Rice steamer - nonstick or not? And size !

chocolate moose

Super Site Supporter
It hard to get all of the rice out of my 5 cup rice streamer so I've been using crock pot bags, which ds says isn't healthy. DD says that her good friend's non stick cooker also doesn't last too long, and that maybe a 3 cup would be a begtter investment over a 5 cup, especially if we end up replacing it every several years.

Anyone ?

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I had to rice cookers in the last 30 years with the first one dieing just last year. I now have a new one that is a bit larger than the first one I had by Wolfgang Puck. Now neither of mine where non stick and never had a problem with rice sticking with the cookers. I have had it stick a bit when I do it in a sauce pan because I'm just too lazy to set up the cooker.

Our first rice cooker was about 3 cups but the new one is 7 cup but also seconds with 3 additional levels of steamer capability. Both are easy to use and they still make the ones like the first one I had. I think they run about $15 under a bunch of brand names. The one on the left is a more current version of my old one but basically the same. The right side is our new one.

Attachments

• Aroma 3 cup rice cooker-steamer.jpg
    Aroma 3 cup rice cooker-steamer.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 140
  • Wolfgang Puck Stainless Steamer and Rice Cooker.jpg
    Wolfgang Puck Stainless Steamer and Rice Cooker.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 135

chocolate moose

Super Site Supporter
They both look really nice ... I'm just not sure what I will do with ours. I could ....

Continue to use it.
I could replace it.
I could chuck it & just make rice in the microwave.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I would go to a conventional sauce pan with a lid over a microwave. I never cared to the microwave rice though vegetables are good steamed in a microwave. With rice it is really knowing the type of rice and the amount of liquid to rice ratio.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Moose, there are some really fabulous instant rice products out there on the market, if you need rice right now.
Uncle Ben's rice packets are great.
90 seconds in the microwave and you have it.
You just have to knead the bag before you put it in.
Minute Rice has little individual serving cups for the microwave too.

This is just my way of doing it to make it a little less complicated, because I don't want another kitchen gadget sitting around. :)

rice1.jpg

rice2.jpg

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I've used the minute rice but not by the microwave method and opt for the stove top method.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I've used the minute rice but not by the microwave method and opt for the stove top method.
If I were cooking for more than myself Joe, I might go that way too.
It's just easier to keep some things fairly simple, and God knows how simple I am.:yum:

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
I have this one here: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Zojirushi-NS-ZCC18-10-Cup-Cooker-Premium/dp/B000A7NN4I/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1263873582&sr=8-13"]Rice Cooker[/ame]

I couldn't be happier with it. If you cook a lot of rice, then this is a great way to do it! They also have a 5-1/2 cup model, and some really fancy induction types too...

CharlieD

Ah the rice cooker, I've been wanting to get one for years. But I haven't. The only reason I would like to get one so I could cook the rice like the Chineese restaurants, but I cannot justify to buy one just for that.

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
Ah the rice cooker, I've been wanting to get one for years. But I haven't. The only reason I would like to get one so I could cook the rice like the Chineese restaurants, but I cannot justify to buy one just for that.

Well you could get this [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Rice-Cooker-Cookbook-Porridges/dp/1558322035/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1263918702&sr=8-1"]book[/ame] and find 250 recipes for other stuff! :thumb:

CharlieD

Thank you, but I am afraid it will seat on my shelf just like many other books I already have or just liek my slow cooker - untocuhed.

chocolate moose

Super Site Supporter
I got that book at the library and liked it so much that I bought it. and we aren't huge rice eaters.

I guess it won't hurt me to look around for a new steamer. I want silver, though, to match our kitchen, and bottom line is, we DO prefer the rice from the steamer, it's not that expensive of a gadget, and I do have room for it.

We don't care for minute rice and it's a lot more expensive.

Shermie

Site Supporter
I thought that there was a difference between a rice cooker, which I have, and a rice steamer. Isn't there?

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Not really Sermie. As near as I can tell when they have steamer in the name they sometimes will work for steaming other things like vegetables, fish etc. My first one was called a cooker and the new one a steamer but both work the same way though the new one does have the ability to steam other things easily as well.