Bought New All-in-one Printer.

Shermie

Site Supporter
over the weekend, I just bought a new all-in-one printer, which prints, scans and makes copies!

Still haven't mastered it yet, but it DOES work very well.:wow:

Attachments

• Canon All-in-one Printer..jpg
    Canon All-in-one Printer..jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 130
Just curious. Is it wireless, Shermie?

I bought an HP wireless w/ the same features, but the copier doesn't work. I've seen them selling on ebay for next to nothing now. Maybe many buyers had the same problems w/ HP's all-in-one wireless. If you're pleased, & the price is right, I may check yours out.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Just curious. Is it wireless, Shermie?

I bought an HP wireless w/ the same features, but the copier doesn't work. I've seen them selling on ebay for next to nothing now. Maybe many buyers had the same problems w/ HP's all-in-one wireless. If you're pleased, & the price is right, I may check yours out.

Yes it is. Forgot to mention that. But it'll only work that way if you have a wireless router, which I don't.

HP products stink as far as I'M concerned. I used to buy their products several years ago, but right after the one-year warranty expires, their printers and scanners quit on you. Don't buy them at all When I call the 800-number for tech support, they wanted $35 up front before they would help me!! I wasn't paying that!!

And the HP scanner wouldn't work for my laptop pc's because it became obselete and it needed new software, which HP wanted a whopping $100 for!!!! Wasn't paying THAT either!!! But a friend of mine bought a HP computer. He's had it for 2 years now, and he's had no problems with it at all.

I paid $58 plus tax for my new Canon at Walmart. I even bought extra inkjet cartridges for it so that I'll have another set on hand when the 2 that came with it are empty. So far, it is working very well!

Last edited:

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
>>SO FAR . . .

operative words of foreboding.

all of the "all in one"stuff" has a common issue: if anything in any one of the "functions" craps out, you're done, all finished, toasted to the max. printer / scanner / copier no work no more no matter what.

good luck!

Thanks, Shermie. You might check your modem. I didn't realize mine (AT&T) was an all-in-one? 2 wire router/modem. I wanted to go wireless, & saw it on QVC. HP would not trade it in for a New (same model) printer. Their other printers were more $. To make a long story short, I put the $ toward a new HP laptop (& kicked in more of my $). I've had the laptop about 6 months, & so far so good.

I don't recommend their all-in-one printer. I've worked around the copier defect by scanning, saving & printing. It's the long way around, but it works for now. Last time I looked, ebay is selling them new for $35. Wben the ink runs out, I'll think about your Canon. Thanks again.

Shermie

Site Supporter
You're welcome, CC!

The modem is from Comcast, and they told me that in order to get a wireless router from them, it would be more money on my monthly bill, which I'm not abaout to pay.

Single-unit printers are increasingly becoming harder to find, as all-in-one units seem to be on the rise. I hada a perfectly working Canon scanner which I took out of service for THIS machine.

The older Epson printer kept giving me trouble every blasted time that I went to use it! Anbd the blasted cartridges are way too expensive, costing me a whopping $80 a set!!! Five of them must be used in the unit, as it will NOT work without all of them in place! That's how they get you!! I was paying more for the cartridges than I paid for the machine itself, which it was also about $58!!!

But nowadays, the inkjet cartridges are much cheaper to buy for the newer machines, saving you money. When I put the next set in that I bought separately over the weekend, I will go buy more to have on hand. i dodn't ever want to be stuck without inkjet cartridges for the machine!

Chowderman, I just got the unit the other day. Are you expecting it to crap out soon? That is why I shyed away from HP. I don't like their printers or scanners any more.

Last edited:

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
You're welcome, CC!

The modem is from Comcast, and they told me that in order to get a wireless router from them, it would be more money on my monthly bill, which I'm not abaout to pay.

Single-unit printers are increasingly becoming harder to find, as all-in-one units seem to be on the rise. I hada a perfectly working Canon scanner which I took out of service for THIS machine.

The older Epson printer kept giving me trouble every blasted time that I went to use it! Anbd the blasted cartridges are way too expensive, costing me a whopping $80 a set!!! Five of them must be used in the unit, as it will NOT work without all of them in place! That's how they get you!! I was paying more for the cartridges than I paid for the machine itself, which it was also about $58!!!

But nowadays, the inkjet cartridges are much cheaper to buy for the newer machines, saving you money. When I put the next set in that I bought separately over the weekend, I will go buy more to have on hand. i dodn't ever want to be stuck without inkjet cartridges for the machine!

Chowderman, I just got the unit the other day. Are you expecting it to crap out soon? That is why I shyed away from HP. I don't like their printers or scanners any more.

the alll-in-one units crap out according t0 their own schedule.
considering the failure rate of printer/scanner/fax/copier, the combined crap out rate is rather high.

your mileage my vary, good luck with that.

renting anything from Comcast, or other ISP provider, is a big time rip off.
warranties / guarantees are utterly meaningless in financial terms. go and do the math.

Shermie

Site Supporter
They charge too much for cable, phone and Internet service as it is. But it is what it is.

And BTW, I DID want a printer-only unit, but Walmart was out of them.

Printers themselves usually crap out in about a year anyway. That is why it it best to get a machine that's made by a reliable company.

Guts

I've given up on color printers. The ink is ridiculous dries up before I use it. I have an HP Laser-jet 2727 NF fax, scan, copy two-sided copies address letters does all. If I get another color machine. It will be LaserJet no more inkjet stuff for me just too expensive. That machine will probably be just fine for you. Sherman. Congratulations. It'll probably do everything that you wanted too.

K

Kimchee

Sherm, you should be able to just pop down to Best Buy, pick up a wireless router and install it. The cable goes to your modem, then the wire from the modem goes to your router.... Comcast has no control over that.
Earthlink said the same thing, wanted $125 for a router, so I bought my own. That was like 8 years ago, nary a problem.
Just make sure your hardware is wireless ready, LOL!
(Disclaimer: I know nothing but what I know, so this info might be worth the paper it is printed on... ;) )

Shermie

Site Supporter
Thanx, Guts.

The ink cartridges for a leser-jet machine can be rather expensive as well. I had thought about getting one, and still might, but a B&W format machine.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Sherm, you should be able to just pop down to Best Buy, pick up a wireless router and install it. The cable goes to your modem, then the wire from the modem goes to your router.... Comcast has no control over that.
Earthlink said the same thing, wanted $125 for a router, so I bought my own. That was like 8 years ago, nary a problem.
Just make sure your hardware is wireless ready, LOL!
(Disclaimer: I know nothing but what I know, so this info might be worth the paper it is printed on... ;) )

Thanx for the advice!

I'll look into it someday soon.

goatherder

well I must be one of the lucky ones, I have an HP Photosmart 3210 All in One that has been a work horse for me. Can't remember how long I have had it,,,4 years, 6 years?? I use it daily, have scanned thousands of photos, made countless birthday and mothers' day cards. The ony draw back is the expense of the ink, and I go through the ink!! I'm thinking dh paid over $300. for it for Christmas for me one year. I do a lot of scanning of documents and recipes too! I am very happy with my vintage HP All in One.

Shermie

Site Supporter
well I must be one of the lucky ones, I have an HP Photosmart 3210 All in One that has been a work horse for me. Can't remember how long I have had it,,,4 years, 6 years?? I use it daily, have scanned thousands of photos, made countless birthday and mothers' day cards. The ony draw back is the expense of the ink, and I go through the ink!! I'm thinking dh paid over $300. for it for Christmas for me one year. I do a lot of scanning of documents and recipes too! I am very happy with my vintage HP All in One.

Lucky you!

Is it a laser-jet unit? Ink cartridges in any form can be pretty expensive!

The 2 for mine are only about $49 for the pair, as opposed to spending $80 for a set of five cartridges for the Epson printer! :thumb:

Guts

the last toner I bought was $35 in it does 3000 pages. Now I also have a HP photo printer with ink jet cartridges. They went dry before I had a chance to use them. I think I'm going to learn how to refill them myself. I know Costco well refill them for you or a moderate price. But to replace them all from the store, brand-new I think is about 50 bucks. I'm not sure what laser jet color toner costs but I think all in all the Laser Jet is a better value for the amount of pages you print in my humble opinion. The machines cost little more money or sometimes a lot more money but I've had plenty of being jet machines and I'm not going back to the after Laser Jet.

Kimchee nice disclaimer. I like it! I should put one of those in my signature..

Shermie

Site Supporter
the last toner I bought was $35 in it does 3000 pages. Now I also have a HP photo printer with ink jet cartridges. They went dry before I had a chance to use them. I think I'm going to learn how to refill them myself. I know Costco well refill them for you or a moderate price. But to replace them all from the store, brand-new I think is about 50 bucks. I'm not sure what laser jet color toner costs but I think all in all the Laser Jet is a better value for the amount of pages you print in my humble opinion. The machines cost little more money or sometimes a lot more money but I've had plenty of being jet machines and I'm not going back to the after Laser Jet.

Kimchee nice disclaimer. I like it! I should put one of those in my signature..

Be very careful of the refill scam!

I was once told that refills aren't as good as the genuine replacements that you get in the stores. But it might be the ridiculous expense of them that might be driving some to resort to refilling the cartridges themselves.

bigjim

Mess Cook
Super Site Supporter
If I used a lot of ink, I would look into a bulk ink system. They are available for many printers. The cost of the system is less than 100 bucks, and ink in gallons is around $50/gallon. My son uses a this system in his screen printing business, and it works well.

Shermie

Site Supporter
The mistake that I made with the older printer is making full-size pics of people, instead of printing them in the 4x6 size. Doing that, it used up and stronomical amount of ink!!

Two cartridges of black ink are left in the machince, but it won't print without the color ones in place, forcing me to have to buy them just to be able to print in black & white!!! I don't like that!

goatherder

Lucky you!

Is it a laser-jet unit? Ink cartridges in any form can be pretty expensive!

The 2 for mine are only about $49 for the pair, as opposed to spending $80 for a set of five cartridges for the Epson printer! :thumb:

LOL, I honestly don't know, but I suspect it is not. I also have another HP printer only, a DeskJet 1120C, and I am guessing that one is an ink jet because of the "Jet" in the name of the printer.

Thanks bigjim, I'll look into that.

goatherder

Well, I was wrong! I was sniffing around bulk ink and found this..

HP Photosmart 3210 Printer Review

The HP Photosmart 3210 All-in-One is a multifunction inkjet that provides high quality prints for the home and small office with an emphasis on photo printing. PC and MAC compatible; the Photosmart 3210 scans and copies at an impressive 48 bit, 4,800 max optimized dpi resolution. The color printing is at a max 4,800 x 1,200 optimized dpi while black and white is at 1,200 x 1,200 dpi. The overall quality of text, graphic, and especially photo printing are quite impressive with some of the best results from a multifunction printer.

K

Kimchee

beware using refilled cartridges in HP printers... they apparently have added software to defeat them.. mine reports "a problem with the cartridge", and I can't find a workaround.
GRRRRRRR!

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
i have 1 though i don't have the fax function on, & the thing was in the entertainment room, as exxie was borrowing it 4 his puter & i ain't hooking that thing to my 'puter myself- that's jake's job

Shermie

Site Supporter
i have 1 though i don't have the fax function on, & the thing was in the entertainment room, as exxie was borrowing it 4 his puter & i ain't hooking that thing to my 'puter myself- that's jake's job

I've thought about getting one with that feature, but it's more money, not only for the printer, but for the phone service provider as well!! :sorry:

Shermie

Site Supporter
I'm sworry that things are the way that they are. They all want more money for stuff!!

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I have a upper end Cannon and like it a lot. it does everything but fax, and that is okay with me. It does all the other things very well, especially with photos and slides. One big issue to me was that i wanted to print a document that only needed black. No image, no other color to it and the dern thing would not print because the yellow print cartridge was out of ink. :mad: :angry: No reason for a printer to be programed like that but cannon did just that. Arrrrgg

Shermie

Site Supporter
I have a upper end Cannon and like it a lot. it does everything but fax, and that is okay with me. It does all the other things very well, especially with photos and slides. One big issue to me was that i wanted to print a document that only needed black. No image, no other color to it and the dern thing would not print because the yellow print cartridge was out of ink. :mad: :angry: No reason for a printer to be programed like that but cannon did just that. Arrrrgg

Same thing happened to me with the Epson.

The inkjet cartridges were way too damn expensive and the machine won't print without all 5 cartridges in place, forcing you to buy and keep ALL 5 of the cartriges in place!!

What a ripoff!! What stark-raving idiocy!!! :excl:

Shermie

Site Supporter
Yeah, the Canon uses only 2 cartridges - color & black, and they are reasonably priced. No more being forced to pay $80 for a set of replacement cartridges!!

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I've had several over the years. The office we use a Brothers MFC 440CN and I have an Epson on my personal computer. Both are all in ones and both work well for our needs. I'm thinking about a canon as a possible replacement as I've always had good luck with their products. I have a canon EOS camera now as well as an old scanner that still works well though I don't use it any more.