Congress Moves to End Loud TV Ads.

Shermie

Site Supporter
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commercial_Advertisement_Loudness_Mitigation_Act

Congress is one step closer to stopping those annoying loud TV commercials that have been clogging the airwaves durring the last several years!

People have complained immensely that it's not right for them to be suddenly startled by TV commercials automatically blasting up the volume level from normally set volumes that they've been comfortable with.

I've gone through this crap as well. I'd get suddendly shaken out of a nap or a sound sleep because of a TV commercial blasting up the volume. It is so atrociously annoying and makes me furious!! :furious:

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕🌎🦋
Gold Site Supporter
Thank God for that!
I'm with you Shermie, nothing more annoying than a screaming ad that suddenly comes on during a nice relaxing program.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Agreed!

And also, that same crap happens online when you want to view a vid!!

But at least there is a volume control level on most so that you don't get startled suddenly.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕🌎🦋
Gold Site Supporter
LOL!
I clicked on a video last night and that cotton commercial was pretty loud.

THE TOUCH, THE FEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEL... ack!

Shermie

Site Supporter
Either they must think that people are deaf, or they are trying to target the hearing impaired!

In both cases, they are not making matters any better.

There IS however, a device that has been installed in TV's for years - the closed caption device. This would help take care of and stop those annoying loud ads from blasting us out, because you can set the volume to low levels and when an ad is shown, the closed captioning will let you know what is being said!

Those loud commercials are part of what is now called noise polution. Loud music in vehicles and clubs, those are also noise polution, as well as planes with old loud jet engines!

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
Either they must think that people are deaf, or they are trying to target the hearing impaired!

ME: deaf people read lips or use closed captioning, doesnt matter how loud you play it,its not going to help them hear..my brother is almost completely deaf and my uncle is deaf.

they do it to get your attention..guess what? it worked...it woke you up and your talking about it now...

Those loud commercials are part of what is now called noise polution. Loud music in vehicles and clubs, those are also noise polution, as well as planes with old loud jet engines!

ME: they have this handy button on your remote control..its called the mute button...mute is your friend....lol

i cant beleive this actually went to congress though..a million other important problems in the country & controlling the volume levels of commercials is the one that comes up..come on now, they make a remote control with volume up and down buttons and mute buttons.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
This is one of the few items on their agenda that I would support, but I also agree with BAMS there are so many more important issues facing our nation.

bigjim

Mess Cook
Super Site Supporter
i cant beleive this actually went to congress though..a million other important problems in the country & controlling the volume levels of commercials is the one that comes up..come on now, they make a remote control with volume up and down buttons and mute buttons.
Totally agree. It is the government's job to turn down your TV when you take a nap?
I use the change channel, volume, mute, or off button when the TV is too loud.

Some of the statements by those sponsoring this bill. It passed by a voice vote, which means that none of them wanted to go on record on this bill.

To those who might suggest the solution to blaring ads is the mute button, Rep. Lee Terry (R-Neb.) asked what happens if you can't find the remote.
"How many times a night does this scenario play out? You're on your couch; you're watching a nice program … and the commercial comes on and it's really loud," he said this week. "Your spouse in the other room, with her impatient voice, says, 'Turn that down,' but you can't find the remote."
Terry noted that several of his colleagues had said that more government regulation was not needed.
"But for that living room on that night, it was sure helpful to restore calm," Terry said.

BTW: The reference to CALM stands for Commercial Advertisement Loudness Mitigation.

At least now congress can get on to lesser issues like fighting the wars, fixing the economy, etc.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Seems a dumb thing to go to Congress. Probably some money to be made here since a lot of TVs now are coming equipped with Smart Volume that automatically adjusts the volume of the program to the level you select. So if you pick 24 for volume and the level is lower, it amplifies it, if it is higher, it attenuates it.

They even make stand alone boxes that will do the same for older TVs.

http://www.smarthome.com/7848T/Terk-VR-1-TV-Volume-Regulator/p.aspx

I wonder if the guys that pushed this into Congress have investments in Smart Volume technology???? Hmmmmm…….

bigjim

Mess Cook
Super Site Supporter
Seems a dumb thing to go to Congress. Probably some money to be made here since a lot of TVs now are coming equipped with Smart Volume that automatically adjusts the volume of the program to the level you select. So if you pick 24 for volume and the level is lower, it amplifies it, if it is higher, it attenuates it.

They even make stand alone boxes that will do the same for older TVs.

http://www.smarthome.com/7848T/Terk-VR-1-TV-Volume-Regulator/p.aspx

I wonder if the guys that pushed this into Congress have investments in Smart Volume technology???? Hmmmmm…….
I can't see how this bill will generate a lot of outside revenue as it will require networks to tone down the volume on commercials. something that is easy to do. If they can turn the volume up, they can turn it down

It will require, however, a new Department of Loudness Control and avenue to controlling other annoyances on the airwaves (and the internet), such as Fox and MSNBC, already suggested, and other venues which disagree with someones position.

Once again, don't like it, don't listen.

Personally, I think this is already covered by the first amendment.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕🌎🦋
Gold Site Supporter
Well it's true that remote controls have mute/volume buttons and some tellies will have the smart feature soon (and that'll be a cool thing)..
My reply was simply because I agreed with Sherm's getting annoyed by loud commercials.
Actually I agree that there are far more important matters for congress to attend to.
Many.

Shermie

Site Supporter

Attachments

• Silicon glove..jpg
    Silicon glove..jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 111

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Keltin, doesn't THIS glove do the same thing?

I have one.

I don't know, what is that? Got a link? Does it say if it's safe with open flames on the grill? I don't care which one I get, but I could definitely see having a use for a glove that can do this!

K

Kimchee

So, next on Congress's list of Fiddling should be FINE PRINT IN TV COMMERCIALS.

The law should state that any "fine print" in a commercial has to be at least in a large,
readable font, and should be required to be displayed long enough for the average 12th
grade student to read it. Personally, I think it should be banned and any disclaimers be
verbal, because blind people can't read the fine print.

that's my pet peeve.

Oh, wait... Can they please make a law limiting in-show screen advertising to 1/8th of
the total screen, no animation and no longer than 7 seconds?
Thank you.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Well, it CAN be used for retreiving things from boiling water such as eggs and it can be used to take stuff out of the oven.

I've also seen the Ove Glove, which is supposed to do the same thing.

But we can all thank THIS guy (below) for loud TV commercials! If he didn't start it, he certainly add his 2 cents in in a very big way because he yelled loudly in his commercials.

He used to irritate me as well.

Attachments

• 437px-Billy_Mays_Portrait_Cropped.jpg
    437px-Billy_Mays_Portrait_Cropped.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 110

UncleRalph

Quo Fata Ferunt
Site Supporter
It's good to know that all the other troubles have been solved, and we can now focus on real issues.