Site Supporter
OK I took a look at the site. I actually own 1 of these http://www.eknifeworks.com/webapp/eCommerce/product.jsp?Mode=Cat&Cat=67&SKU=DBYDS03 though I got them on ebay about the same price. They are OK knives 440 stainless, go dull pretty quick and made in China. I got them to keep my wife away from my good knives until I could teach her the proper use of and the purpose for each knife. In my opinion you can get much better quality buy simply going to the hardware store and buying a couple of Old Hickory knives. Old Hickory are cheap, easy to sharpen use good steel (carbon) though soft but will actually work good and cut your food other than busting through it by brute force.

Locutus

www.knifeworks.com has a decent selcetion of Euro style kitchen knives, from the ecomonical to the expensive.

I doubt you'll get any bargains there, but they are good folks to do business with, in my experience. :thumb:

A. G. Russell also has a good selection from top to bottom. And A.G. Russell is a legend in the knife business.

www.agrussell.com

They also have a steel guide that is awesome.

Last edited:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I agree on that Ron. A G Russell is basically Shun knives which to me personally are an excellent choice for some knives just don't by a set as you will get knives you never will use which to me is a waste of money.

bigjim

Mess Cook
Super Site Supporter
Over the years, I've dealt with SMKW occassionally with good results. Their everyday prices are about average. Service good. They seem to sell more than a few closeouts. Overall, in muy experience what you get is as described, in a timely manner, and at a fair price. Their selection of kitchen knives is pretty good.

Rob Babcock

I've made several purchases from SMKW and have overall been satisfied, but as S.Shepherd says, you have to pay attention. I bought a Kanetsune there much cheaper than I've ever seen them elsewhere and got free shipping. But I bought 3 cheap Tennessee Big Stick hones and only one was usable. They were only $.99 with free shipping so I didn't feel too bad, but I think they do have unlabelled factory seconds sometimes.

Overall I think they're a good company. Order off the web seems terrible, though- three times I ordered that way and had to later call in to finish the transaction. Not an intuitive or well designed website. But sometimes they have deals that are unbeatable.

MikeStewart

HI Folks,

Smoky Mountain Knifeworks is the largest retailer of knives and knife accessories in the world.

They carry a very large quantity of items from totally cheap crap to very good stuff.

They usually have very good prices.

I have known Kevin Pipes--the owner-- for about 30 years and he is a totally stand up guy.

A.G. and Goldie Russell's Company is the largest Retailer of High Quality goods in the world.( I have Known them for 30 years too)

They are different from Kevin in that they only carry the Better stuff .

They actually have three divisions of their Company.--A.G. Russell Knives--that is the one you are talking about

Then--Russell's for Men--that is a very high End Catalog that has a selection of items that they feel have an appeal to Men.

The third is - The Cutting Edge-- That section of their Company deals in used Knives--Collectibles and Estate Acquisitions.

Knifeworks is also a great Company.

Roger started it a few years ago and he is a very aggressive seller of good knives.

His prices are very good and his service is top shelf.

You are talking about some of the Best People in the entire industry in this thread so please fell free to deal with them with the utmost confidence.

Mike