Question: Ever smoke with Walnut?

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
So where do the peons obtain walnut chunks, Keltin? With my finger in the wind it sounds like it might combine well with hickory for ribs or pulled meat prep. I was thinking maybe some apple chunks too but then again the walnut would probably overpower it.

Walnut isn’t a wood that is typically sold for smoking, so you’ll need to have it “friended” to you.

My friend is really into wood working. He has the lathes, planers, and all the other tools to do it. He loves it. He’s making bowls, lamps, cabinets, even pens!! He’s got a talent for this. Great stuff!

As a wood enthusiast, he looks all over for stock, has it kiln dried, and goes to work. He starts with slabs or logs, and cuts them down to the item, and I get the scraps! Also, if something goes wrong, I get those too.

Here are pics of a cherry wood bowl that broke on the lathe. I’ll bust it into quarters and smoke with it. Next is a chunk of walnut that came off a slab that he was cutting down into a bowl shape.

So, find a wood worker and take their scraps!

You can also try eBay. I’ve seen several people selling hard to find woods there.

And most importantly, find a local cabinet shop that makes cabinets or other wood furniture and go talk to them. They’ll often give you their scraps or sell them on the cheap.

Attachments

• sc1.jpg
    sc1.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 34
  • sc2.jpg
    sc2.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 37
  • sc3.jpg
    sc3.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 34
  • sc4.jpg
    sc4.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 34

loboloco

Was this english walnut or black walnut? Would the difference in type make a difference in the smoking and flavor?