Maida Heatter's 86-Proof Chocolate Cake

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Hmmm, the NY Times seems to be preventing us from copying and pasting.

Lee

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Copy link, paste in browser and go to NYT page. Then take photo of recipe. This is Maida Heatter's recipe. The copyright issue is why I did not post it originally. It is in Maida Heatter's Chocolate Cookbook

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
https://barbaragarneaukelley.com/tag/chocolate-cake-maida-heatter/

86-Proof Chocolate Cake

Make this cake in a fancy Bundt pan and serve without icing.

5 ounces (5 squares) unsweetened chocolate
2 cups sifted, all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup dry instant coffee or espresso
Boiling water
Cold water
1/2 cup Bourbon
1/2 pound (two sticks) sweet butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups granulated sugar
3 large eggs
Confectioners sugar for dusting

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. You need a 9-inch Bundt pan or one that with 10-cup capacity. (Melanie says even then there is too much batter and the cake will overflow, so reserve some batter for a mini cake as filling the pan too full will result in a mess.)
Hint: Use a sturdy Bundt pan. Some of the lightweight colorful ones will buckle and eventually warp and give you uneven cakes. That’s why I had to buy a new one this year.
Here’s the kicker: I confirmed with Melanie that this is really necessary and she says it is and it works! Butter the Bundt pan; make sure you get every crevice. Then dust it with dry bread crumbs. She buys the unseasoned ones from the store.

Melt the chocolate in a double boiler, set aside to cool.
Sift together the flour, baking soda and salt, set aside.

In a 2-1/2 cup measuring glass, dissolve the coffee in a bit of boiling water. Add cold water to the 1-1/2 cup line. Add the Bourbon and set aside.
Cream butter in a large bowl. Add vanilla and sugar and beat well. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until smooth after each addition. Add the chocolate and beat until smooth.

On low speed alternately add the sifted dry ingredients alternating with the liquid ingredients. Add liquids gradually while scraping the bowl. Beat until smooth. The mixture will be thin.
Pour batter into the prepared pan. Remember not to fill it full as according to Melanie it will overflow in your oven.
Bake for one hour and 10 or 15 minutes. Test by inserting a cake tester and when it comes out clean it is done.
Cool in the pan for about 15 minutes. Remove from pan and sprinkle the cake with a little bourbon and leave cake to cool. Before serving sprinkle with sifted confectioners’
sugar.

Attachments

• untitled.png
    untitled.png
    140.9 KB · Views: 551

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Thanks, she left out Optional additional bourbon to brush cake with and the powdered sugar to dust before serving.

If aged well, serving with vanilla ice cream is great.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
One must grease the pan with sweet butter and dry unseasoned bread crumbs very well or the cake may stick. It is tender.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Tasting Spoons is Maida Heatter's recipe as she wrote it. Can you believe she is 100 years old? I prize a pin she sold when she was a jewelry designer and a lovely letter she sent me in reply to one I sent to her. Every now and then I ask Nick Malgieri about her. She is close to him and he is very thoughtful.