Basic Ice Cream

AllenOK

I haven't made this in years. I need to make another batch to see if I have the ratio of milk, cream, and eggs correct. If you go with closer to equal amounts of milk and cream (or use half-and-half), and/or add more eggs, you will change the texture of the finished ice cream. My first attempt, about 9 years ago, actually gave me something close to gelato in texture.

The Mint Choc. Chip, Cookies and Cream, and Butter Brickle are great!

Basic Ice Cream
Yields: ~ 1 gal

6 c milk
1 pt cream
16 oz (2 c) sugar
2 whole eggs
1 T cornstarch

Standard custard method. Scald the milk. Sift sugar with cornstarch, then add eggs and mix until thoroughly combined. Temper egg/sugar mixture with hot mixture, then add egg/sugar mixture to hot. Return to heat, and bring to a boil (remember, we added cornstarch, so it won’t break)! Remove from heat, and chill overnight. Add flavorings where appropriate. Freeze according to ice cream maker directions.

Flavorings:

Vanilla: Add 1 T + 2 t vanilla to hot mixture.
Vanilla Bean: Cut one vanilla pod in half. Scrape seeds into milk mixture, adding the pods. Simmer briefly. Remove pods before tempering, place pods in sugar container to store.
Cookies-n-Cream: Add 32 crumbled Oreo’s to ice cream before hardening.
Mint Chocolate Chip: Add ¼ c + 2 T Crème de Menthe to the milk. Proceed as normal. Add 1 c miniature chocolate chips to ice cream before ripening.
Butter Brickle: Melt 4 – 6 vanilla caramel squares in a small bowl in microwave with a little of the hot custard at the same time. Stir to mix thoroughly. Add to the hot custard and mix well. Add 10 oz toffee crumbles before ripening.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
I like these recipes as a good standby, but love the ones with more cream in them than milk. Thank Stone Cold Creamery for that...