What's Cooking NCT Sunday June 1 - Saturday June 7, 2014?

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I have roast eye round (prime cut YUM), taters (mashed or baked), steamed baby spinach planned. Got to go shopping so dessert is a definite maybe. LOL

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
Tried something different today. My family love Chinese roasted duck with pancakes. So as I had a duck handy, decided to put in the slow cooker for about 8 hours on low. I didn't add any liquid as I felt the duck fat would render out (collected a nice bowl full for other uses). I then crisped the skin up in a hot oven and served with tortillas, cucumber batons, grated carrot and hoisin dipping sauce. It turn out great.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Eye round roast (prime cut YUM, was tender and juicy), baked taters with butter and sour cream (mixed with chives), steamed baby spinach, burgundy pan gravy.

K

Kimchee

Childhood favorite, decadence style...
Fried bologna, cheddar cheese, fried egg on local made pepperoni bread.
My wife is the sandwich queen!

Attachments

• BolognaSammich.jpg
    BolognaSammich.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 178

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
they make that here often, that pepperoni bread. u gotta look, tho u'll find someone that makes that.

Attachments

• dinner@Pope's.jpg
    dinner@Pope's.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Had meatless last night - cannellini bean/artichoke dip and some watermelon/feta salad

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
i'm hankering 4 cereal. cream-of-wheat or special-k/ almond milk.

i made a pouched curry, earlier, too.

LADawg

I searched the internet for Pepperoni Bread recipes and found several. Lot of reviews said that they used a tube of refrigerated French Bread to make this. Pepperoni Bread does look good and when I was at the grocery story today I bought the ingredients to make it.

Last edited:
K

Kimchee

This bread has really finely minced pepperoni in it. Also banana peppers. Really good!

Tonight was homemade Vietnamese Pho soup. Also found a local source for marrow bones and oxtail at a great price. No more mystery bones from the somewhat scary Vietnamese market! ;)

Attachments

• PhoBowlA.jpg
    PhoBowlA.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 155

Mountain man

Entree Cook
Gold Site Supporter
I pan fried some cube steaks and fried some shredded taters in a little butter to crisp them nicely. Had a nice salad with home made dressing also.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
my guy bought me a food junkie's dream-book--

'food lovers' guide to pittsburgh'
i know those restaurants/mkts. & know them so well. they got me craving so many foods. blake is being released (he was being operated on). to renew his oomph, i say we ought get reservations. or a primanti's sammich.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
cleaning my fridge, rather than kitchen-sink soup, i may put together a kitchen-sink salad, as a lunch. i've steak fer later on, tonite.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
We are both so tired we just threw a digorno pizza in the oven.

I have great pizza/sub shops on every corner in my area, and they deliver.

However, supermarket frozen pizza is one of my secret, guilty pleasures!

:mrgreen:

Lee

Embryodad

Tonight we had ( well Tina and GD had ) KFC chicken, I ate some krispy outsside crust, all crunchy and tasty and Bad for me.

I had 2 Double MacCheese burgers and I only ate one..

We've been eatinf all kinds of fast cooked stuff, and Itna's been doing the cooking lately.

I had some broblems with vision, and trying to get corrective lens for double vision. I lost control of my left eye! Son Of A Gun!...hahahah
I've been at dr's and for tests all this week.
BP is high...186 / 110, I'm on a change of meds to get it down.
Says I had a mini stroke. Had some MRI's today, and tomorrow more tests. Tey say it should reverse in like 12 weeks or so, and we are praying for that.

Other than that...everything is OK here. Yesterday Tina made braised pork steaks with onions and potatoes....Oh So Good!

I went for diabetic tests Thursday, and I am hoping I don't have Type 2. That would be like living on a different planet as far as FOOD we like goes.

Tina says I don't listen.....:twak: LOL

Time for my oatmeal regimen now b-4 bed. .... Got Bananas too!!..Yum!!

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Take care of yourself, Jimmy. Those BP numbers are scary.

Pan Seared Scallops over Saffron Rice:

SeaScallopsoverSaffronRice.jpg

With a little pan sauce of white wine, lemon juice, and frozen butter (It's so rich that you only need a little.):

PanSearedSeaScallopswithBrownButterSauce.jpg

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
Cooksie -

'plain me the saffron rice "how to's" - got rice, got saffron, got appetite....
sure looks good!
'
hmm, got frozen sea scallops as well - ding ding ding - this could become one of those fast / simple / easy summer din-dins.

Embryodad

Take care of yourself, Jimmy. Those BP numbers are scary.

Pan Seared Scallops over Saffron Rice:

SeaScallopsoverSaffronRice.jpg

With a little pan sauce of white wine, lemon juice, and frozen butter (It's so rich that you only need a little.):

PanSearedSeaScallopswithBrownButterSauce.jpg
Thanks cooksie...

The scallops are awesome looking. my favorite shellfish.

Embryodad

Today we stopped at a pizza place next to the ultrasound MRI place....had two slices pizza...great.

Tina is making crispy fried breaded thin sliced chicken breast today.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
oh, sheesh- thoughts & prayers, jimmy~

lee, we, too, have so many places to get pizza. now, 1 pub is sellin' pizza bread. on my former block, there were 4+ shops.

Mountain man

Entree Cook
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome to the low sodium/ low sugar world Jimmy. Get yourself some Mrs. Dash seasoning to replace salt. It ain't too bad and beats doing totally without.

Embryodad

Welcome to the low sodium/ low sugar world Jimmy. Get yourself some Mrs. Dash seasoning to replace salt. It ain't too bad and beats doing totally without.

Thanks Mountain man....

We have all the Mrs. Dash, and I like the original the best.

I actually only cook with sea salt but only to achieve the taste level above being flat.
Just two days on a increase in diuretic and another additional BP drug ( Lopressor 50 MG ).....my pressure readings are dropping.
I just took it at 11:30 PM, and it is 142 / 80.
I never could achieve that low a reading. Three days ago, I was running 186 / 110.
I'm gonna watch my diet and lose at least 20 Lbs. I weigh 250 now at 72 inches.
Instead of sandwiches and peanut butter and jelly for a snack before bed time....I am going back to oat meal (not cooked), with a little milk.
I already cut my meal (s) in half of what I normally would eat.
i.e.... two or three normal slices of pizza instead of a whole 16" pie by myself.
Now that my daughter has pigs on the farm....we have been eating a lot of bacon and ham. Plus...she has been supplying us with dozens of fresh eggs every week. We love eggs, but that has to stop, or at least be cut down. It's nothing for me to make a 5 egg omelet for myself.
My wife can only eat one egg,.... Maybe.

Mountain man

Entree Cook
Gold Site Supporter
Portion size helped me get down to about 202-205 and stay there usually. I did have a week where I jumped to 210-212 but the old lady doc fixed me right up and 5 days later I was back down. Fluid buildup is what I need to watch. Directly related to sodium levels in what I eat. Fast food or too much of a snack makes it jump up quick. I have been struggling to get my coumadin corrected since they have me taking double the dose of the cancer drug. They have me taking 2 1/2 times my normal warfarin(rat poison) and it is still low. My arms look like the wife beats me from blood spots under the skin....LOL:whistling:

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Chowderman, it's Mahatma Yellow Saffron Rice mix. It has msg in it, so it's not for everyone. Msg doesn't bother me, but I don't eat it very often. It sure tastes good.

Jimmy - 142/80, that's pretty darn good :clap:

Embryodad

Portion size helped me get down to about 202-205 and stay there usually. I did have a week where I jumped to 210-212 but the old lady doc fixed me right up and 5 days later I was back down. Fluid buildup is what I need to watch. Directly related to sodium levels in what I eat. Fast food or too much of a snack makes it jump up quick. I have been struggling to get my coumadin corrected since they have me taking double the dose of the cancer drug. They have me taking 2 1/2 times my normal warfarin(rat poison) and it is still low. My arms look like the wife beats me from blood spots under the skin....LOL:whistling:

Portion is the key....so true!

Dads doc said, eat what you normally eat, but cut it in half.
Dad lost weight.... 293# to 240# in 5 months.:applause:

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
after our second child DW was bemoaning the weight gain to her Dr. who advised that exercise is the best approach.

and the best exercise is pushing yourself away from the table.....

>>Mahatma Yellow Saffron Rice mix
no such brand in our market - did find Carolina "Yellow Rice"
the ingredient list read like the chem lab inventory, so I figger I'll look for how to do scratch.