3 sticks butter, softened at room temp.

5 or 6 eggs at room temp.

3 cups sugar.

1 teaspoon lemon extract.

3 cups sifted flour.

1 cup Seven-Up.

Directions;

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

Grease a 10-inch tube pan with butter or shortening and dust with flour, or use a cooking spray designed exclusively for baking. Set aside.

In large mixer bowl, cream butter with electric mixture on medium speed until smooth, shiny and almost opague. Add sugar, one cup at a time, and continue beating until mixture is smooth, light and fluffy, scraping bowl periodically.

Add lemon extract, then add eggs, one at a time, beating thooroughly after each one.

Gradually add flour in small stages until it is all incorporated. Reduce mixer's speed to low. Slowly add Seven-Up. Mix well on low speed.

Pour prepared batter into prepared tube pan. Shake lightly to evenly distribute batter so that it is even on all sides of pan.

Move rack in oven to lower third. Bake for about 80 to 90 minutes until cake is a golden brown around the sides and bottom. When toothpick is inserted in the middle and comes out clean & dry with only a few crumbs on it, the cake should be done.

Cool cake on wire rack for 15 minutes. Remove cake from pan and continue cooling it on rack until just barely warm.

Enjoy! :readytoeat:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Oooooo....this sounds really good. I think I'd make a lemon glaze to drizzle over it. Thanks for posting the recipe Shermie! This will be great to make over the holidays!

Shermie

Site Supporter
Thanx, all!

One thing that I must advise you on;

And that is DO NOT use any leavening agents! The cake rises on egg power alone.

I once mistakingly used self-rising flour, and the cake was a complete disaster!!! It ran over in the oven and then it fell!! It was as heavy as a brick!

Had no choice but to throw it away and make another one the next day. All that butter, sugar, eggs and flour gone to waste!!! I was mad!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
How can one NOT like a cake with THREE sticks of butter???!!

Lee

Shermie

Site Supporter
Yeah, it's fattening, but it's better than using margerine. It won't taste the same.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Well, it's a pound cake that uses less than a pound of butter so I guess that makes it "light" pound cake :w00t:

Shermie

Site Supporter
Well, it's a pound cake that uses less than a pound of butter so I guess that makes it "light" pound cake :w00t:

Yeah, I DID once hear that a pound cake is made with a pound each of the ingredients.

And it is very buttery tasting. I've been making this same cake for years, ever since the late '70s.

Guess I'm old school. It wins me over every time!:eat1:

Shermie

Site Supporter
Here's what they look like. :wow::cooking:

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 552