Friday the 13th what's on the table

Norm

Son is going to make Kalbi (Korean spare ribs) on the grill this weekend. It is raining today so I don't know if he will do it today or not. If not, there are plenty of left overs.

Nancy-MD

I clean out the fridge of leftovers on Fridays so we have pork chops and goulash to choose from.

I just picked the first radishes from the garden, washed them and ate them right on the spot. Now that's fresh!

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
A lot of Asian type food tonight.

Pork loin, taters or rice (maybe gravy), steamed broccoli and carrots here.

Guts

Lazy Friday... just ham sandwiches and a bowl of canned bean and bacon soup.

canned been the bacon soup made with milk. I haven't had that in years,I grew up with this soup,I will have to pick some up the next time I go to the store. Sure sounds good right now.

I think some kind of stirfry chicken with cashew nuts is on the menu for tonight with some rice and egg drop soup

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
canned been the bacon soup made with milk. I haven't had that in years,I grew up with this soup,I will have to pick some up the next time I go to the store. Sure sounds good right now.

I think some kind of stirfry chicken with cashew nuts is on the menu for tonight with some rice and egg drop soup
I love bean with bacon soup but I have never made bean with bacon soup with milk before.

Guts

peeps . I've tried water. That's a no go for me, milk makes it a little more creamier flavor in my opinion. added smoke flavor now there something I haven't thought of.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
peeps . I've tried water. That's a no go for me, milk makes it a little more creamier flavor in my opinion. added smoke flavor now there something I haven't thought of.
I just smush the soup with a potato masher when I want it creamier. LOL Thats what mom did.

K

Kimchee

Lamb meatballs in Golden Curry, with potatoes, cauliflower and zucchini.
Over Basmati rice, with a side dish of creamed peas and fenugreek leaves.
(The peas are frozen fare from the Grand Asia supermarket, surprisingly good stuff, imported from India.)

buckytom

Grill Master
man that sounds good kim.

norm, i love kalbi. are you of korean descent, or have you lived there?

of all the things in the world, when dw was pregnant she craved korean bbq. we ate it every week, sometimes twice for 8 months. now it's a rare treat.

dw is making burgers but i won't get a chance to eat until later. i'm taking a break from putting down weed killer on the lawn. this stuff stinks.
then we have cub scouts, then home to put the boy to bed, then go to a friend's house to visit (he's got colon cancer and he's going through a rough time with the chemo), then i'm back to work. dinner will probably be around 1am.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
We've got leftovers in the fridge. I'm too tired to cook anything. DH can have the leftovers...I just want a can of Progresso Split Pea Soup.

QuirkyCookery

Cheap, easy meal today. Nothing special or different. Rice, ground beef, corn, onions, peppers, spicy dice tomatoes, taco-type seasonings and hot sauce. I ate my own with lettuce and avocado for more of a loaded taco salad.

vwvdyo.jpg

GotGarlic

DH is finishing up a golf game with friends and then I'm going to meet him at a restaurant downtown. I'll probably get a burger and a salad.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
We both got home after 7, and neither wanted to go out to eat. So I pulled out a pint of my s'ghetti sauce, some homemade s'ghetti noodles from the freezer and a few slices of bread, and we called it dinner.

Guts

orange chicken with cashew nuts, rice with seasoned vinegar, egg drop soup with tofu again.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 126

buckytom

Grill Master
thanks norm. i don't mean to pry. just gettin' to know the new guys.

guts, wow! do you have a recipe for the orange chicken? i haven't ordered it in a long time, but i love chicken cashew ding.

Guts

guts, wow! do you have a recipe for the orange chicken? i haven't ordered it in a long time, but i love chicken cashew ding.

You know Bucky I was afraid somebody was going to ask me that. I was experimenting with food color because I wanted the chicken to be orange. So I mixed 6 cc's yellow and 3 cc's of red and added this to the marinade , which was Marin sake and cut up chicken pieces which I marinated for two days. Then I put the chicken in a large bowl and covered it with Kikkoman tempura batter mix. then I deep-fried the chicken for approximately 2 minutes then removed the chicken to drain. Then I added that cashew nuts and they orange sauce that I purchased at Costco. garnish with a little green onion. I don't know if they have panda express nationwide but they seem to have one on every corner like Starbucks out here on the West Coast. It's a pretty good sauce with a little kick to it. It's fairly inexpensive, around five bucks and would cost more to make than to purchase this premade sauce from panda express

www.pandaexpress.com

Attachments

• panda express orange sauce 002.jpg
    panda express orange sauce 002.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 99

buckytom

Grill Master
thanks guts. i think i've seen panda express somewhere around here. the products if not the store.

there's nothing wrong with experimenting with food to make something that nourishes you.

you know, a panda isn't exactly the creature i'd have chosen to represent something quick, lol.

Guts

thanks guts. i think i've seen panda express somewhere around here. the products if not the store.

there's nothing wrong with experimenting with food to make something that nourishes you.

you know, a panda isn't exactly the creature i'd have chosen to represent something quick, lol.

I'll take a guess that they use the panda for their logo because they are indigenous to China. The orange food color that I made and put in the marinade of Marin sake worked well. It went through the cornstarch flour and made the finished product orange in color. I know you can't really see it well in the picture because of the sauce over the battered chicken they look brown the picture. Years ago we had a restaurant here that serve cashew chicken it was basically cashews a chicken hoisin sauce, maybe a touch of plum sauce but the chicken was kind of red in color. I tried everything from cherry juice to Grenadine,5spice powder to get this effect with no luck ended up using red food coloring and it looked just like there's I did a lot of experimenting before I figured that out. But the orange color in the marinade really did come through in the batter and I will do it again. I'm getting way off panda here are and I

lilbopeep

Site Supporter

Bucky There is a Panda Express in a mall on Tonnelle Ave./Rt 1&9 South & 88th St. in North Bergen. We ate at a Panda Express down at Universal Studios (City Walk) last year and the family fell in love.

Panda Express

- 4 reviews - Place page
www.pandaexpress.com - 2100 88th St # F1, North Bergen - (201) 295-8457

Everyones dinners look and sound great. I am about to take (I tried to talk them off but they just gave me lip!!) my dinner pics off the camera and will post shortly.

Last edited:

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Breaded and fried boneless pork loin chop, steamed and buttered fresh broccoli, mashed taters and mushroom pork gravy (fresh mushrooms sautéed in butter with sea salt & ground peppercorns added to an envelope of McCormick dry pork gravy).

051311_breaded_pork_chop.jpg

Carolina Cooking

I am about to talk my dinner pics off the camera and will post shortly.

and what are you going to say to them :weneedpics_smi: lol.

:heart:U