Chicken Tortilla Soup

AllenOK

We make this at work. It's unbelievably good! Back when we first started making it, we would make 4 gallons, on Friday. By Saturday lunch, we were sold out. Folks would be coming in to buy it by the quart!

FWIW, you can omit the poultry seasoning, and substitute 1 t each of cumin and coriander. I have a tip at the bottom of the recipe about using leftover smoked chicken. TRUST ME, IT'S WORTH IT!

Chicken Tortilla Soup
Yields: ~ 1 gal

2 T olive oil
1 Red bell pepper, julienned
1 Green bell pepper, julienned
1 c yellow onion, julienned
15 oz can tomato sauce
1 T + 1 t chili powder
2 t curry
2 t poultry seasoning
2 t powdered garlic
¾ t cayenne
2 ½ t salt
¼ c cilantro, chopped
1 chicken, cooked, picked, and rough chopped
1 qt Chicken stock
1 c white wine
Garnishes:
4 flour tortillas, cut into strips and deep fried
chopped green onions
grated cheddar cheese
sour cream

In a large, heavy-bottomed soup pot, sauté the bell peppers, and onions in the olive oil. Add the tomatoes with the chili powder, curry, poultry seasoning, garlic, cayenne, salt, and cilantro. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes. The mixture may stick to the bottom of the pan. Scrape this up, as it will add to the color and flavor of the soup. Deglaze the pan with the white wine, stirring and scraping as much of the brown fond up as you can, then add the chicken stock and chicken. Simmer until flavors marry, about 30 minutes. Check for the seasoning, then garnish and serve.
NOTES: You may substitute one smoked chicken, picked and rough chopped, for the cooked chicken. If you don’t have access to smoked chicken, you can get a similar result by omitting the cayenne, and using about 1 t of chipotle puree.

AllenOK

*BUMP

Did this for dinner last night. Yes, I subbed out the poultry seasoning for what's listed, and, yes, I used smoked chicken.

PeppA LOVED it!

AllenOK

Jim, I kid you not, this soup is an absolute knock-out! Be sure to make it, and have leftovers for other folks to try. You might have to make a double batch!

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
Jim, I kid you not, this soup is an absolute knock-out! Be sure to make it, and have leftovers for other folks to try. You might have to make a double batch!

I never have leftovers. If I can't eat it all what's left is are hidden behind the beer in the garage refrigerator!

AllenOK

Sure can! In fact, you can even save a step, and use corn tortilla chips, instead of cutting and frying your own from corn tortillas.