Contemplating getting a new Turntable.

Shermie

Site Supporter
I'm considering getting a new turntable to replace the pesent one in use!

It is starting to act up now. It is a Technics SL-BD22.

The one that I'm strongly leaning toward is the Audio Technica ATLP120 Professional Turntable (pitured below).

It is designed for professional non-stop DJ use, but it can also be used as an ordinary turntable at home for your existing home stereo or home theater receiver, which I plan to use it for.

I want a turntable that is all business, rugged and reliable, and this one looks like it will do the job very nicely!! One that will last for many years and won't have to replace for a long, long, long time!

Does anyone own this unit, and if you do, do you like its performance and reliability? Have you had it for a while, also?

Here is where I saw it;

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002S1CJ2Q/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_d0_g23_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1BSQWM4MBYZXF69RT65E&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846[/ame]

Attachments

• Turntable.jpg
    Turntable.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I'll be honest with you Shermie, I didn't think they where still being made. I don't know why other than I've not see a turntable or reel to reel tape recorder now in a good 10 years.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Reel-to-reels were phased out in the late '60s or early '70s, unless they were brought back.

Today, like Boeing always says of their long-range wide-bodied jetliners; Smaller is better. Size matters in the case of audio entertainment.

First, there was the 8-track tape player (I owned a couple of these), then there was the small audio cassette / recoders (I own a duel-deck Sony unit).

Then, along came the CD, which supposedly replaced the vinyl LP's, 2-inch singles and 45's. Supposedly.

Then, the CD's and their players replaced the movies on VHS tapes, but VCR's are still being made.

Then along comes the i-pad, which made listening to music on the go much easier. Then, cellular phones were modified to include the MP-3 format, which also allowed consumers to download music off the Web and put it into the cell phones

And yes, so are turntables still being made. At one time, there was a decline in the need for them by consumers. There were fewer co's that made them.

Then it was announced that vinyl LP's were making a comeback and had went back into production.

Amazon.com has a whole slew of LP's & turntables.

I STILL have a mad collection of LP's that I've owned and collested ever since the '60s. They are collector's items, no doubt. I still listen to them. Brings back fond memories of the years when they came out, and the disco era as well!!

Last edited:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I wasn't even aware so see how little I pay attention. I had a Pioneer reel to reel and converted all my albums to it, later to cassette then lost them completely. Now everything is on CD/DVD but to be honest my hearing is so bad today I don't hear much difference any more.

I was in high school when 4 track tapes came out for cars. My car at that time had a tube type radio as solid state was only about 8 years old. Junior high they came out with the little solid state radios. The RCA TV I grew up with that my grandmother watched till the day she died had 3 record players because they didn't know how to change the speed on one yet. It had about a 12-13" black and white screen. The radio was also huge and covered AM, marine band and citizens bands.

Shermie

Site Supporter
My mom, in the mid '60s, had an Olympic console stereo that stood on the floor. And it was all wood. Out neighbor up over us, she had a Magnavox console stereo.

My dad had a '68 Mercury Couger that had an 8-track tape player and a tubed radio. I also had a console stereo (Delmonico)

One of my older brothers had an Olympic tubed TV. I got one sometime later, as did our mom. She was the first one to get a color TV. They were 18-inch screens then.

My first record player was a Columbia model, where the record played folded up into the cabinet with two side-mounted hindged detatchable speakers. Then I graduated to my first stereo component system! Over the years, I strived for more power in terms of watts per channel! My present receiver has about 120 watts per channel.

Today, I STILL have a stereo system, but it is in the Home Theater format. In '04, I've added a surround sound system, which today, is also called Home Theature sound. It features 5 small satilite speakers, a center speaker and an 8-inch subwoofer, which has awesome floor-shaking bass!!

The early '90s was when TV and stereo were married into one when surround sound came out. My whole system was made by Technics, but they have since gone out of business and have stopped making stereo components. I still have the main speakers, equalizer and turntable made by them.

The Technics receiver had started acting up. Coudn't use it any more at all because the overload protection circuit kept on kicking in, knocking out the audio. Got a Sony to replace it.

Last edited: