NCT Member Spotlight: SilverSage

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
SilverSage in the Spotlight

Tell us a little about yourself - your family or household, kids, pets, occupation, etc.

I've been married twice. Some people are just slow learners! In the mid-1980's I swore I'd never do it again, and I haven't. Been living with my current partner for 20 years, and it works real well that way. Now we're just getting older and comfortable, and I think maybe this relationship will "take".

We have 2 dogs; a 13 year old diabetic mutt, and a 5 month old puppy. We are currently deeply involved in house training. We've had as many as 4 at once, but lost 2 in the past year. I think in the future, we'll stick to 2.

No kids - no grandkids. Every time I got the urge to be a mom, I called a brother and 'rented' a kid for a week or so. It got that silliness right out of my system. Now when I go into a restaurant, I always ask for the 'No Children Section'.

I have an undergrad degree in economics, with a minor in finance. My graduate work was in manufacturing processes. I have a long career in business, including several years of owning my own business.

Now I just want to open a sandwich shop or bistro, or bakery, or cafe, or....... (my father is rolling over in his grave).

What part of the world do you live in?

Right now, I'm on the Gulf Coast of Florida, between Tampa and Sarasota. However, I've lived in 7 states, 1 Canadian province, and had 34 different addresses in my life.

How did you find the NCT community?

Google was my friend. When the bruhaha happened at the Other Place, I ran a Google search to find out where ya'll had gone.

How and why did you choose your Username? What does it mean?

Silver - my hair; Sage - old & wise . Even as a kid, I was always the "Grownup in the Room".

It's actually a plant that grows out west, and when I was living in NC and working in textiles, it was one of standard colors for a line of fabrics. I liked the sound of it.

Give us 5 words that describe you.

Honest, calm, logical, confident, controlling (yes, I admit it!)

Tell us one thing about yourself that people would be surprised to know.

I belong to both Mensa and Intertel, but I'm really good with power tools!

How and at what age did you start cooking?

I was 10 when my mom got sick. She died when I was 13. As the oldest of 5 kids, that stuff just all fell to me. I learned to cook, to balance the checkbook and pay the bills, do the laundry, and grocery shop.

My dad would eat out in fancy restaurants, an ask the chefs for recipes and spice mixes. He'd bring them home to me and I'd experiment. Often, it actually worked!

By the time I was a young adult, I wanted to REALLY learn to cook. I got an early edition of Julia's Mastering the Art of French Cooking, and proceeded to study. most of my basic techniques come straight out of the book.

I've been cooking a very long time, (since the 1950's) but I still keep learning.

Do you have a signature dish or one that you make especially well?

I get requests for my Paella, duck breast, and my Coq au Vin. But I think my desserts are the best.

What is your favorite spice?

Spice - pepper
Herb - basil

What is your favorite restaurant meal?

There's a restaurant in Sarasota called Zoria's. They have a wonderful dish with sauteed antelope, topped with seared fois gras, and served with a red wine/demiglace reduction sauce. It's fabulous! I've ordered it several times.

What would your last meal be if you could choose anything at all?

Without a doubt, lobster tail.

If you could host a dinner party with 6 well-known guests, living or dead, who would they be and what would you serve?

Aristotle, Leonardo DaVinci, Galileo, Benjamin Franklin, Thomas Jefferson, Albert Einstein.

I think I'd do something very traditional like a beef borguignon.

If you were going to be stranded on an isolated island for a year, what 6 foods would you want to have to readily available?

Assuming that since I'm on an island, I could catch seafood, I'd want to have butter, lemons, cream, cheese, wine and of course, VODKA!

Who would you most like to prepare a meal for and why. What would you serve?

Julia Child. I really learned from her and I'd love to show how much her books meant to me.

She always said her favorite birthday dinner was duck with parsnips. so I'd do my version of Seared Duck Breast with a dried cherry reduction sauce, and a creamed puree of parsnip.

Dessert would have to be my maple walnut torte.

Who would you most like to have prepare a meal for you?

Thomas Keller or Alain Ducasse.

100 years from now, how would you like to be remembered?

I'd hope I never lose my idealism from the 1960's. I'd like to be remembered as making the world just a little better in some small way.

Anything else you'd like to tell us about yourself?

You now know more about me than anyone outside my immediate family! There is no more to tell.

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
Good one, lovely hearing about you. Love the rent a kid idea. Maybe I wouldn't have had my two then!!

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Very good and now I know you are a woman. I'm never sure with some of the handles. :yum:

Your guest list was close to mine also.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
How cool! I just know your bistro would be a giant hit. Go for it :). We would surely eat there if it were closer to home. I show your pic's to my hubby all the time, and we drool together :mrgreen:.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Great spotlight SS. Awesome. What an interesting group of dinner party guests. That group would sure be interesting. Heck I haven't even heard of Intertel, but Mensa? Wow, I'm very impressed (and a little jealous)!!!!! Congrats to you!!!!!!

Thanks for sharing with all of us. :thumb: :clap: :clap: :tiphat:

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Your guest list was close to mine also.

Joe, I noticed that, but the big difference was these two..... I've already had the pleasure.

Attachments

• nov 9 014.jpg
    nov 9 014.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 230

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Thank you so much for your honest frankness. And thank you for the peek inside. So very beautiful.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Another great Spotlight, SS!

You and I have some things in common (Mensa is not one of them, LOL!) in our backgrounds - I've always been an "old soul", too.

There are "no children sections" in restaurants???? Superlative idea!

Lee

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Joe, I noticed that, but the big difference was these two..... I've already had the pleasure.

I got the feeling they would be a whoot to have as dinner guests, especially based on their ability to laugh at themselves. My only experience with government officials was during the Reagan years and I sure wasn't a fan.

Lefty

Yank
Wow, mensa. Now I feel I have to do a spell check more often on my posts. Thanks for the spotlight, you did a wonderful job. If you want a partner in the sandwich shop idea I am game. I want to open a sandwich shop so bad.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Great spotlight - interesting life experience. - Mensa Wow!!

What Buzz said about spell check.

Andy

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Thanks, Silversage. It is nice to get to know you better. I always have a soft spot for someone who enjoys baking.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Pure class!
Exactly what I was thinking, Sass! Thanks so much for your spotlight, SilverSage. You are an amazing woman. I looked up Intertel and it's even more exclusive than Mensa - the top 1%! Brains, beauty and a gourmet cook to boot!

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Exactly what I was thinking, Sass! Thanks so much for your spotlight, SilverSage. You are an amazing woman. I looked up Intertel and it's even more exclusive than Mensa - the top 1%! Brains, beauty and a gourmet cook to boot!
i'm intimidated!! LOL :respect:

Bilby

Nice to get to know you better, SilverSage.

Never needed to rent a kid. Just stick my head out the front door and it all comes home...

GotGarlic

Very interesting, SS. We borrow teenagers, aka exchange students - they're already potty-trained and don't need a baby-sitter! :wink: