Electronics Experts - Is This a Good Deal?

Your 'input' is appreciated.

VIORE 42"Class Plasma 720p 600Hz HDTV, $378 - free shipping

The Viore 42" 720p 600Hz plasma HDTV has a 1024 x 768 resolution for an excellent picture. Connect your PC to your TV via the VGA port. You get great sound with the built-in speakers.

Note: You must have a source of HD programming in order to take full advantage of the 42" Viore plasma HDTV. Contact your local cable or satellite TV provider for details on how to upgrade.

VIORE 42" Plasma HDTV 720p 600Hz, PD42VH80:
  • 16:9 plasma panel
    With a 1024 x 768 Full HD resolution
  • Wide 160-degree vertical and 160-degree horizontal angles
    See a clear picture from anywhere in the room
  • Built in ATSC digital/NTSC analog tuner
    Watch conventional and digital broadcasts, including HDTV programs where available on the Viore 42" Plasma HDTV
  • 1,000,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio
  • HDMI Inputs: 3
    Enjoy a superior HD experience with HDMI one cable experience
  • VGA port
    Connect your PC to the 42" Viore plasma HDTV
  • 42"screen measured diagonally from corner to corner
Specifications

Brightnesss 1500 cd/m2 Response Time: 8 ms Remote Included: Yes Resolution: 1024 x 768 Ships In Original Packaging: Yes Tv Definition: HDTV Tv Technology: Plasma Model No.:pD42VH80Shipping Weight (in pounds):62.2 Product in Inches (L x W x H):41.5 x 11.8 x 30.0 Assembled in Country of Origin:USA and/or ImportedOrigin of Components:USA and/or Imported

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
yeah, that is a good deal as long as you are aware of a few things. Plasma's have great darks, very sharp colors. The price for this is they burn out sooner. Some say in 5 years. An LCD TV of the same caliber would last double or triple that time according to posts I've seen on other forums. (I did my flat screen shopping earlier this year).
720p is sharp. A very good picture and an improvement over older TV formats, but most new ones are now 1080p. These have an even sharper picture. Both are good, but the 1080p is always a little more expensive.

I ended up buying LCD, knowing that LED TV's use less power (and might have even longer life), and because I was leery of the even shorter life span of a plasma I could have bought for less money.

So CC, you see it's not an easy yes or no answer ...it's all relative to what you want to spend and what you expect out of the TV (how long you want it to last and do you want to keep up with the jones on 1080p or would 720p suffice as that is a very good picture).

I have an lcd (about 22") - only because, I had to go digital, or no pic. It is a little small, & thought I might upgrade & go a little larger - if the price was right. I like the lcd, & don't pay for the cc's box, as my bill is already too high (for basic & extended - no movie channels etc.) Wondering, too, can I view HD w/o a box. Didn't know about the lifespan of plasma, good to know. Thanks Doc.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
If you live in a large metro area, many of the TV stations now transmit HD. With any of these new digital TV's you should be able to receive HD without the box.
Plus DVD's / Blue Ray are HD. Netflix is also a good way to get HD content cheap. 8 bucks a month gets you unlimited movies and TV shows you get real time over your Wii or other gaming device or blueray player.

SilverSage

Resident Crone
I've had a Samsung 42" plasma, for 8 years this Christmas, and the picture is still great.
I also have a Samsung 40" LCD that is 3 years old. That picture is also great.

Just a couple of bits of info, in case either are important to you.... The plasma is very heavy compared to the LCD, heavy and difficult to lift/move. If you are moving it, the plasma must remain upright, while the LCD can be laid down.