Buckytom's Veal and Peppers (with pictures)

buckytom

Grill Master
yay for me. i get to post the very first veal recipe here at nct!!

ok, so, bear with me on the pictures. it's one of the first times i've taken pictures of the steps involved in making a dish. and i ain't no ansel adams.

this dish is one of my all time favourites. serve it with pasta, and a healthy shaving of locatelli cheese.

ingredients:

4 lbs. round bone veal chops, cut into cubes and seasoned with kosher salt and pepper
3 large green peppers, cut into large chunks
1 large spanish onion, cut into large chunks
1 head of garlic, cloves sliced
2 (28 oz) cans of whole tomatoes
3/4 tbsp dried oregano
1 tbsp dried basil
1 tbsp dried parsley
salt and pepper
olive oil

directions:

cut the round bone veal chops into large cubes, removing any thick silver skin and excessive fat. season well with freshly cracked black pepper and kosher salt.

img2910b.jpg

next, brown about half of the meat in olive oil, being careful not to overcrowd the pan. this was pushing it, so i cranked the heat up as high as it would go.

img2912.jpg
img2921.jpg

while the meat is browning, empty 2 large cans of whole or chopped tomatoes, crushing well by hand into a 6 quart stock pot. i used 1 can of cento san marzano whole tomatoes, and 1 can of muir glen fire roasted chopped tomatoes.

img2930.jpg

when it's got good color, add the first batch of meat to the tomatoes, and brown the second batch.

img2922o.jpg
img2925.jpg

add the second batch of browned meat to the pot.

deglaze the pan with some red wine, add liquid to the pot as well. you should have developed a good fond like this:

img2942.jpg
img2943a.jpg

next, peel and slice a head of garlic, and peel and cut the spanish onion into chunks. put saute pan over medium/low heat, and toast the garlic in olive oil, being careful not to burn it.

img2954.jpg
img2955.jpg

when it's golden and soft, add it to the meat and sauce.

img2956.jpg
img2957.jpg

see part 2 for the rest of the instructions: http://www.netcookingtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5810

Last edited: