Black/silkie chicken

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
The meat is black. It came with all its parts, which were cut off and are cooking for some stock to use as part of braising liquid. Recipe to follow as I'm making it up as I go. It is a bit smaller than a cornish hen.

Attachments

• 2019-08-16 14.45.49.jpg
    2019-08-16 14.45.49.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 210

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
For 2

1 black Silkie chicken, head, neck and feet removed and reserved
1 stalk lemongrass
2 inch piece of ginger root
2 large garlic cloves
1/4 tsp Chinese 5 spice powder
One 14 oz canned quality coconut milk, cream spooned off top and reserved
Salt and pepper

Remove backbone from chicken, and place it, head, neck, and feet in a saucepan (you can add a mirepoix if you wish). Add 4 cups water and simmer for around 20-30 minutes.

Meanwhile, remove woody outer leaves from lemongrass and trim top and bottom hard parts. Using back of chef's knife break up lemongrass stalk. Peel garlic and smash cloves. Cut ginger into 3 coins and smash.

Strain stock into another pan and discard solids. Rinse out large saucepan. Add 2-1/2 cups of stock back into pan, plus vegetables above, the 1/4 tsp of 5 spice, and the remaining coconut milk in the can, plus a good pinch of salt. Open chicken (like you are spatchcocking) and place in pan. Cover and LOW simmer for 2-3 hours until tender.

Carefully remove chicken from liquid, blot dry. Strain braising liquid and discard solids. Simmer to thicken if needed, add the reserved coconut cream, let warm through, taste, adjust seasoning if needed.

We'll be having forbidden rice with this plus something else I'm also dreaming up.

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
The cooking time should be kept at 2 hours, maybe even a bit less. It was literally falling apart at 2.5 hours. Had to take it out with a large spatula.

The other side was a dragon fruit salad with lime juice, green onions and Fresno chiles.

It was pretty good, but considering the cost of the silkie, think we'll stick with regular chicken.

Attachments

• 2019-08-16 18.37.44.jpg
    2019-08-16 18.37.44.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 195

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Whoa, med! You and Craig are really adventurous and fearless! Thanks for sharing the recipe and pics!

Why is the chicken black?

Lee

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
The meat is normally black. Look them up, they are quite beautiful for chickens and apparently make really good pets.

Tasted like an older rooster or hen, like was originally used for coq au vin; thus, the braise.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Coincidentally, I just saw a black silkie chicken (alive) on TV yesterday. And, yes, she was beautiful!

Lee